Twitch Asylum
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Toshiba Pulls Out Of HD DVD
Post Toshiba Pulls Out Of HD DVD 
The rumor about Toshiba walking away from HD DVD is finally confirmed.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200802190503DOWJONESDJONLINE000180_FORTUNE5.htm

Quote:
"We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called next generation format war and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop," said Toshiba President and Chief Executive Atsutoshi Nishida. " It was a tough decision. But it would have a big impact on our management if we continued" the HD DVD business.

I am actually happy that there will only be one format now (Blu-ray). It will be interesting to see how Microsoft will react to this. There are current rumors about a Blu-ray add on for the 360. Should be interesting...

--Raz.

People keep telling me "HD-DVD is dead, you lose" because I own a lot of movies in that format, but I don't understand why people are saying it. It's not like they dont' work anymore, or they are broken or that they are worse than Blu-Ray. They still work, they are still amazing quality. I don't get it. People are odd to me sometimes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yup. I sold all my HD-DVD's via half.com as soon as I got them to help cover the cost of the Toshiba player I bought. Maybe you got some of mine!

I don't regret buying my player, it will still upconvert standard DVD's pretty well, and it is easier for my wife to use than the PS3.

If HD-DVD's come down to a few bucks each, I might even pick up a couple again, just for fun.

I'm bummed about HD-DVD support going away. I prefer using my 360 HD-DVD player far more than the PS3... Mostly because the PS3 doesn't allow you to use a simple IR remote so my Harmony Remote can't talk to it, and I HATE having to dig out a PS3 controller when I want to watch a blu-ray. Ah well. Guess I'll have to go find some stupid little USB-IR dongle for the PS3.

I will say, I'm not at all surprised that Blu-ray "won". But, I did harbor a little hope that hd-dvd would stick around in some fashion since I simply prefer using my 360 for most things.

-t.

I'm bummed about HD-DVD support going away. I prefer using my 360 HD-DVD player far more than the PS3... Mostly because the PS3 doesn't allow you to use a simple IR remote so my Harmony Remote can't talk to it, and I HATE having to dig out a PS3 controller when I want to watch a blu-ray. Ah well. Guess I'll have to go find some stupid little USB-IR dongle for the PS3.

Yup, the inability to use a Harmony with the PS3 totally bums me out. If you go with the dongle, please let us know how it works out.

--Raz.

Can only be good news for consumers that this 'war' has ended really.

Theres a few s/w and h/w tools available to convert from HD-DVD to blu-ray if you need them too

I just picked up a Harmon 520... I love this thing, but it doesn't work with the PS3? I was going to buy a PS3, but if I can't use that remote, I'm going to wait a little while. If you guys figure out a way to make it work, let me know.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1