My 1st gaming photo - 1986!

Forum to discuss all things related to retro computers. Commodore 64, Apple ][, Atari ST, Amiga, etc.
Horprodukt

My 1st gaming photo - 1986!

Post by Horprodukt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:27 am

Being new to these forums i thought i'd post a pic ......... the pic's 20 years old now ...... me on my Commodore 64 in 1986.

(Loving the radio show by the way).

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:54 am

NICE!!!!!
That's a great slice of 80's goodness, the C64, the Max Headroom and the ever-present All-In-One stereo deck! I see you even got yourself hooked up with the Epyx 500XJ Joysticks! Of all the years that I gamed on my 64, I've just GOT to have some old pics of my rig. Going to have to go digging through my old junk.

Excellent shot Horprodukt!!

--SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:17 pm

i have never seen a picture of this "primitive humans" i herd they lived back from 10-20 years ago.... wow that must be like a picture from the stone ages
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:22 pm

The Brass wrote:i have never seen a picture of this "primitive humans" i herd they lived back from 10-20 years ago.... wow that must be like a picture from the stone ages

ahhhhhh my young padawan...
You will never know the joy of Fast-Hack-Em, Disk notchers & 5 1/4" floppies. That's okay though. It's good that someone as young as yourself shows an interest in the days of serious computing!

May the force be with you...
--SjN

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:30 pm

Damn, I wish I had more pics of me playing my old consoles/computers...

The only one I have is one my sis took of me beating Gradius 3 on the SNES without cheats on the default settings. I was 11 or 12.

If only I had a pic for each time I beat a game.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:38 pm

sjn how dare you call me a padawan.

your like that cave man on the geico commercials.

yes you are THAT OLD
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:18 am

The Brass wrote:i have never seen a picture of this "primitive humans" i herd they lived back from 10-20 years ago.... wow that must be like a picture from the stone ages
Yep, some of us are getting a bit grey!

I can happily play away at Robotron 2084, Defender and Discs of Tron .......or have a blast on Halo, Forza Motorsport and shadow of colossus.

It's not about great graphics but playability, so i play games from the whole history of gaming.

A new release on the Vectrex (there's still a homebrew scene for that) gets me going as much as the potential of the new gen of consoles.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:48 am

Fast Hack'em?

Heh, it is funny you should mention that, because I know Mike J. Henry. He was originally known as the "Bandit Boy" back and the day, and went on to write "Fast Hack'em". I used to belong to this small computer club that would meet in this dudes basement (I think there were 9 of us), and he was a member. He went on to marry one of my friend's sisters. Crazy how popular that program was.

As far as that pic goes, that is awesome. I probably looked similar back then, but never took any pics. My parents basement was full of Commodores. I had 2 64's, one running a BBS on a dedicated phone line and a 128. Man, I miss those days, pizza parties, the european gaming magazines with all the cool pics of upcoming games, BBSs...

--Raz.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:34 am

raz0red wrote:Fast Hack'em?

Heh, it is funny you should mention that, because I know Mike J. Henry. He was originally known as the "Bandit Boy" back and the day, and went on to write "Fast Hack'em". I used to belong to this small computer club that would meet in this dudes basement (I think there were 9 of us), and he was a member. He went on to marry one of my friend's sisters. Crazy how popular that program was.

As far as that pic goes, that is awesome. I probably looked similar back then, but never took any pics. My parents basement was full of Commodores. I had 2 64's, one running a BBS on a dedicated phone line and a 128. Man, I miss those days, pizza parties, the european gaming magazines with all the cool pics of upcoming games, BBSs...

--Raz.

WOW. I thought I was the only one that remembered Fast Hack'em! Would DEFINITELY love to hear Mike's story on a future show! I have fond memories of sitting in my bedroom with tons of blank disks, a notcher and Fast hack'em. Had quite the racket going on for a while! Then publishers started getting wise to the practice. I can't remember which game it was, I think it was a golf game for the C64. The game came with this device that you had to plug into the back of your 64 in order to play it. So much for Fast Hack'em.

Though I never ran my own BBS, me and my trusty 300 (and later 1200) baud modem frequented many! I think I still have my tractor feed spreadsheet of all my favorite BBS phone numbers. I definitely miss those days. Graph paper adorning all of my bedroom walls detailing my latest dungeon conquests. Keeping my grilled cheese sandwiches on top of my 1541 disk drive. They stayed nice and warm there.

--SjN

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:52 am

Found this on Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fast ... 7em_Ad.jpg

The "Basement Boys" was named after the group that I was in that met in that guy's basement to "discuss" Commodore games, etc.

In a future episode I will definitely go into some detail on it, etc.

--Raz.

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:00 am

Ha!

Just listening to Ep 14 of the show and heard you mention the fact that i posted the picture of me playing on my C64 20 years ago. Thanks for that.

Anyway, the joystick in question was released in the UK as a Konix Speedking ..... i believe Epyx re-released it as Epyx 500XJ in the USA, but it was designed by Konix.

Here's a picture of the UK (Konix) and US (Epyx) versions, so you can see the branding.

Good show BTW, as always.

Horprodukt.

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:20 am

I found another early pic.... a little later than my first post of 1986, this was about 1988. If you look you can see an Acorn Electron, the BBC Micro's "younger brother". It was on this little guy i spent hours playing the classic space trading 'n' shooting game Elite.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:18 pm

Man that is an awesome pic!

I recently picked up another C64 w/ 2 1541 drives, about 200 disks, and a box of stuff for $20. In that box were two new Epyx 500xj Joysticks. Man, those joysticks are great. There was also a FastLoad cartridge, "The Final Cartridge", and some other cool items.

I have been on a major retro-computing kick lately. I am not sure why, but it has been a blast going through the old games.... I am amazed at the quality of games that were produced using a single button!

--Raz.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:30 pm

wow man u realy rockin the grease in that pic
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:31 am

raz0red wrote:Man that is an awesome pic!

I recently picked up another C64 w/ 2 1541 drives, about 200 disks, and a box of stuff for $20. In that box were two new Epyx 500xj Joysticks. Man, those joysticks are great. There was also a FastLoad cartridge, "The Final Cartridge", and some other cool items.

I have been on a major retro-computing kick lately. I am not sure why, but it has been a blast going through the old games.... I am amazed at the quality of games that were produced using a single button!

--Raz.
I always kick myself for selling my C64 and gear that went with it in the ealy 90's, including my Epyx Joystck. I ended up buying another C64 a couple of years back, but it's was the later model (the one that looks more like an Amiga 500). I'm on the lookout for an original design C64 with extras inc the Epyx stick now.

You got one with 2 new Epyx Joysticks? When you say new, do you mean in good condition, or actaully new/unused? Did you get it for a good price?