Twitch Asylum Video Game Radio Episode #8

Forum containing news postings

Moderator: Admin group

dragon57

Post by dragon57 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:12 pm

Great podcast. The segment on ID was great.

One comment concerning the abandonware segment. Although I no way condone what people are doing, the one comment about old titles that are later marketed on newer platforms proving that 'abandonware' isn't a good idea doesn't quite ring true. Rarely if ever are old titles updated such that the game is true to the original. I would much rather play the original if I can obtain it rather than any new version of an old game. The only updating I have seen that I would care to have are the Intellivision games that use very acurate emulation.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:51 pm

dragon57 wrote: One comment concerning the abandonware segment. Although I no way condone what people are doing, the one comment about old titles that are later marketed on newer platforms proving that 'abandonware' isn't a good idea doesn't quite ring true. Rarely if ever are old titles updated such that the game is true to the original. I would much rather play the original if I can obtain it rather than any new version of an old game. The only updating I have seen that I would care to have are the Intellivision games that use very acurate emulation.
Yeah, I totally agree. I guess I was referring to packages that are released on modern platforms that are true emulation.

My thing is, I can see that definitely being an issue (true emulation on a modern platform). But, when you are using the images to play the games on the original platform (ie an Apple ][e, etc.), I don't think that is the same thing. Because, nobody is still producing (or likely ever will) the product on that antiquated system.

--Raz.

dragon57

Post by dragon57 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:23 pm

raz0red wrote:Yeah, I totally agree. I guess I was referring to packages that are released on modern platforms that are true emulation.

My thing is, I can see that definitely being an issue (true emulation on a modern platform). But, when you are using the images to play the games on the original platform (ie an Apple ][e, etc.), I don't think that is the same thing. Because, nobody is still producing (or likely ever will) the product on that antiquated system.

--Raz.
I hear you, but most of the modern packages that purport to have true emulation of old games that I have tried just don't cut it. Some come close, but most are pretty sad. It is sad to say the most homebrew emulators run the original images much better than the commercial attempts. Most publishers don't care about the original gameplay and just want to make a quick buck of the old time gamers. I hope this changes because most of my old hardware is slowly dieing and emulation is all I will have left very soon.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:13 am

Great show guys. Although the segment about ID was long, it was great every second. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it, as like most, I knew some of the story behind ID and Doom and such, but not really all, and I am glad I do now, it add a whole new perspective to the games they create. I got my girlfriend to listen to the whole thing as well, and although she is not into gaming nearly at all, she loved the show and asked recently 'when is the next Twitch thing coming out?', to which I had to reply that I wasn't sure.

Keep up the amazing work, and I, like all others here, cannot wait for the next one!

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:21 am

Achilles wrote: I got my girlfriend to listen to the whole thing as well, and although she is not into gaming nearly at all, she loved the show and asked recently 'when is the next Twitch thing coming out?', to which I had to reply that I wasn't sure.
Wow! I can't believe your girlfriend listened to the entire Id segment. I have trouble getting my wife to listen to 10 minutes of it before she gets bored. :D

As for when the next show is coming out, it just got posted. Sorry about the long time between podcasts this time, the next one will post in two weeks.

Thanks for listening (and please thank your girlfriend too).

--Chris.