TMNT Arcade game

Forum for retro arcade discussions
vintageclubjunkie

TMNT Arcade game

Post by vintageclubjunkie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:50 pm

I'm picking up my first full-size coin-op game tomorrow. Its Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the first one from 1989. 4-player version (I think they made a 2-player version as well) and the dude is selling it for $250. Oh happy Day. I remember being Ninja turtle crazy back when I was a kid, and a friend's mom took us all to go see Back to the Future III at the theater. There was a crowd of people around this one machine, and I sqeezed my 8-year-old self in between all of them to come upon the most glorious machine I'd seen in my life. Technologically groundbreaking? --no. But a hell of alot of fun? ---yes!!! When the NES game game out as TMNT 2-The Arcade Game, I saved my money for months in anticipation of its release. I picked through couch cushions, old purses and jackets in the closet, and did random chores just to get that game. I bought it the day it came out at my local ChildWorld toy store for $49.99, and I was the envy of many a kid in my neighborhood.

Long live classic arcade gaming.
Ryan Grant
*Long Live the TurboGrafx-16*

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:22 pm

Awesome! and for a very good price as well.

You need to post some pics of it. I recently finished semi-restoring my Defender and have been playing that quite a bit lately. I really do suck at the game, and don't seem to be making any progress... :(

--Raz.

vintageclubjunkie

TMNT the Arcade game

Post by vintageclubjunkie » Tue May 12, 2009 10:12 pm

My son and I have played through it a couple times, (he beats it at least once per day) and I noticed that the NES version actually had 2 more stages. In the NES version there was a snow stage in a park, I believe, and a dojo stage. The snow boss is a panda bear in a leather jacket. The dojo boss is a one-eyed shogun warrior with long black hair and a spear. A few more changes, but usually its the other way around; the 8-bit home version is usually a shortened version of the arcade game, but its actually longer, more difficult and replayable than the arcade, just because of its difficulty.

I've repainted all the non-overlay portions of the cabinet, replaced all the light bulbs, and installed a mute switch on the speaker. I still need to fix one of the mechanisms, replace a leaf switch, a couple dust covers, put on new locks, and plexiglass for the screen.

If anyone has a Turtles in Time 4-player PCB or a 4-Player Sunset Riders PCB that they want to ditch, send me an email.

vintageclubjunkie@hotmail.com
Ryan Grant

vintageclubjunkie

Post by vintageclubjunkie » Tue May 12, 2009 10:26 pm

Ryan Grant

raz0red
Site Admin

Re: TMNT the Arcade game

Post by raz0red » Wed May 13, 2009 6:22 am

vintageclubjunkie wrote:My son and I have played through it a couple times, (he beats it at least once per day) and I noticed that the NES version actually had 2 more stages. In the NES version there was a snow stage in a park, I believe, and a dojo stage. The snow boss is a panda bear in a leather jacket. The dojo boss is a one-eyed shogun warrior with long black hair and a spear. A few more changes, but usually its the other way around; the 8-bit home version is usually a shortened version of the arcade game, but its actually longer, more difficult and replayable than the arcade, just because of its difficulty.

I've repainted all the non-overlay portions of the cabinet, replaced all the light bulbs, and installed a mute switch on the speaker. I still need to fix one of the mechanisms, replace a leaf switch, a couple dust covers, put on new locks, and plexiglass for the screen.

If anyone has a Turtles in Time 4-player PCB or a 4-Player Sunset Riders PCB that they want to ditch, send me an email.

vintageclubjunkie@hotmail.com
Wow, that looks great! The machine looks clean and that 25" monitor looks real sharp.

4-Player Sunset riders is very fun, you should definitely get that PCB.

--Raz.

AllSchoolGamer

Post by AllSchoolGamer » Sat May 16, 2009 7:13 pm

i can say with all honesty that i have never been as jealous of anyone as i am now. thats so awesome mate. a place near where i used to live make arcade cabinets /...must get 1

vintageclubjunkie

Post by vintageclubjunkie » Thu May 21, 2009 5:34 pm

Chis/Razored, is there any place on the site/forums with pics of your home arcade collection? I'm assuming you still have most of the games you've mentioned in the podcasts over the years.
Ryan Grant

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu May 21, 2009 11:37 pm

vintageclubjunkie wrote:Chis/Razored, is there any place on the site/forums with pics of your home arcade collection? I'm assuming you still have most of the games you've mentioned in the podcasts over the years.
Yeah, you can see my current list here:

http://www.zerostatus.com/displayGame.d ... Categories

The list is accurate, however, I haven't added many pics and a lot of the text isn't there yet. I will take some pics of my Space Duel, Defender, and Space Ace and post them this weekend. I have been playing them quite a bit recently so they have moved to the front and are pretty accessible for pics. :D

--Raz.