Twitch Asylum Video Game Radio Episode #10

Forum containing news postings

Moderator: Admin group

raz0red
Site Admin

Twitch Asylum Video Game Radio Episode #10

Post by raz0red » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:24 am

Our tenth podcast is now available! Download it here.

In our "discussion" segment we battle back and forth on whether we believe PC games are dying. We also discuss a number of articles that have been posted recently in which several key game developers have stated why they believe PC gaming is currently suffering.

During our "Retro Respect" segment, we take a look back at the history of laser disc-based video games. We start off the segment by discussing the development history of Dragon's Lair. We then go on to discuss several lesser-known laser disc games including: Space Ace, Cliff Hanger, M.A.C.H. 5, Astron Belt, Thayer's Quest, and Time Traveler. We wrap up the segment by discussing Daphne (a laser-disc emulator), the laser-disc DVD games, and laser-disc arcade restoration.

This time we are joined by, Achilles, a Twitch Asylum forum member to discuss what we are currently playing. Our "Gaming Moments" this episode include NCAA Football 2007 (PSP and 360), Galaga (XBL Arcade), Cloning Clyde (XBL Arcade), Trauma Center (DS), Metroid Prime Pinball (DS), The Ship (PC), Star Wars Galaxies (PC), and Prey (PC).
Last edited by raz0red on Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:09 am, edited 9 times in total.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:22 pm

Wednesday, monday, friday? Doesn't matter to me, I'll take any day as long as I get my Twitch Fix!

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:46 pm

word...
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:34 am

yuper dodles
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:25 am

i woke up this morning but what? no podcast :(
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:33 am

It was a scam! They just wanted hits on Wednesday!

No seriously, I'm sure it will be out, they (we) recorded on Monday night.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:38 pm

The podcast is done, I will update the RSS in a bit (probably an hour). So you can get it via iTunes, etc. The direct download won't be available until I get home tonight.

--Raz.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:42 pm

The RSS is now updated. So you should be able to download it. I will update the podcasts page when I get home tonight. But, if you aren't using the RSS feed (podcast), you can directly download it now via the following link:

http://twitchasylum.funband.net/episode0010.mp3

--Raz.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:06 pm

hey great podcast i was one of the topics was my post on the forums :D yeahhh oh yea and just like some body with chin cancer pc gaming it will die out eventualy, all the people who love it better cherish it games like W.O.W. are just kemo therapy .... it only delays the inevitable

3 votes -3votes

and i like football games but i dont like to play them online because like raz i to get owned over and over on madden online
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:14 pm

People have been saying that 'PC gaming is dead' ever since the first console came out. It won't ever happen, as consoles getting better PCs get better. PC change at a faster rate than console and thus are always ahead of consoles, as consoles cannot change the way PCs do, in hardware and components. I'm not saying consoles are bad though, consoles are great and I love playing mine, they are just different, but they will never replace PCs and PCs will never replace consoles. This is an age (20 years) old battle that will see no end.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:24 pm

Achilles wrote:People have been saying that 'PC gaming is dead' ever since the first console came out. It won't ever happen, as consoles getting better PCs get better. PC change at a faster rate than console and thus are always ahead of consoles, as consoles cannot change the way PCs do, in hardware and components. I'm not saying consoles are bad though, consoles are great and I love playing mine, they are just different, but they will never replace PCs and PCs will never replace consoles. This is an age (20 years) old battle that will see no end.
Very true. I don't think PCs will ever die, like I said in the podcast. But, they are declining a bit in popularity due to the rise of the consoles. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 2 years. Previously Consoles and PCs were really two totally different animals. It was hard to compare Super Nintendo, Genesis, etc. to PCs. But now, we have the same games running on both platforms. Sure there are differences, but they are becoming more minimal.

Being an old time gamer, I remember when people used to say home consoles will never be as good as the arcade games. But, look now. Consoles have passed arcade games, and you really don't see many arcades around.

Just to reiterate, I don't believe PC gaming will ever die. But, I do think there will be a gradual decrease over time as those non-hard core PC gamers move to consoles for a variety of reasons (money, gaming variety, wanting to play on a home theater system, etc.).

--Raz.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:18 pm

master but remeber the cost of next gen on pc is from 300 to 1000 dollers and that wont even last for long because u have to upgrade it next yearvs the consol which gives u next gen at a 500 doller price

o yea every one click download on one of the podcasts and click yahooo podcast so u can vote for twitchasylum i voted a 5 star(of course) and i gave a good feedback
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 am

In the podcast I mention the Dragon's Lair machine that I restored.

Here are some pics:

http://www.zerostatus.com/displayGame.d ... e&gameId=7

Here are some pics of the Centipede cabaret that I am currently in the process of restoring:

http://www.zerostatus.com/displayGame.d ... &gameId=2y

--Raz.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:41 am

Okay first off -

Raz0red: You suck for having such a COOL Dragon's Lair coin-op!! I would kill for one of those. After searching around the net, I was finding DL cabinets for around 3 - 4 grand. Thats crazy.

Got a funny story about Dragon's Lair. Every time I run across one at the Arcades (Golfland Sunsplash - Tempe Arizona has one) I get hungry for Little Debbie Oatmeal Pies. This is because when I was in the 11 grade my friend and I would walk down to the local 7-11 every single day, buy 5 oatmeal pies for a buck and spend whats left of my 5 dollars (lunch money) on DRAGON'S LAIR! Thanks for bringing up this topic. It was GREAT listening to it and once again, you took me back to the good ol' days of gaming!

Quick question - what music were you playing during the break in between the games you all are playing segment & the laser disc segment? I gotta get that!

THANKS FOR ANOTHER AWESOME SHOW!
I'll be throwing out some POSITIVE comments over on iTunes and Yahoo tonight!

SjN :wink:
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

dantebk

Post by dantebk » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:07 pm

Just listened to the podcast. Great work as always.

Few thoughts...

I've never played any of the laserdisc titles in the arcade, but I do have a SEGA CD. I've played both Dragon's Lair and Space Ace, and I must say I do not like them. Maybe I'm a wuss, or just impatient, but I don't want to sit there forever and guess what direction to push and when. The only game of that type that I really like is Road Avenger, also for SEGA CD, because it tells you what direction to push and when to turbo and when to break. You guys who grew up with Dragon's Lair might think that's too easy, but the cartoon you're navigating is so over-the-top that I still think it's a blast to play. You get to drive a car through a restaurant for pete's sake.

PC dying? No way! There are still too many great genres that play better on the PC than on any other console. Real-Time Strategy, FPS, and of course my all-time favorite the adventure game! Some of my favorite all time games like No One Lives Forever, Monkey Island, and Freedom Force, just would not be the same on a console. Recently I upgraded my PC to be able to play Elder Scrolls Oblivion, and to test it I downloaded the Call of Duty 2 demo (which I'd already tried on a 360 display at Circuit City) and after that I felt like I made the right choice. The gameplay just felt more natural on the PC with the mouse + keyboard.

As for the cost, my video card was only $100, and I saved $30 getting Oblivion for PC vs. the 360 price. You can say a PC itself costs over $1,000, but it's not like you're not going to get a PC anyway for internet, word processing, etc. You might as well get a video card and play some great games on it.