NWCGE Vancouver

Forum to discuss general gaming topics
zodiacprime

NWCGE Vancouver

Post by zodiacprime » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:05 pm

I was in Vancouver, WA, yesterday to attend the Northwest Classic Gaming Enthusiasts NES Championship - too busy looking around to compete unfortunately - and managed to bag me some great old skool games. Some of this stuff I've never seen in the wild before:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86757288@N ... 477334485/

If you want to see what $260 will buy you at one of these events, check it out ;)

If anyone is interested I'll post more photos of the packed vendor area, including the stuff I couldn't afford. I always have a great time at these get-togethers, the people associated with NWCGE [http://www.nwcge.org/blog/index.html] are some of the coolest people in the retro-scene. I highly recommend you try to make it to one of these events next time.

EDIT: UPDATE: new link and more photos
Last edited by zodiacprime on Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:09 pm

Cool stuff. Looks like you found some interesting games. Yes, please post more photos!

Tom

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:08 pm

Man, I wish you would have posted about this earlier. I would have totally gone... sigh. I will definitely be attending the next one.

--Raz.

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:46 pm

raz0red wrote:Man, I wish you would have posted about this earlier. I would have totally gone... sigh. I will definitely be attending the next one.
Yeah, sorry Raz, I heard about it last minute myself... I talked with one of the organizors yesterday and he said that the next one will most likely be in Vancouver again but won't be until next September sometime... I'll post here if I hear any differently. Last year they had two shows, one during February in Seattle and then this one during September in Vancouver... I'm really jonesin' for a show right now so I'm really bummed there'll be no Feb show. altho this summer is going to prove challenging with PAX, California Extreme, CGE, and NWCGE swap all dropping within a couple months of each other (and all in different places this year). How 'bout we start to schedule some group road-trip plans to help cut some costs? Maybe a Twitch Asylum Gaming Expo Tour Vol. 1 :)

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:23 pm

Which picture is what you got for $260?

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:29 pm

Achilles wrote:Which picture is what you got for $260?
Good catch, it wasn't added to the set when I was house cleaning... here ya go: http://www.flickr.com/photos/86757288@N00/356521926/

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:33 pm

Holy wow! That's a good deal! Theres some good stuff in there, well except for Risk, and I dunno if I would consider Guitar Hero for the PS2 as "classic gaming" just yet.

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:51 pm

Achilles wrote:Holy wow! That's a good deal! Theres some good stuff in there, well except for Risk, and I dunno if I would consider Guitar Hero for the PS2 as "classic gaming" just yet.
Hehehe... yeah, not really (but boy is it fun)... I picked up the SG Controller at a GameStop on the way home. If you look at the pic you'll notice it's the Limited Ed. Cherry controller, which was like super rare before GH2 came out with it bundled in... o well, easy come, easy go.

... and hey! What's wrong with playing one of the greatest boardgames of all time on my Genny? ;)

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:59 pm

I didn't realize the Cherry one was rare, it's the one I've got, ha.

As for Risk, the board game is great, the console version, not so great. I still can't figure out how they ruined such a simple thing, maybe it's just the fact that hte boards not in front of me that makes it less fun.

What is that game that looks to be all in Japanese but with an American Flag background?

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:22 pm

Achilles wrote:I didn't realize the Cherry one was rare, it's the one I've got, ha.
Yes, as a separate controller it was only offered for a very limited time before they stopped and just went with the standard black version... but the sequel comes bundled with it, so I'm sure the eBay prices have dropped on it, but I remember at one time these babies were going for around $200.
Achilles wrote:As for Risk, the board game is great, the console version, not so great. I still can't figure out how they ruined such a simple thing, maybe it's just the fact that hte boards not in front of me that makes it less fun.
Ha.. yeah, one of the downsides of being a collector is that you don't always get to play every game that comes into your collection. I actually haven't played this one yet... and from your comments it has just been bumped down the list.
Achilles wrote:What is that game that looks to be all in Japanese but with an American Flag background?
If you click the link above and scroll down a bit, I give a description of some items of note, including that one... I also recommend you click the little magnifying glass to see the picture in higher rez as some of the stuff is kinda hard to see.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:26 pm

haha, oops. Was that all there before, the information? haha if so guess I missed it and wasn't paying attention, it answered my question exactly. Thanks