Twitch Asylum Video Game Radio Episode #9

Forum containing news postings

Moderator: Admin group

raz0red
Site Admin

Twitch Asylum Video Game Radio Episode #9

Post by raz0red » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:06 am

Our ninth podcast is now available! Download it here.

In our "discussion" segment we talk about my recent trip to "California Extreme", a classic arcade show in San Jose, California. We discuss the presentations I attended which included an Atari Panel Discussion as well as a presentation by Eugene Jarvis which focused on the making of the classic arcade game, "Robotron: 2084".

During our "Retro Respect" segment, we take a look back at the history of Star Wars video games. We start off the segment by discussing the very early Atari 2600 and arcade-based titles. The segment concludes with a discussion of the latest entries including "Star Wars: Battlefront II", "Knights of the Old Republic II", and "Lego Star Wars".

Our "Gaming Moments" this episode include Prey (360), Moto GP (360), NCAA Football 2007 (360), Super Mario 64 (DS), New Super Mario Bros. (DS), Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS), Loco Roco (PSP), Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (PSP), Star Wars: Empire at War (PC), Heroes of Might and Magic V (PC), and Spaceward Ho! (PC).

In our look at the news we discuss the fact that we will be seeing a new Xbox-live arcade game each Wednesday this summer, that Sony is killing off UMD movies in favor of memory-stick based ones, the ability to downgrade 2.50/2.60 PSPs, PSP 2.71 firmware emulation, the name of John Romero's game studio, and the top 20 games that nobody played.
Last edited by raz0red on Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:34 am

In the podcast we mentioned that we had to skip quite a few Star Wars games.

Some of the ones I wish we had talked about include:

The Star Wars pinball machines:

Star Wars Pinball
Star Wars Trilogy Pinball
Episode 1 Pinball

The computer versions of the Star Wars arcade game:

Star Wars (Atari ST)
Empire Strikes Back (Atari ST)

I will update this page as I think of more...

--Chris.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:40 am

The photos mentioned in the show can be found at the following locations:

California Extreme Arcade Show
Oakhurst, Old Sierra Headquarters

--Chris.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:04 pm

Another great show. It seems a few podcasts had people go to California Extreme, but I really enjoyed the coverage you guys had, a real retrospect and analysis of the creators of the games, unlike the others that just covered the event the way a reporter would which ended up being rather boring. I heard the 1UP podcast before yours as well, and I listened to that latest one and that was it, I won't listen to it again, I couldn't stand it.

Awesome work!

dantebk

Post by dantebk » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:20 am

Even though I've never really gotten into Star Wars, and haven't played most of the games you mentioned, I still really enjoyed the show. I'm mostly familiar with Episode 1 Racer and one of the SNES ones (I can't even remember which one!). Do you think you could post a list of the Star Wars games you guys consider must-plays? I might seek them out...

Can't wait for the next ep!

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:31 am

dantebk wrote:Do you think you could post a list of the Star Wars games you guys consider must-plays? I might seek them out...
I can't speak for the other guys, buy my "must play" list includes (not in any particular order):

1.) The original Star Wars arcade game. (Arcade, Atari ST, Amiga, probably on PC as well)

To me, this was the first game that made you really feel like you were a part of the Star Wars universe. If you can find one, try the sit-down version of the game. I really like the use of color vector graphics, the voice and sound effects, etc.

2.) TIE Fighter (PC)

To me this was the best game in the series, and is definitley a must play.

3.) Super Return of the Jedi (SNES)

I think this was the best side scrolling Star Wars game. The SNES just had such smooth scrolling, great music, etc.

4.) Rogue Squadron 3D (Nintendo 64)

I think this is the best "arcadey" flight game. It really took what was great about Shadows of the Empire and improved them in every way.

5.) Star Wars Episode I : Racer (Nintendo 64)

The only thing that is memorable for me about Episode I was the creation of this game.

6.) Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (PC)

Raven did a great job of bringing the Star Wars universe to the Quake III engine. The multiplayer was a blast, I still play this one from time to time.

