New Video Card vs. XBox 360 (ack!)

Forum to discuss general gaming topics
dantebk

New Video Card vs. XBox 360 (ack!)

Post by dantebk » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:06 pm

I don't usually like RPGs, but I have fond memories of Daggerfall on my PC back in high school, and Elder Scrolls Oblivion sounds like Daggerfall on herbal supplements. I'm very interested in checking it out, only I don't have an XBox 360...

So I used System Requirements Lab (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest) to see if I could run Oblivion on my PC. Everything checked out okay except my video card. The card the website recomended is like $160, whereas an XBox 360 is $400...

I've never owned an XBox system (I have PS2, GameCube, N64, SNES, NES, Genesis, Gameboy Advance), but after hearing so much about it on this podcast, I'm starting to get pretty curious. Still, money is a big factor, and if I had that video card, I could play Halo, and probably Grand Theft Auto IV when it comes out, so is that a pretty effective way to save money is or is it a third-rate placeholder?

Any thoughts from the board?

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:55 pm

I haven't played either but I would get the pc version. Then you can get all the mods people come up with for free. Plus the pc version of the game is cheaper.

Have you checked out morrowind it is similar to oblivion (previous game) but it's older so it would probably run on what you have now.

http://pc.ign.com/objects/014/014332.html
Wii Wii Wii

Matt

dantebk

Post by dantebk » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:09 pm

I'd never heard of Morrowind until I started reading reviews for Oblivion (not much of an RPG guy), but the reviews I read for Oblivion made a few references to things as "fixed since Morrowind" or "improved from Morrowind"...

I hadn't thought about all the free mods though. I'd heard people could make them, but are those types of things of any quality?

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:02 pm

I don't even know what mods are available I haven't followed too close. I play a lot of RPGs but I like the doppy japanese kind.

As far as stuff being improved in oblivion there may be improvements but there are bugs too. In a past twitch asylum episode one of the guys said he returned the 360 version due to the bugs.

I was tempted to get oblivion after hearing about how open is it but I don't really like that style of the first person perspective.

Morrowind is only 20 buck new at target.
Wii Wii Wii

Matt

dantebk

Post by dantebk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:29 am

Another factor in XBox 360 vs. PC video card. Aren't all the XBox 360 games widescreen?

I finally got a widescreen TV a couple months ago, and only yesterday I played my first ever widescreen game (Perfect Dark for N64--man, RARE was developing ahead of its time) and it was VERY COOL.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:14 pm

Yeah, all of the 360 games must be widescreen and 720p. However, I think PGR3 faked the 720p a bit, but it still looks incredible.

--Chris.

dantebk

Post by dantebk » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:18 pm

Okay, well I made my decision.

I just ordered an ATI Radeon X800 XT video card off eBay for $95. Less than 25% of the cost of the XBox.

After weighing all the pros and cons, the amount of money I'm saving plus the number of mods that are out there for Oblivion made me choose the PC. My only hope is that when GTA IV comes out next year, the PC version will work with my new graphics card (and not require Windows Vista, gosh darnit!)

Eventually I'll probably buy some of the other games only available for XBox and PC, like Halo and Half Life. I've always heard really great things about those.

As for my dreams of online play, I'll have to wait for the Super Smash Bros Brawl on the Wii. Oh well.