Stream other video formats to 360

Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
raz0red
Site Admin

Stream other video formats to 360

Post by raz0red » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:28 am

So a product named TVersity was patched recently to allow you to stream formats to the 360 other than WMV. While the install is far from plug-and-play it does actually work. I have been able to stream DivX and Xvid to my 360. To do this, it transcodes the video on the fly. Thus, it requires a fairly quick P.C. If you look about half way down in the following link, you will find step-by-step instructions.

Install instructions

Here are some additional things that I found.

1.) You must have Windows Media Player 11 installed. I installed this after I had followed the instructions in the link above and it worked.

2.) When you configure the settings in the program, make sure you hit the "Save" button at the bottom. You will need to scroll down to find it. The settings I had were:

a.) On the general tab, Media Playback Device = Xbox 360

b.) On the transcoder tab, Compression = Minimum, Video resolution = 800x600. These settings should only be changed if your PC can handle it. They require more processing power to transcode to this size and compression level. If your computer can't do 800x600, try 640x480. If that doesn't work, you might be stuck with 400x300 (the default), which looks pretty pixelated.

3.) On the "Sharing" tab, delete the default "Video Feed". This introduces way too many videos (1000+) and makes finding your videos impossible.

4.) Turn off sharing on WMC and Windows Media Player 11. TVersity replaces their functionality. It is important to note that it will stream WMV w/o transcoding so it is provides a superset of functionality found in those.

5.) When attempting to play a video there is a long pause prior to displaying the video (it is buffering the video). This should only take at most 30 seconds,

If anyone decides to give it a go, let me know if you have any questions, and if it worked for you. It is nice to be able to stream more than WMV, even if there was a little pain in the installation. Hopefully Microsoft will ultimately provide this for us natively, but this allows it for the time being.

--Raz.
Last edited by raz0red on Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:37 am

I am really looking forward to getting a 360 this christmas season and using it for that purpose from time to time. I stream to my TV often, but through my s-video output, so I lose one of my monitors while that happens, kind of annoying. If I can use my 360 to do all this I will be very happy.