Dungeons and Dragons

Use this forum to post anything that is not video game related.
Achilles

Dungeons and Dragons

Post by Achilles » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:34 pm

I know some of the audience is young, but I assume most are a little older.

Anyway, with that said, does anyone else still play D&D, I continue to play on a weekly basis even while in college and I still love the game. I know some of you old school gamers must have played "back in the day" if so do you still play and do you have any good stories or experiences you want to share?

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:21 am

Sadly, I haven't played D&D in years. Hahahaha... I remember being labeled a satan worshiper because I was a known D&D gamer "back in the day". With Games like the Baldur's Gate series and other RPGs however, D&D faded away and now I tend to lean in the computer gaming direction.

As far as memories go, I have tons. We had a 5 foot by 5 foot table in my dad's garage that had an entire gridwork laid out on its surface that the DM would mark up with wax pencils. My gaming buddies would use that for our campaigns. Hours would be spent out in that garage, letting our imaginations go wild. We also used the lead figurines that we'd paint to resemble our characters. Our DM had all of the monster figurines that he'd present on the table when we'd run across them. Good times. Really good times.

My worst monster memory would have to be the first time I stumbled upon a beholder down in the depths of a dungeon on a campaign. Let's just say, it wasn't pretty. I was a pretty tough warrior but that beholder made me finally run away screaming like a little girl.

As a matter of fact, I still have all of my monster manuals and books and I'd bet money all of my old characters are stuck in between the pages of those old tomes.

Actually, I'd love to break out the old gear and run through another dungeon crawl!!

--SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:24 am

Not bad! Some good stories, got ya thinking too didn't they?! haha now you want a taste of it again.

Wish we had a table like that, unfortunately here at school it's hard for us to find a consistent spot to play that will hold the 6 of us, unusually we end up in the lounge of one of the dorm buildings, on a long table, it's not bad, we have plenty of room it's just the location. We end up being interrupted often by people wanting to know what we are doing, or by people just wanting to bother us, making things drag on very slowly. We have searched for a new place to play, and are now considering taking over a class room or meeting room to play, a bonus would be that those rooms all have projectors in them, so the DM would have some pretty cool computer tools at his disposal.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:09 am

yea some of the audience i wonder who that was for....

but i did actualy play d&d when i was in daycare in 4th grade and its pretty fun maybe not a full laid out map but we did little stuff and i remeber it to be fun.

And i am in 9th grade now
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:24 pm

I haven't played D&D for years, but all this talk has me wanting to play it again... sigh. Now if I could just find some people to play it with.

I wonder where my manuals are at? I am guessing sold or given away... argh.

--Raz.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:29 pm

raz0red wrote:I haven't played D&D for years, but all this talk has me wanting to play it again... sigh. Now if I could just find some people to play it with.
:-) Kind of my intention, to get everyone talking and thinking about it again! Yay it worked. If yall are looking too play a little bit there are tons of tabletop programs out there that allow for simulation of a game table with pieces and such that would allow people to play over the net. If yall had time we could try to get something together a few times and using Skype get a short campaign going. :-)

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:34 pm

Some of us "old-schoolers" would have to revisit the D&D 3rd edition rule set since I'm sure they are vastly different than what I was accustomed to. It's definitely worth checking into though. Just don't tell my wife. She's already pulling her hair out over my hours logged at World of Warcraft.

If she thinks that is bad, wait until you add D&D to the mix. She ain't seen nuthin yet! I've been known to stay awake entire weekends during campaigns. (nah... my wife is actually a really good sport when it comes to my (ahem) hobbies).

--SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:20 pm

My mom bought me some D&D starter kit as a kid, then she took it away almost instantly because someone said D&D is for devil worshippers... So I never got to play.

On an unrelated sidenote, my girlfriends dad taught me how to play Magic during Thanksgiving and thought it was pretty cool. I downloaded the Magic Online client to play some of the free games to learn more. I'm still thinking about whether or not I want to pay for cards.