First Comedy In Games... Now Terror?

Forum to discuss general gaming topics
iamsjn

First Comedy In Games... Now Terror?

Post by iamsjn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:17 am

What is it with this genre of games lately? Actually, I wouldn't call it a 'genre' but rather a flavor of FPS.
I downloaded F.E.A.R - First Encounter Assault Recon yesterday for the 360 to take it for a test spin. I'd never played it before on the PC so I was anxious to get down to business. From the sound of it, I was preparing myself for another Tom Clancy inspired adventure. Now, up front, I'm a huge fan of first person shooters so I was all set for a great bloodthirsty time.

For the most part it was anyway...

Then came the little girl. Okay, maybe she plays a pivotal roll in the game later down the road but does she constantly have to disrupt my gaming experience by sending me scurrying for another pair of underwear? At one point in the game I turned to head down a ladder to a lower level... BAM!! (insert shocking orchestra sound here) She was standing right in front of me!

Time for another pair of bloomers...

Another time, your heading down a hallway.... CLICK- Lights out. You hear a faint giggle of a young girl. It was everything I could do to make my fingers move that controller forward. Now, was that absolutely necessary?

I GOT BAD GUYS TO KILL!!

DOOM3 was another one of those heart pounders. For those of you that have played it, all I gotta say is "Pinky Demon". When that thing came crashing through the wall while I was in that glass office, I started going numb. It seems that this whole 'in your face' terror addition to FPS games is becoming more and more popular.

I don't know. Maybe I'm the odd man out here. But I just find it hard to have a good time with my assault rifles when I dread every single step forward I have to take.

You all seeing the same M.O? What do you think of adding that element to first person shooters?

--SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:43 pm

i like survival horror fps it just gives u faster reaction time when ur playing...well at least to me itas like buying 2 games into 1 and 2 emotions into 1 like action and horror so u feel scared and exited combine the 2 and u got extra fast awareness
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:27 pm

Heh, I am sort of the opposite. It probably has to do with the fact that I love horror movies, but I really enjoy the horror based games.

F.E.A.R. is a game I am looking very forward to. I am not sure if you have played Condemned yet on the 360, but to this day it is probably my favorite game. It is less a FPS and more of a FPM (First Person Melee) game. I believe that both F.E.A.R. and Condemned are by Monolith, so that might be why they sport a similar genre.

I am also looking forward to the new Alone in the Dark and Alan Wake. Both seem to have the horror aspect to them.

So, yeah, I definitely think that there is a trend. But, for me personally, I hope it is a trend that will continue. :D

And if you are wondering, yes, Amy and I will be heading to see the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre....

--Raz.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:39 pm

Hehehehe...
There isn't enough money in all the banks in town to convince my wife to go see the Texas Chainsaw Massacre!! Hope you have a great time. I'll be going to see it without my better half.

I too love horror movies and have me quite the collection in my DVD library. When it comes to gaming however, for some reason, I like to keep the two separated.

--SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight