Twitch Asylum Video Game Radio Episode #10

Forum containing news postings

Moderator: Admin group

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:56 pm

I don't think the pc is close to dead for gaming when you consider all the online flash games people play. I think it will decline for the more hard core gamer kind of stuff though.
Wii Wii Wii

Matt

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:01 pm

iamsjn wrote: Raz0red: You suck for having such a COOL Dragon's Lair coin-op!! I would kill for one of those. After searching around the net, I was finding DL cabinets for around 3 - 4 grand. Thats crazy.
Yeah, they were pretty expensive when I was looking for them as well. That is why I decided to restore one. It took an awful lot of time to find all the parts, then cosmetically restore all of it. In the end I am sure it was cheaper, and it was sort of a blast just doing it. I just need to finish up my Centipede so I can finish the Space Ace...

--Raz.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:18 pm

dantebk wrote: I've never played any of the laserdisc titles in the arcade, but I do have a SEGA CD. I've played both Dragon's Lair and Space Ace, and I must say I do not like them. Maybe I'm a wuss, or just impatient, but I don't want to sit there forever and guess what direction to push and when.
Yeah, I can totally understand that. It is probably more of a nostalgic thing for us old timers. If you had seen a Dragon's Lair, "back in the day" standing next to Pac-Man and Donkey Kong (which at the time had some of the greatest graphics ever) you might feel a bit different. It was just that shock of seeing something so beyond anything you expected. And, remember, at the time there wasn't an Internet that previewed everything that was coming out. It was more like, you just walked in to an arcade, and bam, there it was with a huge crowd gathered around. Back then it was about being able to get the high score, or complete the difficult game as people crowded around to watch. Dragon's Lair provided a huge challenge, and as you completed it, the crowds would gather. Really bigger than around any game at the time.
dantebk wrote: PC dying? No way! There are still too many great genres that play better on the PC than on any other console. Real-Time Strategy, FPS, and of course my all-time favorite the adventure game! Some of my favorite all time games like No One Lives Forever, Monkey Island, and Freedom Force, just would not be the same on a console. Recently I upgraded my PC to be able to play Elder Scrolls Oblivion, and to test it I downloaded the Call of Duty 2 demo (which I'd already tried on a 360 display at Circuit City) and after that I felt like I made the right choice. The gameplay just felt more natural on the PC with the mouse + keyboard.
I agree PC gaming won't die... ever. But, I do think there is the potential for a decline as consoles become more powerful. Although, after reading the top 10 anticipated PC games that are coming, I have to say the future of PC gaming looks very bright.

I am totally with you on the adventure games. I love playing them on the PC. Although, there really haven't been any good adventure games in a while. I am not sure if that is going to change anytime soon. The most recent "pseudo-adeventure" game that I have played recently was Indigo Prophecy on the Xbox. That game was great, although not a true classic adventure.

Don't get me wrong, I still play many adventure games on the PC. In fact, I am still playing the remake of King's Quest from time to time (and loving it).

As for COD2, I have it for both my PC and my 360. But, I did choose to play though it on the 360. For a couple reasons. First, larger television and better sound system. Second, achievement points (I know, I am lame...). I liked it on the PC as well, but didn't get all the way through it. I did get some framerate hickups, even on my SLI setup... sigh... Whenever that happens, I try to figure out why and tweak the settings. As I mentioned in the podcast I am an obsessive config-tweaker. So, seeing those kinds of things just sort of bums me out. When it happens on a console I am forced to live with it (which is probably a good thing).

--Raz.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:32 pm

In the last podcast, Tom said you couldn't create a video game using a VHS tape. I mentioned that I used to play the game "Pops Ghostly". Well, the system that I played it on was called "Action Max". It allowed you to shoot at the television that had a sensor. Well, I got to searching and found a link on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Max
http://www.vidgame.net/Action_Max/actionmax.htm

I had "Sonic Fury" and "The Rescue of Pops Ghostly".

Man, I need to find one of these. :D

--Raz.

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:53 pm

raz0red wrote: Man, I need to find one of these. :D
Just saw one go on eBay for dirt cheap. It had the box and even a few games I think for around $10 (~$20 incl. shipping). They don't pop up often, but there seems to be a low demand when they do. Not the most interactive of interactive entertainment :) A similar product that at least had some shelf value (in that you could pose the action figures on your shelf) was Captain Power [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Power] which used a combination of video/audio signals from the tv to interact with the toys. I think the new batman animated series uses a similar tech.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:28 am

I WANT NEW PODCAST NOW OR IM GONNA HAVE TO KILL SOMEONE!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:59 am

We recorded a new episode last night. Chris is working on it, and it should be available in the next few days.

Tom

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:13 am

Faster! I need my twitch fix!

:-)

Take your time, I can wait, really, I hope.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:19 pm

yea i can wait 8)
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:53 pm

wow for some strange reason i thought today was wenday thats why i put the post"if i dont get a podcast soon im gonna kill some one" wow my mistake i thought the podcast was late srry to put more pressure with my out of date post
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:44 pm

Just a quick update. I am in the middle of editing the podcast, and it will be posted tomorrow (Wednesday) night.

Unfortunately, Woody wasn't able to make this podcast, he got called into work at the last minute. :cry: He says he apologizes, and will definitely make the next one.

--Raz.

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:25 pm

Editing what happend to the new no editing format :) maybe you're too much of a perfectionist :)
Wii Wii Wii

Matt

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:02 pm

msaeger wrote:Editing what happend to the new no editing format :) maybe you're too much of a perfectionist :)
There might be some truth in that. But, the level of editing we do now is way less than what we did before. A lot of the editing was being done initially because we had serious sound issues, popping, etc. We now have filters and better mics, so I don't have to spend much time on that kind of stuff. I only listen to it once through and fix any major issues. But, even that takes a while since the shows have been going on 2+ hours... Then you have to run the noise, filter, then convert it to WAV, then convert it to MP3, then update the RSS.. blah blah blah... heh... :D

--Raz.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:44 pm

were the podcast u said night on wensday :cry:
OL' DIRTY BASTARD