GridWars

Forum to discuss all things related to PC gaming
raz0red
Site Admin

GridWars

Post by raz0red » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:22 pm

No 360 yet, maybe never, and missing Geometry Wars?

Well, Incitti has created a version using BlitzBasic/BlitzMax which is very impressive.

http://www.incitti.com/Blitz/

All props go to the Shane R. Monrow of Retro Gaming Radio for the heads up.

--Raz.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:40 pm

Ok, well, I remembered reading once that you could use a XBox 360 controller with the PC. However, I found that you need a "wired" one. I needed an extra controller anyway, so I went out and bought one. Hooked it up, and was fairly quickly (needed to tweak it a bit) playing Grid Wars 2 w/ my 360 controller.

Well, after playing it a while, the main problem I have with it is the speed of your ship. One thing that is cool about Geometry Wars is the hectic pace that it has. Unforunately, it seems that grid wars speed runs at about 1/3 the pace. Not sure why this is, but in the next version, it should definitely be increased.

The other thing that I found that was different is that in Geometry Wars, you have to take care of the "holes". Those are the things that suck the enemies (and you) into. If you don't keep up, they will explode and stuff will come racing at you at a blistering speed. This isn't as necessary w/ Grid Wars due to the slower speed. You can sit back and just take out wave after wave w/o really moving too much.

I was up to 800k on my first guy, on the hard level, and the thing had a "Memory Error" and crashed... sigh.

Overall, it is a great game, but I think they need to increase the speed, make you manage the holes, and add a sound track.. that also makes it feel sort of empty.

Now, let me see if I can get the TimeShift PC demo to play w/ this 360 controller... heh.

--Raz.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:11 am

I still keep thinking that there must be a way to use the black holes to suck in the enemies and then destroy them just in the nick of time. But so far I have found more success with destroying the holes right away.