Forum containing news postings

Moderator: Admin group

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:37 pm

Yea!

Finally :-)

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:56 pm

this is by far the worst "twitch drought" i have even seen and yes the delay is so long it has to be called "the twitch drought"
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:16 am

I just listend to the show and I liked the Lord British segment. It was like the Icons on G4 before G4 sucked. So Saints Row sounds pretty good I'll have to get it. Then we'll play some multiplayer.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:29 am

I'm sold on Test Drive Unlimited. I've never been that big on racing games but Tom really got me going on this game. Going to go out and pick it up at lunch time. I know Oahu like the back of my hand so it'll be cool to actually drive up and down Kalakaua Avenue and take in some sights.

Thanks for the recommendation Tom!

--SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:01 pm

Dude, Test Drive is such a badass game. I have been addicted to it since the day it came out. There are a few bugs though... The game is known to freeze, and it can freeze while it is saving causing a corrupt save file. This happened to me and I had to start over.

Also, they shut down the buy/sell used cars feature to fix some bugs.

If you liked PGR, NFS, Speed Devils Online... It takes all the best things from these games and puts it together.

Also, if you do that referral program, you can get a unique McLaren F1 for about 200k less than the standard one.

http://www.testdriveunlimited.com/referral-program/

You need to know someone else with the game. Only the first 10k people can do it.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:06 pm

wow sik episode srry i wount be able to play any of the sik games for 360 because i found out i might be getting a laptop more then a 360 so i wont be getting a 360 this year but im sure im getting a laptop which i can play all those mmorpg, battle field 2,and counter strike source wich will be sweet

but yea PAX might be the new e3 i know e3 just died but i think next year you might see tv coverage of PAX because they wont get any thing else to cover but yea next year they will be alot more stuff that ppl are showing off. any ways like always sik episode even with the bad delay of up to a month it was well worth the wait
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:08 pm

I'm still enjoying Test Drive Unlimited. I did have the corrupted save file problem once when I first started playing. I think this was because the game auto-saves very often, even at times that wouldn't seem logical, and during one of those times I turned the power off. So be careful about that if you get this game.

The other night I stayed up late and played enough to unlock the motorcycles. I was really excited about this because I like to ride motorcycles in real life. But it was disappointing, because the motorcyle physics model in the game is not very good. This is no Moto GP or Tourist Trophy. It is more like the motorcycles in GTA. Oh well, at least the car driving part of the game, which is the majority of the game, is really fun. It takes a very long time to drive all the way around the island. Once you do this, you really appreciate how large the game world is.

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:42 pm

The motorcycle physics are lame... You don't even fall off the bike when you hit something head on at 200+ mph half the time. This problem is nothing compared to the other problems of the game though.

The biggest problem is the corrupt game saves.

The second biggest is people quitting ranked races when they are losing. This is the only game that does not punish people in any way for disconnects. The winner gets nothing as well.

Third, people are cheating somehow... Getting 500+ mph on user created speed tests at the drive-in.

Fourth, still can't buy/sell used cars from people.

There are a bunch of other minor annoyances, but these 4 problems are the major ones right now. I don't remember signing up to beta test this game. At least it will be perfect for PC gamers come early 07.

All bitching aside... I have not been this addicted to a game in years. I love it. :twisted:

dantebk

Post by dantebk » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:07 am

Great ep as usual!

Even though I've never played an Ultima game (not into traditional RPGs), I still enjoyed the Retro Respect section. I just like hearing about gaming history in general, I guess. Have you guys ever thought about doing a Retro Respect about the Mario franchise? I'm sure there's a lot of weirdness in that story arc.

Also enjoyed hearing about that game convention Chris and Woody went to. I didn't even know they were making a Yoshi's Island 2. I might finally have to break down and buy a DS when that comes out since the original is one of my Top 10 of All Time.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:26 pm

LimitZer0 wrote:Dude, Test Drive is such a badass game. I have been addicted to it since the day it came out. There are a few bugs though... The game is known to freeze, and it can freeze while it is saving causing a corrupt save file. This happened to me and I had to start over.

