Most Annoying video game enemies of all time

Forum to discuss general gaming topics
The Brass

Most Annoying video game enemies of all time

Post by The Brass » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:41 pm

this week on 1up the gang was talking about the most annoying enemies of all time were in video games and i wanted to know what the most annoying video game enemy for you guys were. It dosn't really have to be a hard enemy.

Well my modern enemy definitaly has to be those ranged flood enemies from halo 3 they shoot spikes at u and they climb on celings n stuff. They aren't that hard on normal but on legendary they are a huge pain in the arse' if you have beat halo 3 you know what enemy im talking about.

Since this podcast is 70% retro i think il do a enemy from a old game(the ones that i can remember). It would probably be the final boss for super smash bros for n64. Dont ask my why but i really used to think he was impossible to beat(i was a kid of course) and i never could beat him but now i can beat him in 2 seconds lol.
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:16 pm

Hmmm, that is a good question.

The one game that immediately comes to mind is Call of Duty 2 on veteran difficulty. I know that isn't a "boss" character, but it was seriously a pain to finish. I am not sure why I put myself through it, maybe I am a bit masochistic. But, to me the whole game was annoying. I guess I didn't learn my lesson either, since I just started in on Call of Duty 4 on Veteran... argh.

Another very annoying boss battle was freakin' Corallis in Kameo. Deep Blue (the character you are controlling) has completely broken controls making the boss battle extremely annoying. I almost quit the game altogether at that point. I am glad I didn't, I actually liked Kameo (all but that battle), I think it was decent for a launch title (But, not nearly as good as Condemned...).

For something retro, I would have to go with the Gabriel Knight 3, “cat hair moustache” puzzle. Those of you who lived through it will know what I mean...

--Raz.

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:32 am

raz0red wrote:
The one game that immediately comes to mind is Call of Duty 2 on veteran difficulty. I know that isn't a "boss" character, but it was seriously a pain to finish. I am not sure why I put myself through it, maybe I am a bit masochistic. But, to me the whole game was annoying. I guess I didn't learn my lesson either, since I just started in on Call of Duty 4 on Veteran... argh.
I've gone back to Call of Duty 4 and i'm playing it again on Veteran. As i've completed it on Normal already now i can pick levels at random. Good thing too as some levels are damn tough. The problem being that enemies re spawn continuously until you trigger a new checkpoint and a scripted event. So, you can't pick off enemies one by one and continue that way as the amount of enemies will never decrease, you have to gain ground.

I can't finish a couple of levels, "War Pig" and "One Shot, One Kill". The end parts of these levels is near impossible. Poke your head out and you die. I'll be interested to see if you manage Raz!

teal

Post by teal » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:54 am

I've only played call of duty 2 & 4 on veteran difficulty. While I loved both games, I can definitely see how playing it at least one notch lower difficulty would have made it more enjoyable... Much more so in Call of duty 4. Raz, let me know what you think of the "escape the farm" level in CoD4. That one pissed me off for ever till I just tried making a mad dash to the end.

I'm with Brass on those annoying "wall" hugging flood guys. I thought they a bit on the ridiculous side.

Ah, and Kameo..? I enjoyed it too. I really liked the ending. The water boss battle was definitely annoying, but I don't think it was quite as "broken" as it gets credit for. Definitely a solid launch title, much more so than PDZ.

Ok, so my own annoying enemy? The speedy, little red crescent guys with shields in Geometry Wars.

-t.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People

teal

Post by teal » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:59 am

Does Mass Effect's inventory system count?

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:59 am

teal wrote: Ok, so my own annoying enemy? The speedy, little red crescent guys with shields in Geometry Wars.

-t.
lol those guys were annoying too lol you always have to keep moving cause when there is tons of enemies it was hard to tell if one of those was lying in a pack, you usualy found out cause they would always come flying at you

ive never really beat a cod game on veteran cause single player never really gives me a challenge like online does but if what u guys say is true i might try it out
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:16 am

teal wrote:I've only played call of duty 2 & 4 on veteran difficulty. While I loved both games, I can definitely see how playing it at least one notch lower difficulty would have made it more enjoyable... Much more so in Call of duty 4.

