M.U.L.E

Forum to discuss all things related to retro computers. Commodore 64, Apple ][, Atari ST, Amiga, etc.
raz0red
Site Admin

M.U.L.E

Post by raz0red » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:23 am

RacketBoy recently posted an excellent article on the history and impact of the classic computer game, "M.U.L.E.".

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2008/02/ ... -mule.html

I think this is Dave's (a member of the podcast) favorite game of all time. We recently hooked up a C64 at work, and he plays intermittently throughout the day. M.U.L.E. is one of the games that seems to truly stand the test of time.

The author of M.U.L.E. Dan/Dani Bunten also created the masterpiece, "The Seven Cities of Gold" that is a key part of our upcoming podcast ( #18 ).

--Raz.

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:40 am

Great article. Thanks for posting. I recently purchased a nearly complete A8 collection of the old EA catalog and must say that there is more pure gaming gold in those early releases - especially M.U.L.E. - than I think in the entire lineup of several generations of certain consoles which will go unnamed. The games themselves are all fantastic while the packaging and presentation are equally top notch. Honestly, if the gaming universe began and ended with EA's A8 collection, I think I'd be a happy gamer still indeed.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:11 pm

zodiacprime wrote:Great article. Thanks for posting. I recently purchased a nearly complete A8 collection of the old EA catalog and must say that there is more pure gaming gold in those early releases - especially M.U.L.E. - than I think in the entire lineup of several generations of certain consoles which will go unnamed. The games themselves are all fantastic while the packaging and presentation are equally top notch. Honestly, if the gaming universe began and ended with EA's A8 collection, I think I'd be a happy gamer still indeed.
I am totally with you.

I have very fond memories of the early EA games and their unique packaging (album style). I often think about how a company that was formed primarily to represent their designers as, "Artists" has become a company that doesn't seem to promote creativity and instead focuses on sequels (Madden, etc.). Sad...

Well, I will always have my memories of, "The Seven Cities of Gold", "Adventure Construction Set", "Archon", "M.U.L.E.", "The Bard's Tale", and many many more...

--Raz.

sputicus

I love M.U.L.E.

Post by sputicus » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Just had to post and say that. I am going to try to get the four of us to play a game before we record next.

yeti

Post by yeti » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:24 am

Despite being a huge C64 gamer I must admit to having never played M.U.L.E but im going to check out the article now to see what I missed!

I was aware of the game but somehow it just didn't appeal to me at the time.

I'm not sure of any companies of EA size where creativity is more important that profits so I think its fair to say they disappeared up their own arses ;)

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:44 pm

another great article on M.U.L.E. and Dani Bunten: http://dir.salon.com/story/tech/feature ... index.html