Hd-DVD or blu gay *cough* my bad, blu ray

Forum to discuss general gaming topics
The Brass

Hd-DVD or blu gay *cough* my bad, blu ray

Post by The Brass » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:20 pm

there has been a sort of hardwear wars between theys two disc

hd dvd i herd has a newer more updated codec from 2001 so it will have high quality movies blu ray on the other hand has a older codec made in the 1890 yes that long ago so it does have more space but for the movie quality its the hd and also how much gigabites of a movie can u actualy put on a disc there is so much bonus fetures u can put on a movie so why need the 200gb of space if ur not gonna use it for a dvd?

this moth hd dvd players out sold blu ray players by 30%

as it shows people go for things that are cheaper and the blue ray disc cost a ton of cash to produce and the players also cost a 2thosand dollers and it is also more simple if some one came across a hd dvd u would thing oh its a dvd that has hd quality but if u see a 2 thousand doller blue ray player ur gonna say wtf if blu ray and why is it so expensive(to average ppl)

this in some way will justify if ps3 will sucseed one of the reasons ppl will buy ps3 is for the blu ray and if the blu ray is a dead disc that no body uses but sony u gotta wonder if that will pile on to the bashing that sony has tooken

any ways thats just me post ur comments on which one is better and ur thoughts if u see this post :D
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:10 pm

Forums are for sober people only!

j/k

I don't care about either format at this point in time. However, I do wish Sony would not put a "Blu-Gay" player in the PS3 to reduce the cost.

Does anyone remember when ebgames would push those Disc Dr. things on everyone? I remember going to buy a GBA, but they only offered it in a bundle with some crappy game and a Disc Dr. How the hell does that make any sense? Don't ask why I just posted that... But here is a picture of Chewbacca:

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:09 am

i think the correct term is chewy not chewbaca 8)
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:07 am

I sort of feel both players are in trouble. Unlike when DVDs (or even the VCRs) were introduced and could be hooked up to traditional televisions, the HD players need to be hooked to an HDTV to unlock their potential. I don't know about you, but the majority of people I know still have traditional televisions. Therefore, they wouldn't have any interest in these types of players. I would say it will be at least 5 years (possibly more) before HDTVs are in the majority of houses.

This seems to be backed up in this recent article regarding the sales numbers:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/18/hddvd_bluray/
Overall high-def players are still playing an insignificant role of all disc player sales in the market. NPD said that HD DVD and Blu-ray players accounted for only 0.4% of all disc player sales. DVD players came in at 86.2%, DVD recorders at 13.4%.
It could be everyone is waiting for the PS3, but I really doubt that. I don't think technophiles (of the non-gaming variety) would use a video game system as their primary mechanism for watching HD content. This is sort of why I question Blu-ray being standard in the PS3. While, I think it is a cool feature, it just adds way too much to the cost of the overall device when it might not be a huge factor in its success. I think M$ will be able to drop their prices much quicker than the PS3 based on the hardware.

However, if Blu-ray does become the standard, and there are some decent games, I will definitely be picking up a PS3.

--Raz.

D_Davis

Post by D_Davis » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:59 am

Good discussion - but you know what I find sad? The fact that this generation is being defined by HD, BLUE RAY, and Screen Resolution. Uhm, What happened to defining a good system based on THE GAMES?

I made a vow, and that was:

DVDs will be the last physical media storage I buy. There is no way in hell I am replacing my 1000+ DVDs, or buying any new format. The next 'format' I get into will be strictly digital. I want all of my movies on a Player/Jukebox, stored in some server closet in my house, connected to every room.

I just can't get excited about HD or BR, but what I can get excited about is some good games, regardless of how they are delivered to my system. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lack of good games right now. Now this really sucks! But, I guess that's why God invented MAME :D

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:35 am

D_Davis wrote:Good discussion - but you know what I find sad? The fact that this generation is being defined by HD, BLUE RAY, and Screen Resolution. Uhm, What happened to defining a good system based on THE GAMES?

DVDs will be the last physical media storage I buy. There is no way in hell I am replacing my 1000+ DVDs, or buying any new format. The next 'format' I get into will be strictly digital. I want all of my movies on a Player/Jukebox, stored in some server closet in my house, connected to every room.

I just can't get excited about HD or BR, but what I can get excited about is some good games, regardless of how they are delivered to my system. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lack of good games right now. Now this really sucks! But, I guess that's why God invented MAME :D
Unlike the switch from VHS to DVD, you will actually be able to use DVDs on the new players. So you can keep all of your DVDs and buy new or specific movies for HD if you so choose.

Games can still make or break a system, but the next gen consoles want to be media stations as well.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

I've seen the difference (or lack thereof) of DVD, Blue Ray & HDDVD. I've got over 300 DVDs in my collection right now and even though the technologies are "said" to be backwards compatible, the difference in quality is not drastic enough unlike the transition from VHS to DVD to warrant an upgrade.

I'll be sticking around with DVD for some time to come.
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:36 pm

LimitZer0 wrote:
D_Davis wrote:Good discussion - but you know what I find sad? The fact that this generation is being defined by HD, BLUE RAY, and Screen Resolution. Uhm, What happened to defining a good system based on THE GAMES?

Unlike the switch from VHS to DVD, you will actually be able to use DVDs on the new players. So you can keep all of your DVDs and buy new or specific movies for HD if you so choose..

limit hit it right on the nose of were i was tryna get at the next gen consols will be more then just a game player they will be a media station and i expect nothing less out of something that5 cost 400 to 600 dollers it has to do more then one thing
Games can still make or break a system, but the next gen consoles must do more then that
OL' DIRTY BASTARD