7.) Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)

Not a big fan of the RPG genre, this one took me by surprise. I really liked the fact that your decisions impacted how the game progressed. I have always been a fan of the Dark Side.... heh.

--Chris.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:04 pm

My "must play" Star Wars games.

1) Original Star Wars Arcade game. For all the reasons Chris said.

2) Rogue Squadron 3D on N64.

3) Star Wars: Battlefront for PS2. Online multiplayer makes this really fun. The variety of environments, units, and weapons is great, too. And it has a Hoth battle level. But if you don't have a network adapter for multiplayer it might not be worth it.

4) Star Wars Episode I: Racer (N64). This is one of the best racing games for the N64. Maybe the best. The sensation of speed is well done and the control scheme works well.

5) All of the Star Wars pinball games.

6) Knights of the Old Republic. Very good immersion into the Star Wars universe, interesting cities and "social scene".

sputicus

Hamachi

Post by sputicus » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:52 pm

Hey thanks for having me on. It was a blast to join the podcast movement!

I wanted to put a up a link for Hamachi which I think is a very cool utility for linking PCs across firewalls. You can find it at http://hamachi.cc/. The Security Now podcast did a whole show on it; find that at http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm or you can download it directly from the url http://media.grc.com/sn/SN-018.mp3

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:09 pm

omg!!! great podcast and today i made a halo 2 video similar to red vs blue but in my opinion better we just finished making the teaser which is 3 mins long and its a bit cheaply made because i didnt have my action replay to load up the cam but i actualy laughed at some of the parts I will load it up on this site as soon as possible i wait to show u all this cool halo 2 series its gonna be sick

yes and its staring yours truly as FFA BrAsSMoNky

i cant wait to film the first episode

KOTOR 1 and 2 are my most favorite star wars games but then again i havent played many of them it just a fun all around game
Last edited by The Brass on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

iamsjn

Star Wars At The Asylum!!

Post by iamsjn » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:04 pm

AWESOME EPISODE GUYS!!
The Star Wars franchise holds a special spot in my heart when it comes to gaming. 2600 Empire Strikes Back especially! I still remember Santa bringing me that damn game. I got up at 6:00am and didn't stop playing it until bedtime! Every once in awhile, I still pop it in my VCS and get my game on!

Thanks for another fantastic show. Can't wait to see what The Asylum has up their sleeves for the next episode!!

Laters,
SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:11 pm

I don't remember saying anything about starwars games but I may be forgetting.

By the way the name is Matt Saeger abbreviated msaeger I guess Sager is pronounced sa-ger.

It was amazing to hear how many games they made. I don't think the fact that they just clone whatever the popular genre is at the time is any revelation that's pretty much what all license games do.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:28 pm

msaeger wrote:I don't remember saying anything about starwars games but I may be forgetting.

By the way the name is Matt Saeger abbreviated msaeger I guess Sager is pronounced sa-ger.

It was amazing to hear how many games they made. I don't think the fact that they just clone whatever the popular genre is at the time is any revelation that's pretty much what all license games do.
I think you were on the thread discussing the LucasArts games. That is when we decided to do a show on the history of Star Wars games.

I apologize for us butchering your name. I am so used to interpreting 1337 speak that when someone has a normal name, I try to find all of the hidden meanings. :D

I agree with the fact that most licensed games try to plug into whatever is hot at the time. I guess the amazing part about Star Wars is just how many genres they have covered.

--Raz.

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:54 pm

I agree with the fact that most licensed games try to plug into whatever is hot at the time. I guess the amazing part about Star Wars is just how many genres they have covered.
How long 'till the star wars cart racer.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:08 am

msaeger wrote:How long 'till the star wars cart racer.
Believe it or not, it already exists, "Star Wars : Super Bombad Racing".

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/driving/sta ... eview.html

--Raz.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:12 pm

i remember playing duke n nukem for the nitendo 64 that was a realy fun game
OL' DIRTY BASTARD