Clubhouse Games DS

Forum to discuss the Nintendo family of consoles
PristineSteam

Clubhouse Games DS

Post by PristineSteam » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:01 pm

I got Clubhouse Games for the DS the other day. It is a good value, with 40 games and only a few of them are really lame, like the "shake the bottle" game. But there are some good ones, like darts, bowling, dominoes, backgammon, hearts, bridge, etc. For casual gaming this is perfect.

The betting card games like Blackjack are weird because you are limited to seeing how well you can do in 5 rounds. That totally changes the strategy and makes it abnormal, because with only 5 rounds you may as well go all out all the time and hope to get lucky. Why bet anything but the max when there are only 5 rounds?

In the last podcast we talked about how Nintendo started out making hanafuda cards. Well Clubhouse Games DS actually includes a hanafuda game called Koi Koi. It is fun, the only drawback is that you can't see much detail on the cards because they are so small.

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:30 pm

I have it and bought it for my bro in law for Christmas. It is great for a quick game of anything. This is the first handheld (Palm OS aside) game I know of to have dominos.

Have you played anyting online yet? I'll give it a try one of these days.

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:57 pm

Okay, this is the best multiplayer game for the DS.

I was at my girlfriends house for a week and we played this game for hours everyday. We had 4 people playing total. You can unlock my favorite game "Field Tacitcs" (stratego) by playing stamp mode.

1 card can host 7 other DS's with the full versions of every game.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:43 pm

Yeah, when you get this game, immediately go into Stamp Mode and start unlocking things! Stratego (field tactics) is cool. It also plays a good game of chess. I haven't played multiplayer yet but I can imagine that it would be fun. This is indeed probably the best value on the DS.

dantebk

Post by dantebk » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:29 pm

I was actually so excited about this game that I bought it the day it came out. It's great for playing with a girlfriend/spouse. My GF and I would take turns in Stamp Mode or Mission Mode all the time, and always took it with us when we were going to Chili's or Applebee's or whatever and expected to wait 1/2 hour for a table.

I have also played it WiFi and it is a lot of fun, but it's hard to find people to play if you want to do one of the less popular games. Not so hard to find Texas Hold 'em or Blackjack.

You can only pictochat with people on your friends list, but actually pictochatting I think is a real pain in the ass so I actually prefer playing with people who aren't on my friends list so I can choose from a list of pre-programmed chat responses.