Also, they shut down the buy/sell used cars feature to fix some bugs.

If you liked PGR, NFS, Speed Devils Online... It takes all the best things from these games and puts it together.

Also, if you do that referral program, you can get a unique McLaren F1 for about 200k less than the standard one.

http://www.testdriveunlimited.com/referral-program/

You need to know someone else with the game. Only the first 10k people can do it.

Okay everyone,
If someone else picked up Test Drive Unlimited and want's to see of we can qualify for the McLaren F1, let me know. I need a friend's referral code so we can enter into the program. Yea, the first 10 thousand have probably already come and gone, but it doesn't hurt to try!!

--SjN

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:02 pm

I doubt the first 10k have done it yet. Atari only told people about it on the forums.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:13 am

I was thinking about picking up Test Drive Unlimited, but all of the reports of bugs, features being removed from the online portion, etc. are a bit scary. I have also heard that the game is a bit unbalanced. Everyone uses the high end cars for racing, so there is little benefit to the variety of cars that are in the game.

Are these things true? Should I wait before buying it?

--Raz.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:44 am

raz0red wrote:I was thinking about picking up Test Drive Unlimited, but all of the reports of bugs, features being removed from the online portion, etc. are a bit scary. I have also heard that the game is a bit unbalanced. Everyone uses the high end cars for racing, so there is little benefit to the variety of cars that are in the game.

--Raz.
Well, from what I've played so far, I haven't really ran into any bug so significant that would cause me to even notice. I will say that I have not yet played any multiplayer as I'm still feeling my way around. A patch was released on September 11th that addressed the following issues:

- Problem of progression being lost
- Issues with CLUBS
- Connections issues
- Difficulty to find Friends
- Problem in Drive-in

You still can't trade online which isn't a big hassle and Atari insists they are currently working that issue. As far as everyone using high end cars, that may be the case in multiplayer. I currently own a Chevy SSR and a Vette. I'm winning tons of matches in singleplayer in order to increase my cash so I can buy those high end cars and eight car garage houses!

It's funny, I've been playing Saint's Row so much that I keep wanting to get out of my car and wander around Oahu. That would have been a nice feature as far as keeping it open ended!

Bottom line, the bugs that are being reported are in no way hampering this game. This game is HELLA FUN and for 39 bucks, I can wait for the patch!!!

--SjN

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:17 am

raz0red wrote:I was thinking about picking up Test Drive Unlimited, but all of the reports of bugs, features being removed from the online portion, etc. are a bit scary. I have also heard that the game is a bit unbalanced. Everyone uses the high end cars for racing, so there is little benefit to the variety of cars that are in the game.

--Raz.
I have not had the game freeze since they patched it.

The buy/sell used cars being down is a huge problem because it costs a lot more to buy cars and you lose a lot more when you sell cars. You may think nothing of it in the beginning but I am at a point where I need 3 500-750k cars with 300k of upgrades done to them. It would be great to get these for a cheaper price. This is priority for Atari though and should be fixed within a week or two.

The cheating at the drive-ins is lame but its not the end of the world.

As for the game being unbalanced, it is not entirely true. You have a lot of control over the race when you are hosting. You can make it any class you want or even a specific vehicle. These are always the most fun for me. Many people let anyone in with any vehicle, and only the guys who have the nice cars have a chance. I usually avoid those and look for more even races. My favorite classes to race are the G (classic cars), Ma/Mb (motorcycles), B (the most balanced class IMO). I also turn clipping off because I have lost many races due to crashing into some laggy guy or even worse, the laggy traffic being hosted by a laggy host... Most people leave it on though.

With all the problems the game has it is still my favorite racing game by far. It is hard to explain how badass it is to people because there are so many new things this game has done. This is probably why there are a lot of bugs.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:50 pm

i herd that test drive unlimited was realy cool but as usual 1 up was bashing it for its problems and its single player campagne that just gets harder and harder with no reasonable time trials even dantebk ops i mean luke was sayin its a dumb game

but i trust you guys better
OL' DIRTY BASTARD