It happened, the RROD.

Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
raz0red
Site Admin

It happened, the RROD.

Post by raz0red » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:19 am

Oh man... I have been fearing they would visit me sooner or later, and they did last night. Yes, its true, I have experienced the Red Rings of Death (RROD).

I was playing my 360 and it froze mid-game. I restarted it, and it froze again. Once more I tried, and it froze again. Upon turning it off and on for the fourth time they appeared.

I went to Microsoft's help topic on the RROD, which provided such great advise as remove the hard drive, remove the cables and try again. I knew this wouldn't do anything, but proceeded to try it. Of course, in the end, it did nothing.

Microsoft has stated the failure rate of the 360's somewhere between 2-3%. However, I truly think it is much higher. Oh well, guess I have to go through the process of returning it and paying the repair cost (which is somewhere around $150).

Lame... lame... lame...

I guess I will go play my 2600, NES, or SNES. Those systems still work great after decades of play, my 360 didn't even make it a year.

--Raz.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:00 am

WOW...
Sorry to hear that Raz. I just got done reading up on the now infamous RROD. I'm not liking the sound of the odds of actually getting that error. From what I'm reading, it's not a matter of if it happens but rather a matter of when it happens!!

So far, I'm not seeing any official cause of the problem. Keep us up to date on what you find out!!

--SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:39 pm

Yeah these new consoles do not last. I am on my second xbox and I only used it for four games. We need to go back to cartridges I guess.
Wii Wii Wii

Matt

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:46 pm

Well, it seems Microsoft has finally admitted that issues existed with the launch consoles (like mine).

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/734/734126p1.html
Microsoft said it isolated a pattern of broken systems purchased prior to January 1, 2006. As part of their "ongoing process of analyzing repair data," the company will compensate all owners with an "out of warrantee repair," free of charge if the system was bought before January 1, 2006. Gamers who bought broken consoles after January 1, 2006 will not receive free compensation for broken consoles.
I called Microsoft today and they are sending out a box for me to send my console back in. They said it is approximately a 2 week turnaround and that it will be free of charge. While I will miss my console, this seems like a very class move by Microsoft (and a timely one for me). :D

When I receive my new console, I am going to immediately purchase the 2 year warranty for $59. Anybody worried about their console might want to think about doing the same.

--Raz.

teal

Post by teal » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:14 am

My sincerest regrets for your loss.

At least MS is owning up to their launch quality issues. It's a shame it's taken them so long to do something about it.

In the mean time, there are a few interesting games out on the ps2 right now that could tide you over. Okami looks delicious and Yakuza piques my interest as well.

-t.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:41 am

Teals' right.
Now is an excellent time to get some good PS2 or PSP titles under your belt. Looking for a good (trusted) review of The King of Fighters 2 that was released this month. Another game that looks great is Madden 07 for PSP and don't forget The Godfather: MOB Wars!!

Hang in there bud...

--SjN :wink:

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:35 am

wow thats sad man i hope it goes well for you ,at least i got my good ol xbox which has no problems :)
Last edited by The Brass on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:38 am

I am on my second 360 right now, it actually has an older mfd so I am scared it will break as well. This one freezes now and then as well but not like my first one did. My first one I returned to Costco as they have a no questions asked return policy. I think the amount of 360's having problems is closer to 10%.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:35 pm

Oh man. That is bad. I'm sorry to hear that. At least you still have the DS, PSP, Atari, Apple II etc. It really is kind of funny that the Apple II and other old consoles still work find after 20 years, and the 360 has these problems after less than a year.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:01 pm

Unbelievable...
My brother just called me. He asked me what three red lights mean on the front of an Xbox 360. He bought his Xbox literally 1 month ago! Right now he's going through Microsoft hell...

I'll say it again - If you haven't gotten that Microsoft extended warranty, you'd better get it done NOW. Something tells me it's going to get way uglier.

--SjN

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:40 am

I received my 360 back a couple of days ago. The turnaround from Microsoft was really fast, approximately one week from the time I dropped off my old 360 at UPS. The first thing I did was buy the extended warranty...

I really missed having my 360, there are tons of demos to try out.

--Raz.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:13 pm

raz0red wrote:I received my 360 back a couple of days ago. The turnaround from Microsoft was really fast, approximately one week from the time I dropped off my old 360 at UPS. The first thing I did was buy the extended warranty...

I really missed having my 360, there are tons of demos to try out.

--Raz.
Hahahahaha!!!
Yea, saw you out there this morning jamming on Scramble... Glad your back in business Raz0red!

--SjN