Twitch Asylum
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Super Mario Bros. 2 was Doki Doki Panic?
Post Super Mario Bros. 2 was Doki Doki Panic? 
In a recent article on About.com, Aaron Stanton goes through the differences between the Japanese release of Doki Doki Panic and the U.S. release of Super Mario Bros. 2. Until I read this article I had no idea that Nintendo released a non-mario game in Japan, and then due to their perception that it wouldn't work in the U.S., put in the Mario-based characters. It is a pretty interesting read...

http://nintendo.about.com/library/mariochanges/blmariodifferences1.htm

Quote:

When Mario 2 for the NES was released in the U.S., it looked and played differently than anyone had expected. It turned out that Mario 2 was not really a Mario title at all, but a game released in Japan as Doki Doki Panic. Nintendo had decided the actual Mario 2 was too difficult for an overseas release and pulled the title and modified Doki Doki instead. In order to make Doki Doki Panic Mario-like, they made some small changes, upgraded the character graphics, and sent "Mario 2" onto the market.

--Raz.

I have always wanted to find Doki Doki Panic so I can compare it to the USA version of mario 2. The USA mario 2 has always been my favorite mario game.

Super mario all stars for the snes has mario lost levels on it which is the same as the original Japanese mario 2. They weren't kidding that it's hard. Go try it if you thought new super mario for the ds was too easy.

Super mario all stars for the snes has mario lost levels on it which is the same as the original Japanese mario 2. They weren't kidding that it's hard. Go try it if you thought new super mario for the ds was too easy.

I have to give that a shot, I still have my SNES hooked up. Thanks for the info!

--Raz.

I think when G4 did an Icons on Mario they mentioned Doki Doki Panic. Thats where the Shy Guys came from.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1