Commando

Forum for discussions of retro consoles. Neo Geo, 2600, Odyssey, PSX, and sadly the Dreamcast.
R3V3N4N7

Commando

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:55 am

Anyone remember the game Commando for the NES? It was a top down view. You ran around saving hostages, shooting people, and threw grenades.

raz0red
Site Admin

Re: Commando

Post by raz0red » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:36 am

R3V3N4N7 wrote:Anyone remember the game Commando for the NES? It was a top down view. You ran around saving hostages, shooting people, and threw grenades.
Yeah, I totally remember it. In fact, I used to own the arcade game.

http://www.zerostatus.com/displayGame.d ... e&gameId=c

However, I sold it to free up space for other games. I hate when I have to sell games, but it is something I have to do from time to time to keep the wife happy. :(

As a side note, I sold the Commando to this guy named Bill Carlton. He recently had a documentary made about him and his attempt to set the world record on Missile Command.

http://www.highscoremovie.com/about-synopsis.html

I really like Commando, it was a big hit when it first came out in the arcades. For some reason, it doesn't seem to hold the nostalgic factor for a lot of people, but I still enjoy it. It also had a great port done on the C-64 which I used to play all the time.

--Raz.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:31 pm

Me and my dad would play it together. So it has some nostalgic factor for me.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:50 am

R3V3N4N7 wrote:Me and my dad would play it together. So it has some nostalgic factor for me.
I used to play it a ton at the arcade in a local mall. I was even thinking about this game when I was playing COD2 the other day. I was trying to think if I could have ever imagined COD2 being the evolution of Commando, "back in the day". My guess is no. Games have probably surpassed anything I could have ever imagined back then.

That is pretty crazy when you think about it. It will be very interesting to see if the next 10-15 years holds the same amount of change. Will we be saying, "Man, I could have never imagined this when I was playing COD2 back in 2006.".

--Raz.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:30 am

cant say i remember that game probably wasnt born then
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:36 pm

I was thinking I'd seen a copy around the house somewhere, and sure enough when I found it and dusted it off, I realized it was for the Inellivision. Inspired I dusted off the Intelly and played it a bit... It is waaay different looking than the NES or Arcade game from which it is based, but is still totally fun and true enough to the arcade - and very tough! So instead of Super Joe, imagine 'The Running Man' kickin' ass in 'Nam. The graphics are scaled out a bit (meaning: your character is smaller) but despite this, the terrain looks highly detailed and colorful (ok remember, we're talking Intellivision here). The game uses the Intelly's disc controller well and since Super "Runnin' Man" Joe can fire in what appears to be 32 directions don't expect to have much fun running this under emulation (unless you've got that little jimmy that connects your intelly controllers to the PC).

So, thanks for the inspiration, I'll be playing this one again for sure.

Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:26 am

I had Commando for the C64. Played that sucker like a madman. I believe the repeating music theme has been permanently etched into my brain.

Dafuco0901

Post by Dafuco0901 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:14 am

Very good information I see there are realy useful tips. I am going to use some i would be glad if u visit my Artikelverzeichnis. but u need understood german

meilleur taux voiture simulation credit auto pret automobileUne simulation credit auto instannee et facile ici si vous avez une voituremeilleur taux voiture simulation credit auto pret automobile