I see you've completed COD4 on veteran.... any tips for the end of "War Pig" on veteran?..... I'm up to the bit where the tank turns right and stops near the bus. I know i need to get in to the buildings but can't make a dash without getting shot.

MoistVomit

Post by MoistVomit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:33 pm

ok, if we are talking not hard but annoying, then for me it would be Sephiroth in the final battle from FF7... I think the battle lasted close to 30 minutes (or maybe it just felt that long :roll: )

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:23 am

teal wrote:I've only played call of duty 2 & 4 on veteran difficulty. While I loved both games, I can definitely see how playing it at least one notch lower difficulty would have made it more enjoyable... Much more so in Call of duty 4. Raz, let me know what you think of the "escape the farm" level in CoD4. That one pissed me off for ever till I just tried making a mad dash to the end.
I just looked at my achievements on COD2 and it took me nearly 2 years to complete the game. :D

Granted, I would take several months off at a time. My goal is to get COD4 complete within a single year this time (a lofty goal, I know). I will let you guys know how it goes...

--Raz.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:01 pm

Most annoying enemies: Mind Flayers in NetHack. And in Oblivion, those plants that jump up in the air and shoot fireballs at you when you get close to them. The guy with the chainsaw in Resident Evil 4.

Krisz

Post by Krisz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:09 am

This thread reminded my of a hilarious game, nicknamed "Cat Mario" by us english speaking people.

Probably not the hardest game I've played, but definitely the most RAGE INDUCING. Its sort of like mario meets the most frustrating scenario in the world. I think the first time I finished it was on Negative 183 lives.

Enjoy: http://www.geocities.jp/z_gundam_tanosi ... /Main.html

Feel free to ask me if you need tips ;)

teal

Post by teal » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:22 am

Horp:

Unfortunately, I really can't recall any details from the warpig mission. I'll about playing that mission again sometime...
-t.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:08 pm

Horprodukt wrote: I see you've completed COD4 on veteran.... any tips for the end of "War Pig" on veteran?..... I'm up to the bit where the tank turns right and stops near the bus. I know i need to get in to the buildings but can't make a dash without getting shot.
I just finished War Pig on Veteran, so maybe I can help. What I did was go into the building on the left. Then, I crawled onto the patio (or balcony) area behind the railing and just shot the people in the bus through the railing. Once I had killed them all, I ran to the buildings ahead.

--Raz.

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:59 am

raz0red wrote:
Horprodukt wrote: I just finished War Pig on Veteran, so maybe I can help. What I did was go into the building on the left. Then, I crawled onto the patio (or balcony) area behind the railing and just shot the people in the bus through the railing. Once I had killed them all, I ran to the buildings ahead.

--Raz.
Nice one. Did it take long? I've been trying for ages, but can't even get in to the building left or right without biting the dust. The closet i got was by throwing in loads of stun grenades, so i guess that's the way?

So when you shoot the guys in the bus, do they re spawn or can you clear them and move on safely?

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:41 am

Horprodukt wrote: Nice one. Did it take long? I've been trying for ages, but can't even get in to the building left or right without biting the dust. The closet i got was by throwing in loads of stun grenades, so i guess that's the way?

So when you shoot the guys in the bus, do they re spawn or can you clear them and move on safely?
I think it took me about 45 minutes or so. I think what I did is I was hidden behind a wall on the left side. Then I threw a flash bang through the cracked wall and then climbed the wall and proceeded to run into the back entrance of the building on the far left (there is a little alley there).

At that point I crawled through that building until I got on the ledge behind the railing.

The guys in the bus do not respawn. Just take them out and you should be set to run to the buildings ahead.

--Raz.