A Gamer's Frustration...

Forum to discuss general gaming topics
iamsjn

A Gamer's Frustration...

Post by iamsjn » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:00 pm

Okay,
I'm going to be frank here. (Well, not literally...)

I've reached the ripe old age of 39. In gamer terms, I might as well have one foot in the grave which is partly the reason for this post. I've been gaming since the days of the 2600 and have enjoyed graduating from that beloved Atari console to these strange 'boxes' called computers. Commodore VIC & 64, Amiga, Apple II & IIe then finally the PC (286, 386, 486 and up to pentiums...) along with the rise of the Internets. It's been a great ride.

Enter the spawn of SjN, my son Matthew. Born in 1991, he's now 15 years old.
With my ripe old age, experience and overall knowledge, I have to pose just one single solitary question - - -

WHY DOES MY SON OWN ME ON EVERY SINGLE GAME WE PLAY!!!

I just don't friggin get it!! It's not like I don't ever play resulting in being out of practice. I game DAILY!! I'm ONLY 39 years old! Are my relexes and hand/eye coordination THAT far gone to not even be able to compete with him? What the heck is going on? Right now I just got the pleasure of having my ass handed to me on a silver platter while gaming at Fight Night Round 3. No matter what the game, Fight Night, Dead Rising, Moto GP, Madden...etc...etc...etc... my son always, and I mean ALWAYS has waaay more achievements, than I do, generally scores many more points in a single round than I do, and ultimately devours me in multiplayer games. I sooo want to kick is under-aged, little butt in a game. ANY GAME!!! I'm sick and tired of that smirk....

I want to know from every one both younger and older, what's the deal? Is it just a natural "knack" that younger minds have at gaming? Is getting older THAT drastically different?

Anyone else ever felt the frustration of being owned by the younger generation? Or am I the oldest fossil over here at the Asylum??

&$^#W%#%$@!!! IT'S FRUSTRATING!!!!!
--SjN :evil:
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:56 pm

Hey ya fossil :) I'm 33.

I can't believe it would be just the age factor. Try going online during the summer on a weekday and see if you get kicked.
Wii Wii Wii

Matt

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:14 pm

face it the new generation is faster....stronger....smarter and overalll we make better gamers then the last generation such as yourself
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:04 pm

The "new" generation scares me, and I am part of it, being 22. I fear the day we lead this country, as we will most likely be either running a country that is totally out of control, or push it to that point.

You could try using dirty tactics, maybe pushing him over as he makes a crucial attack in a game or unplugging his controller :-)

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:38 pm

You may game daily, but I can guarantee your son plays way more than you. That is probably the biggest reason. Since you don't have the time to play as much as him, I would just choose one game to practice and own him at. Your age can be somewhat of a disadvantage, but not the end of the world. Focus on games that require more strategy than reaction time. You should be able to own him at Madden with more practice. Sports games are mainly for adults in my opinion. Kids usually can't see the strategy in them.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:25 pm

I'm 17 and my brother is 13. He can own me at Madden. I can play that game forever and only beat him a few times. The thing is that my brother can only really own me at sport games. My uncle on the other hand who is about 40 can own me in Quake 2 and 3. The reason being my uncle is a computer wizard and plays on them a lot more then I do. I don't know if this is the case but try lanning with your son instead of having a console war.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:00 pm

R3V3N4N7 wrote:I'm 17 and my brother is 13. He can own me at Madden. I can play that game forever and only beat him a few times. The thing is that my brother can only really own me at sport games. My uncle on the other hand who is about 40 can own me in Quake 2 and 3. The reason being my uncle is a computer wizard and plays on them a lot more then I do. I don't know if this is the case but try lanning with your son instead of having a console war.
Your right there R3V.
We game pretty regularly on LAN. Usually doing something like UT2Kr or Battlefield.
He gets me sometimes but I'd say we're probably pretty even matched when it comes to LAN gaming. He's on consoles WAY more than I am. Mainly because I prefer PC gaming to the consoles (360 is changing all of that however...)

--SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:44 am

I have to agree with LimitZer0 on this one. They have way more time to play the games then we do. Even though I try to game a lot, I can't keep up with the level of gaming my Wife's little brother puts forth. I just have too many other things I need to do and can't focus like I used to.

But, here is something that I find amusing. He can own me at games like Halo / Halo 2, etc. But, he can't get past the first level of Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr. Further, I can own him at Centipede and Asteroids all day long. To me, that says something. Are todays games really easier? What I mean by that is, sure, there are many buttons to press, etc. But, there seems it seems like timing and accuracy isn't as critical as it used to be. What do you guys think?

--Raz.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:27 pm

raz0red wrote:I have to agree with LimitZer0 on this one. They have way more time to play the games then we do. Even though I try to game a lot, I can't keep up with the level of gaming my Wife's little brother puts forth. I just have too many other things I need to do and can't focus like I used to.

But, here is something that I find amusing. He can own me at games like Halo / Halo 2, etc. But, he can't get past the first level of Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr. Further, I can own him at Centipede and Asteroids all day long. To me, that says something. Are todays games really easier? What I mean by that is, sure, there are many buttons to press, etc. But, there seems it seems like timing and accuracy isn't as critical as it used to be. What do you guys think?

--Raz.
I think that todays games are easier in some ways. One being that timing isn't that big of an issue as it once was. It's funny because my girlfriend can own at Pac-man and I die in the first level. Give me a FPS or a good fighting game and I can really shine. So yes games of yesteryear were harder because alot of it was with timing.