Do you care about backwards compatibility?

Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
raz0red
Site Admin

Do you care about backwards compatibility?

Post by raz0red » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:22 pm

In a recent interview w/ Kikizo Peter Moore states that gamers don't care about backwards compatibility.

http://www.gametab.com/news/584855/
Nobody is concerned anymore about backwards compatibility. We under promised and over delivered on that. It's a very complicated thing... very complex work. I'm just stunned that we have hundreds of games that are backwards compatible."
So what do you guys think? Do you care about backwards compatibility?

I for one don't really care all that much. It would be an added bonus, but if I want to play Xbox games, I just go play them on my Xbox. I learned a long time ago not to give up my old consoles because I will definitely want to go back one day and play them. Also, it just isn't the same playing older games on a newer console (well at least for me). I like to feel the original controller, hearing the original sounds of the drive, etc. etc. I may be a bit crazy.

--Raz.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:18 pm

I too don't care about backwards compatibility. The reason is if I want to play an old game then I'll play it on that console.

Zilch

Post by Zilch » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:04 am

Personally, I don't care since I didn't own the original. A new console should be focused on new games in my opinion. It's a treat for people that owned the original Xbox to be able to consolidate their hardware but, as Raz said, there is something that doesn't feel the same when playing a game through different hardware or emulation. So, no Raz, you are not crazy...unless we both are. :wink:

I generally sell my older systems when new ones are released. Yes, there are some games that would be fun to play again. They hold a great place in my memory. However, when I go back and play older games I find that I just don't get the same thrill out of it as I used to. The games are still entertaining but when time passes many things change. I think that the people you played the games with in the past has just as much impact as the game itself. Sometimes even more.

Ok, so to make my long rant short(er) I also think we should post a statement from the Xbox 360 backward compatability team. The link below is from their blog and addresses the P. Moore statement.

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/ ... 35135.aspx

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:55 am

Interesting. From that statement it seems like they are working on quite a few new backwards compatibility enhancements.

The only game I play in the backwards compat mode is Halo 2. I thought it was pretty cool that they were able to turn on the shaders, etc. to produce a much improved image for HDTV displays.

--Raz.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:24 am

I do care because I sold my Xbox when I got the 360. I believed that most games would work with the 360 either right away or "real soon." But most of my favorites did NOT work with the 360 and still don't as far as I know. Colin McRae Rally was one of them.

There aren't that many games for the 360 yet so being able to rent a new Xbox game and play it on the 360 would have been a plus. I'm disappointed.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:57 am

of course i care i bought a xbox and i want to be able to play my xbox games that i oaid 60$ for!!! on the 360 if im gonna spend 499$
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:26 pm

I never sell my old consoles so it's not a deal breaker but the PS2 being backwards compatible has been nice.

crimsontwin

Post by crimsontwin » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:58 pm

i dont really care about single player games its just the live games
only the insane have strength enough to prosper, only those who prosper can truly judge what is sane.

crimsontwin on xbox live too, add me :)

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:58 am

Backwards compatibility is handy if you're tight on space.

I have too many consoles and computers to have them all out at once, and living in central London (UK) space is an issue, what with my wife's shoe collection, and our kid's toys everywhere. (Look at my profile for a list, which doesn't include 2 PCs and a laptop!).

The PS2 being backwards compatible is great for example. I can keep playing all my fave PS1 games (I love Raystorm) without having that extra console under the TV. My PS1 console is boxed neatly away waiting for the day when we move and i get my "Games Room"!!!!!!!

So if the 360 could be fully backwards compatible I'd go out and get one tomorrow (still haven't bought one, as i have many original Xbox games to play through, some i've not even started yet).

Too many games, too little time. Too many consoles, too little space.