Twitch Asylum Video Game Radio Episode #11

Forum containing news postings

Moderator: Admin group

raz0red
Site Admin

Twitch Asylum Video Game Radio Episode #11

Post by raz0red » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:10 am

Our eleventh podcast is now available! Download it here.

In our "discussion" segment we discuss the limited life of console on-line games. During the segment we talk about EA's recent announcement regarding the closure of the on-line servers for many of their games. We also take a look back at the Dreamcast, the first on-line console and discuss whether any of its on-line games are still supported.

During our "Retro Respect" segment, we take a look back at the history of Infocom, famous for their sophisticated text adventure games. We start off the segment by discussing how Zork transformed from a game that was originally written for a mainframe to a game that was a phenomenon on the early personal computers. The segment continues as we discuss the rise and fall of Infocom, including their attempts at cracking into the business software market.

This time we are joined by, DanteBK, a Twitch Asylum forum member to discuss what we are currently playing. Our "Gaming Moments" this episode include Dead Rising (360), Goku Makimura / Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins (PSP), Extend Every Extra (PSP), Hitman: Blood Money (360), Pac-Man (XBLA), Perfect Dark (N64), King's Quest VIII (PC), and Oblivion (PC).

In our look at the news we discuss DRM issues related to the Xbox-live marketplace, the fact that the PS2 outsold the 360 in July, the reveal of Microsoft's HD-DVD drive, the announcement that anyone will be able to create 360 arcade games, and the brisk sales of Call of Duty maps.
Last edited by raz0red on Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:26 am

My twitch fix! I shall listen today, instead of doing actual work at work. Got to love it!

dantebk

Post by dantebk » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Okay, I just finished listening and am posting from work. Few thoughts...

Thanks for having me on! I had a good time, and didn't sound like nearly as much of an ass as I thought I did after I hung up with you guys. The thing is, you guys were hearing me on a delay of some sort. Like whenever I said anything, I would hear two seconds of silence while you guys were listening to me, and then your response. This made me really nervous about how it was sounding --like was I constantly interrupting you? were my comments even understandable? but luckily, everything sounded totally great on the podcast itself. No problems there.

Except my voice! Ack! I sound like a little nasally kid. I'm actually a nasally 24-year-old for everyone's information. I've even been in the Navy. You would've thought at some point my voice would deepen but I guess not.

Love the retro respect as always, though the text adventures are a little before my time, I do have vague memories of playing them somewhere at sometime, though I must've been real little and it must've been at someone else's house.

Finally, that segment after the show seems to be over is literally the funniest thing I've heard in months. I was laughing so hard I had tears streaming down my cheeks, no lie. Everyone in my office must think I'm a mental patient.

Please, I have to know, did you ever get into that house?? and what was in there??

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:00 pm

We never got in the house. The voice recognition over the phone was not quite up to understanding us. If you do get into the house, that is how you get to the Great Underground Empire of Zork.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:44 pm

loving the podcast

and dante whats wrong with havin a kids voice :x
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:23 am

dantebk wrote:This made me really nervous about how it was sounding --like was I constantly interrupting you? were my comments even understandable? but luckily, everything sounded totally great on the podcast itself. No problems there.

Except my voice! Ack! I sound like a little nasally kid. I'm actually a nasally 24-year-old for everyone's information. I've even been in the Navy. You would've thought at some point my voice would deepen but I guess not.
Yeah, we have been having some delay issues when using Skype in combination with a telephone. Luckily the software we use allows us to record on multiple tracks, so I can cut out all of the pauses, etc.

And regarding the voice thing, it took me a while to get used to hearing my own voice as well. At first I was the same way, "I sound like that? I sound like a punk!". After a while I just got numb to it.
dantebk wrote: Finally, that segment after the show seems to be over is literally the funniest thing I've heard in months. I was laughing so hard I had tears streaming down my cheeks, no lie. Everyone in my office must think I'm a mental patient.

Please, I have to know, did you ever get into that house?? and what was in there??

As Tom said, we never got into the house, sadly. We actually went on a bit longer than that trying before finall giving up. A friend of mine said he has been able to get into the house, enter the Underground Empire, etc. We just must have lame voices that it can't understand... :D

--Raz.

dantebk

Post by dantebk » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:18 am

The Brass wrote:loving the podcast

and dante whats wrong with havin a kids voice :x
I totally recommend it for kids, but not so much for myself

Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:48 am

I was laughing at the end there too. I think your voice recognition software is psychopathic, considering its obsession with killing things!

D_Davis

Post by D_Davis » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:57 pm

The GAMECUBE microphone refuses to recognize my voice - whenever we play MARIO PARTY 2,453 or whatever, and there is a voice-activated minigame, I lose.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:08 pm

yea if i were gonna compare dante to any one in the world it would be luke from 1up yours weekly podcast
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

D_Davis

Post by D_Davis » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:14 pm

The Brass wrote:yea if i were gonna compare dante to any one in the world it would be luke from 1up yours weekly podcast
OUCH! :)

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:11 pm

:lol: he hehehehehe
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:06 pm

I finally got to listen to this today. As always, a great show. I love how you guys do the classic gaming each time, although this time the Infocom was one of the best you have done. A great way to go back to those days of when I first first started gaming, as a child. I really had no idea what I was doing with those text adventures but was able to pick up on it later on in my years. Great great segment!!

DanteBK good luck with King's Quest 8. It was fun, for what it was, a simple 3D KQ game. It wasn't great, nothing ground breaking, but still fun I thought.

Once again I got my GF to listen to the whole thing and again she enjoyed the classic gaming section, she even said and I quote directly "What games were those agian, they sound really interesting? Do you have them? I want to try one." So it looks like if nothing else you got a non-gaming girl interested in some old old classic games. Good work!!

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:03 pm

Achilles wrote:I finally got to listen to this today. As always, a great show. I love how you guys do the classic gaming each time, although this time the Infocom was one of the best you have done. A great way to go back to those days of when I first first started gaming, as a child. I really had no idea what I was doing with those text adventures but was able to pick up on it later on in my years. Great great segment!!

DanteBK good luck with King's Quest 8. It was fun, for what it was, a simple 3D KQ game. It wasn't great, nothing ground breaking, but still fun I thought.

Once again I got my GF to listen to the whole thing and again she enjoyed the classic gaming section, she even said and I quote directly "What games were those agian, they sound really interesting? Do you have them? I want to try one." So it looks like if nothing else you got a non-gaming girl interested in some old old classic games. Good work!!
Thanks for the kind words!

I can't believe your GF listens to the entire thing. Even more shocking is the fact that she is interested in it.

Now if I could just get my wife interested in gaming... Heh. That will never happen. :D

--Raz.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:09 pm

RAZOR TOM N WOODY YOU ALL ROCK WOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I LOVE TWITCH ASYLUM SO GREAT

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GREAT
OL' DIRTY BASTARD