Does Gears have IT?

Forum to discuss general gaming topics
raz0red
Site Admin

Does Gears have IT?

Post by raz0red » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:33 pm

Cliffy B of Gears of War recently updated his blog talking about games that have, "IT". It is a very interesting read as he delves into the low level issues that designers face when designing games, yet gamers take for granted.
Everyone wants to know what it is. That certain "je ne sais quoi" that an actress or a restaurant or, say, a game has.

The delta between good to great. The difference between, say, the hot chick on the cover of Low Rider magazine and Scarlett Johansson. There are a zillion girls that are hot in a town like Los Angeles but what is it that a girl like Scarlett has that those other girls are missing?
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=745 ... 4#comments

--Raz.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:45 am

Yeah thats pretty sweet how they go and check those little things. The War Craft 3 part about the cursor laging three frames is just crazy it's only three frames.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:30 am

Man, what a great article.
I've often wondered that myself. There are great & fantastic games and then there are IT games. What is it that some games have vs. other games? Take Unreal Tournament 99 for example. That game had IT. Even though UT2k4 was a great game I just didn't feel IT the same way I did on 99. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that we'll never truly know what IT is. But we sure know IT when it hits us in the face. I really hope GOW has IT.

I haven't felt IT for a long time.
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:03 pm

ahh man i realy need to add u guys on xbox live i didnt get time to add u guys yet and raz0red im pretty upset of how you wrote off splinter cell 4 like that at PAX. thats like my favorite series how can u say its just a advertizment its way more then that man :cry: u broke my heart :cry:

now i can say my first time my heart was broken it wasnt from a girl or a death in the family it was chris smith from twitch asylum video game radio who broke my heart first
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:16 pm

Don't take it so hard, Brass . . . if you knew Chris in real life, you'd know that he is not one to hold back with criticism :-). But he has a lot of good insights into many topics. I haven't seen the game myself, so I'll wait until I know more about it.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:10 pm

Heh, I must have totally missed your reply Brass. No, I wasn't saying Splinter Cell 4 was an advertisement. I was just stating that at PAX, the way they had the frag dolls demonstrating it, etc. made it feel like an out-and-out advertisement (which I am sure it was). But, the title of the session was supposed to be something along the lines of some of Ubisoft's future plans, etc.

--Raz.