X-Play

Forum to discuss the Playstation family of consoles
R3V3N4N7

X-Play

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:56 pm

I was watching X-Play the other day about the PS3 launch. The reviews on the games were kinda bad. Gundam got a one out of five. The only good review was Resistance Fall of Man. I know it's just the launch but it's a crappy launch.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:25 am

Yeah, the launch titles are not that impressive when you consider most of them are available on the 360 and look just as good (if not better). I read an article recently quoting Sony from the last E3, "the next generation doesn't start until the PS3 is released". The writer of the article was saying that if these are the types of games we are to expect of the PS3, the next generation started a year ago.

Then again, these are just launch titles. I am sure upcoming titles like Metal Gear, Killzone, etc. will be impressive, but they aren't going to be released for quite a while.

Probably the biggest surprise for me about the PS3 is the fact that the online just sucks. Sony has had a long time to look at Live both on the original Xbox and now on the 360, but they are so far behind it is sad. Resistance uses its own buddy lists, chat, etc.

And while I am sure that people will say that I sound like a "fanboy", my information comes from hands on experience. I was one of the lucky? 200,000 or so to get a PS3 at launch. How did I get it? Do I still have it? etc. Well, that is stuff we are going to talk about on the next podcast. :D

The podcast is going to be available on 12/6.

--Raz.

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:14 am

Living in the UK we don't get the chance to purchase a PS3, not for a while anyway, so i was happy to have the opportunity to play "Resistance Fall of Man" in my local Computer Exchange store on an imported PS3.......and i have to say that i wasn't impressed at all. It didn't seem to be too far away from what my normal Xbox could do, and certainly wasn't as impressive as the 360's "Gears of War".
I have yet to buy a next gen console as i'm going to wait until i have seen all 3, but so far the 360 is top of my list to purchase.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:55 am

Yea. It was a bad launch but I have no doubt that you will see great things coming for the PS3. While I don't side with any of the so-called console "camps" as I think they all bring their own unique flavors to the table, I do agree with that writer Raz mentioned that the next generation started a year ago. C'mon the 360 broke some serious ground with it's release. Consoles will never be the same again. I can only image what Nintendo & Sony have up their sleeves.

I'll more than likely be the proud owner of all three by sometime next year!!

--SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:24 pm

Is the online for the PS3 really that bad? I'm hoping that one of my family members gets me a Wii. Maybe I'll just buy it as a gift to myself :D

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:05 pm

Yes, it really is that bad. There is really nothing there to speak of, thus the reason the Insomniac guys had to build in an infrastructure for Resistance: Fall of Man. I have heard the arguments, "well it is free and you pay for Xbox Live", etc. But, right now the PS3 online isn't even competitive. The old saying, "You get what you pay for" is very true in this particular case.

--Raz.

teal

Post by teal » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:41 am

Hey Raz, let me know if you want to hook up on Resistance.

That's right, I scored a PS3 at launch as well. I got mine through the EB preorder so no camping for me! Just had to wake up a little early one morning. I posted a few initial impressions as well as a video on replacing the HD for a site I do some work for.

I haven't gone online with resistance yet. I really like the single player game a lot though. I don't expect much from ps3 online.... just the fact that headsets aren't *standard* is a bit scary... the whole friends list/messaging/chatting thing (or lack thereof) is just plain dumb. But with all that said, I think Resistance has a lot of potential online....I just need to finish the single player before I jump online.

One thing I will say... I'm really disgusted with how the mass media were gushing all over Motorstorm a few weeks ago. That game is shit in it's current state.

-t.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People