PS3 controller lacking?

Forum to discuss the Playstation family of consoles
raz0red
Site Admin

PS3 controller lacking?

Post by raz0red » Mon May 29, 2006 7:23 pm

http://www.gamedaily.com/features/?id=1010&page=3

Gamedaily does a breakdown of all the next gen controllers. Probably the most interesting part is what they have to say about the PS3 controller:
Sony's PS3 controller has a long way to go. Despite the fact that it has gyroscopic features built in and returns to the same old Dual Shock formula that the previous controllers did, it feels cheaply put together and seems to have most of its innovation borrowed from that other competitor, the Nintendo Wii. There's not really an original hook here to keep gamers thinking that the PS3 is innovative, even though the controller has that sense of comfort. Fortunately, the very final edition will see Sony giving it a little heft and a push of originality.
I guess this isn't too surprising. It should be interesting to see people's reaction once the PS3 launches.

--Raz.

somdubai

Post by somdubai » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:27 pm

Personally I'm familiar and comfortable with the standard dual-shock format, and so I can't really say I'm disappointed Sony's not necessarily tweaking it just to satisfy a bunch of obsessives. I applaud Nintendo for the innovation they're attempting with their controller. All the attention that's been focused on the comparitively trivial changes (or lack thereof) on the Sony and Microsoft offerings is rather silly though.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:10 pm

The Dual Shock and the Dual Shock 2 were good controllers. My only complaint with it is that it's not to good for the FPS genre. I think that Sony is making a mistake by not changing their controller.