Twitch Asylum Video Game Radio Episode #16

Forum containing news postings

Moderator: Admin group

raz0red
Site Admin

Twitch Asylum Video Game Radio Episode #16

Post by raz0red » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:45 am

Our sixteenth podcast is now available! Download it here.

We forgo "the discussion" segment this month so we can devote more time to our "Gaming Moments". The games discussed include Def Jam: Icon (360), Crackdown (360), Battlestations Midway (360), Rainbow Six Vegas (360), Tony Hawk's Project 8 (360), Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters (PSP), Under Defeat (Dreamcast), and many other retro computing and classic arcade titles. In addition, we discuss hacking retro computers to connect to BBSes via Telnet. What is a BBS? You have to listen to the segment to find out.

Our "Retro Respect" segment this time is a discussion of the excellent video game history book, "The Ultimate History of Video Games" by Steven L. Kent. During the segment we cover only a few of the numerous interesting topics in the book including: "a leather company that makes a video game console" and "an exercise that launches the video game craze in motion".

"News" items this time include the January NPD sales numbers, the Wii being the next Hula Hoop, AOL telling people not to buy PS3s, a new Xbox 360 model, and a potential Xbox 360 price drop.
Last edited by raz0red on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:37 pm

sweet thanks for sending another one for us i didnt get to listen to it but i plan to very soon
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:00 pm

Yay! Oh I long I have waited for another episode!

Thanks again guys!

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:14 am

Just finished listening. Good episode.

I've been playing Under Defeat on the Dreamcast too this month. Very nice shooter. Very slick. It's plays great with the official Sega Dreamcast Arcade stick. Nice mix of traditional 2D shooting gameplay in a slightly 3D world if that makes sense?

What was the song at the end of the show you guys were listening to? Did i hear correctly is was about some guy's plonker?

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:42 am

Horprodukt wrote:Just finished listening. Good episode.

I've been playing Under Defeat on the Dreamcast too this month. Very nice shooter. Very slick. It's plays great with the official Sega Dreamcast Arcade stick. Nice mix of traditional 2D shooting gameplay in a slightly 3D world if that makes sense?

What was the song at the end of the show you guys were listening to? Did i hear correctly is was about some guy's plonker?
I don't have an arcade stick for my DC, but I am thinking I need to pick one up to play all the great shmups that have been released in the past couple of years. It would also be nice for Ikaruga.

Yeah, it is a song about a detachable plonker by King Missile. It came out in 93, and has sort of been a cult hit. In fact, it was even a decent hit on radio stations at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Missile

During the episode Tom talked about his detachable hard drive (referring to his 360) and that is why we started laughing. After that segment I was playing the song and just happened to leave the mics on so I figured I would tack it on to the end for those who listen to the whole episode. :D

--Raz.

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:20 pm

Downloading now... looks like a lot of great topics, can't wait to listen.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:32 am

i usualy dont even listen to the whole episode because i fall asleep(i listen to the podcast from my psp in my bed)

and yea if your wondering who it was who was playing with tom it was me and i kept having to pick his a** up in gears of war cause he kept die'in on me, no offense tom
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:12 am

The Brass wrote:and yea if your wondering who it was who was playing with tom it was me and i kept having to pick his a** up in gears of war cause he kept die'in on me, no offense tom
Heh. Tom isn't good at Gears of War? I can't believe it. :D

--Raz.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:31 pm

raz0red wrote:
The Brass wrote:and yea if your wondering who it was who was playing with tom it was me and i kept having to pick his a** up in gears of war cause he kept die'in on me, no offense tom
Heh. Tom isn't good at Gears of War? I can't believe it. :D

--Raz.
yea i could though. And when r me n u gonna play some gears man
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:06 am

The Brass wrote:yea i could though. And when r me n u gonna play some gears man
Ping me anytime I am online (which unfortunately had been rare lately). I am hoping we can set up another Twitch gaming night sometime in the near future and get some full games of Gear going.

--Raz.

ShadraX

Post by ShadraX » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:15 pm

Great show guys! I enjoyed all of the retro gaming talk - especially the Commodore stuff. I'll be doing some Amiga gaming of my own soon since I just picked-up Defender of the Crown 2 for my CD32 off of eBay.

Keep up the excellent work! I'm looking forward to the next show. :)

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:07 pm

GAWD....!!!
Words can't express how much I missed the Asylum gang! THANKS FOR THE EPISODE!

Downloading now!
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:09 pm

ShadraX wrote:Great show guys! I enjoyed all of the retro gaming talk - especially the Commodore stuff. I'll be doing some Amiga gaming of my own soon since I just picked-up Defender of the Crown 2 for my CD32 off of eBay.

Keep up the excellent work! I'm looking forward to the next show. :)
Thanks for the kind words!

Defender of the Crown 2? Oh man, I am jealous. I am also jealous of the fact that you have a CD32 system. I have been looking to buy one on eBay but they always go for the big bucks. Some day...

Please post your impressions of DOTC 2 to let us know what we are missing out on.

--Raz.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:55 pm

iamsjn wrote:GAWD....!!!
Words can't express how much I missed the Asylum gang! THANKS FOR THE EPISODE!

Downloading now!
We really apologize for the delay. I have already started putting together the next show, so it should definitely be delivered on time.

--Raz.

ShadraX

Post by ShadraX » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:47 pm

raz0red wrote:Thanks for the kind words!

Defender of the Crown 2? Oh man, I am jealous. I am also jealous of the fact that you have a CD32 system. I have been looking to buy one on eBay but they always go for the big bucks. Some day...

Please post your impressions of DOTC 2 to let us know what we are missing out on.

--Raz.
I picked-up a CD32 off of eBay last year for a pretty decent price and it came with the TVI modem.

From Gareth Knight's Amiga History Guide : Amiga CD32 Television Interactive - A rather unusual 3rd party device for use with American CD32s. The TVI provided the CD32 with home banking facilities using a television and phone line. Included is the remote control, modem, phone cord and line splitter.

The system I bought just had the modem - no remote control. So the modem is pretty much useless to me right now. But that's ok since I was mainly interested in the CD32 itself when I made the purchase,

As soon as I get DOTC 2 and am able to give it a good run-through, I'll let you know what I think about it. I've heard that it's the best DOTC game and that it's much more difficult than the original.