Test Drive Unlimited

Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
LimitZer0

Test Drive Unlimited

Post by LimitZer0 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:33 pm

I have been back and forth on this game until I put some time into the new demo. I love it. It reminds me of a more realistc version of Speed Devils Online (my favorite Dreamcast racing game) but with a huge Need For Speed like world to explore. You stroll around looking for head to head drag races or spots to race a bunch of people. It looks like there will be betting options in the final retail version... I don't know about putting up pink slips, but that was one of the best parts about Speed Devils. While the physics and handling are not perfect, they can be overlooked because the game is so fun. I raced against a ton Xbox Live players, had crashing contests, jumping contests, played tag, etc. The new demo has a 40 minute timer and has online and offline play. So everyone check it out. I will be purchasing this one for sure.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:33 am

I'm picking this game up today....
I was just over on TDU's official website watching the in game videos. I'm friggin BLOWN AWAY!! How can the graphics & game play be SO good yet the game is only 39 bucks?? From what I've seen this is definitely a gem in the rough.

Regarding bugs:
Was over on the TDU forums. It sounds like the guys over at Atari are hard at work on addressing some of the bugs that are plaguing this title. Apparently a patch was released on 9/11 that addressed some of the issues. Atari has always been good about addressing bug & exploits in their games then directly interacting with the userbase on how the gameplay improved through their forums.

On a side note, I'll also be stopping by the music store and picking up the CD- Feels Closer by Layo & Bushwacka. The music on the website ROCKS!! Speaking of which, can you pump your own MP3s into the car stereo while driving?

--SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:26 pm

One of our listeners set up a "club" in TDU, and I have to tell you, that was awesome, that made my day. Joining that club, and pulling up to the "mansion" in my brand new supercar -- that was one of my best gaming moments in months. Thanks for settting that up!

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:18 am

REALLY???
Gonna have to find that! I dying to join a club! TDU is one of those seriously underrated games. I can only imagine what the next version of Test Drive will bring us. I like the fact that they picked an actual place to stage the game in. Using the existing engine and adding new cities is definately the way to go.

I'm dying to take my lamborgini to 120 through the streets of Phoenix, Arizona!

--SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:16 pm

On one of our previous podcasts I stated that the motorcycles in TDU were a huge disappointment and completely unrealistic. After playing the game more, I have to modify that opinion a little bit. It is still true that the motorcycle physics and handling is unrealistic compared to a game like Moto GP (and even that game is not a true simulation the way I would like it to be). On the other hand, once I got over my disappointment with that and accepted the bikes in TDU as fantasy, arcade-style bikes, I found that they are a lot of fun. The ability to weave through traffic and do wheelies and stoppies is a blast. The bikes are also good for racing other players in heavy traffic or on winding routes, because they can fit through small gaps and accelerate hard out of turns.

The more I play this game, the more I appreciate how HUGE it is. There are so many locations, vehicles, races, houses, types of challenges, and things to do. Eventually you will visit every road on the island. There are some challenges that take one or two minutes, and others that take an hour. In terms of value for the money this game is fantastic.

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:35 pm

I was addicted to TDU for a while. I had a great time exploring the island. I think I played over 80 hours. :wink: