Twitch Asylum
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Wii2600
Post Wii2600 
A port of the Stella (VCS/2600) emulator for the Wii.

Current production release (v0.2):

http://www.twitchasylum.com/wii2600/wii2600-0_2.zip (Binaries)
http://www.twitchasylum.com/wii2600/wii2600-0_2-src.zip (Source)

Wiki (Wiibrew):

http://www.wiibrew.org/Wii2600

Code:

--------------------------------------------
What is Wii2600?

Wii2600 is a port of the Stella 2.7.2 emulator to the Wii.

Stella is a multi-platform Atari 2600 VCS emulator released under the GNU
General Public License (GPL). Stella was originally developed for Linux by
Bradford W. Mott, however, since its original release several people have
joined the development team to port Stella to other operating systems such
as AcornOS, AmigaOS, DOS, FreeBSD, IRIX, Linux, OS/2, MacOS, Unix, and
Windows. [http://stella.sourceforge.net].

Change log

05/03/09 (0.2)
-------------------
    - 4-player paddle support
    - Ability to set the paddle mode to use (Roll, IR, or Analog joystick)   
    - Wiimote "Roll" paddle mode (similar to Bit Trip Beat)
    - Ability to set "Roll" paddle mode sensitivity and center
    - Wiimote "IR" paddle mode (rewritten since 0.1)
    - Ability to set "IR" paddle mode sensitivity
    - Analog joystick horiz/vert paddle mode (Classic, Nunchuk, Gamecube)
    - Ability to set analog paddle mode sensitivity
    - Analog joystick control support (in game and during menu navigation)
    - Driving control support (via d-pads and analog controls)     
    - Ability to toggle color/BW modes from controller (Starmaster, etc.)
    - Improved sound support
    - Fixed bug that caused some games to always display at 1x (versus 2x)
    - Fixed emulation of select/reset buttons (you can now hold them down)
    - Added ability to display rom info (screenshots) when browsing (slow)

02/19/09 (0.1)
--------------
    - Initial release
    - Wiimote/Classic/GameCube controller support
    - Mouse via Wiimote for paddle games (proof of concept)
    - USB Keyboard
    - Audio/Video etc.   
    - Save/load state
    - Screenshot support

--Raz.

Last edited by raz0red on Mon May 04, 2009 10:12 am; edited 16 times in total
As with your other WiiBrew ports, this early release really impresses. I couldn't find any fault as I waded through a few dozen of my favorite games. I'll tell you man, I was so accustomed to playing these through my vintage setup (mono) that I was pretty blown away by some of the music/sfx on some of my what-I-thought-to-be-familiar games as the subwoofer really added some punch (e.g., Revenge of the Apes, Cosmic Ark)!

Q: Will this currently work with Vendel's new Classic USB Joystick? I'm expecting mine to arrive any day now and would love to plug in an play... also has anyone tried the stelladaptor? Thanks.
-zp

EDIT: originally said "Planet of the Apes"... that one doesn't doesn't have music Wink

Last edited by zodiacprime on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
As with your other WiiBrew ports, this early release really impresses. I couldn't find any fault as I waded through a few dozen of my favorite games. I'll tell you man, I was so accustomed to playing these through my vintage setup (mono) that I was pretty blown away by some of the music/sfx on some of my what-I-thought-to-be-familiar games as the subwoofer really added some punch (e.g., Planet of the Apes, Cosmic Ark)!

Q: Will this currently work with Vendel's new Classic USB Joystick? I'm expecting mine to arrive any day now and would love to plug in an play... also has anyone tried the stelladaptor? Thanks.
-zp

I haven't tested with any other joysticks than the Wiimote/Classic controller/Gamecube. I will definitely check out the new Joystick and see what I can do, that would be very cool. I don't think anyone has tried the stella adapter.

Also, if you want to test my latest pre-build let me know. I would like to release in the next couple of days, but would like some other eyes on it before I send it out there. It now has vertical sync which makes games like Barnstorming and River Raid a lot smoother. I also have added the ability to Adjust Gamma, it now uses the correct palette and there are some audio improvements.

Let me know and I will post a URL.

Thanks.

--Raz.

Also, if you want to test my latest pre-build let me know.

Sure. I'll kick the tires and take it for a spin.

raz0red wrote:
Also, if you want to test my latest pre-build let me know.

Sure. I'll kick the tires and take it for a spin.

Cool. Thanks a lot. I will post a link to a new build here in the morning.

--Raz.

When you run it, if you would, please go into the "Advanced" menu. In that menu let me know what the default value for "Vertical Sync" is (should be enabled). Also, what is the Test FPS?

Thanks Raz, looks good. the info:

Vsync is "Enabled"
Test FPS = 16.525000 (NTSC)

- I tried to simply take a pic of the screen, but my camera crapped out on me. - I'll give it more of a workout after work today. Good luck!

Thanks Raz, looks good. the info:

Vsync is "Enabled"
Test FPS = 16.525000 (NTSC)

- I tried to simply take a pic of the screen, but my camera crapped out on me. - I'll give it more of a workout after work today. Good luck!

Cool, that is as expected. Thanks a lot for helping test it out.

--Raz.

There are some 2600 games(Starmaster for example) that use the B/W-Color switch to access certain screens in the game. Is there any way to implement this into the emulator?? Thanks

There are some 2600 games(Starmaster for example) that use the B/W-Color switch to access certain screens in the game. Is there any way to implement this into the emulator?? Thanks

There are a couple ways to achieve this.

If you go into the options panel, you can select between black and white and color modes which will toggle the star map. To get to the options panel you can use the following:

1 Button : WiiMote
Y Button : Classic and GameCube controller

In addition, if you hook up a USB keyboard you can swap between color and BW modes using the F3 and F4 keys.

--Raz.

Ebf18 wrote:

If you go into the options panel, you can select between black and white and color modes which will toggle the star map. To get to the options panel you can use the following:

In addition, if you hook up a USB keyboard you can swap between color and BW modes using the F3 and F4 keys.

--Raz.

I will definitely add mapping those buttons to the Classic/GameCube controller in a subsequent release.

--Raz.

raz0red wrote:
Ebf18 wrote:

--Raz.

I will definitely add mapping those buttons to the Classic/GameCube controller in a subsequent release.

--Raz.

Is it possible to map the function to one button, like the B button on the Wiimote, and have it work like a toggle function so that it switches back and forth using one button?? Thanks

Is it possible to map the function to one button, like the B button on the Wiimote, and have it work like a toggle function so that it switches back and forth using one button?? Thanks

Yeah, I could definitely do something like that. Right now A/B on the Wiimote are mapped to the fire button when in Paddle mode. I can use one of them when in Joystick mode to allow for a BW/Color toggle. I will build something tomorrow and post it here if you want to test it out.

--Raz.

Ebf18 wrote:

Yeah, I could definitely do something like that. Right now A/B on the Wiimote are mapped to the fire button when in Paddle mode. I can use one of them when in Joystick mode to allow for a BW/Color toggle. I will build something tomorrow and post it here if you want to test it out.

--Raz.

Thanks Raz, will be happy to test it out.

Sent you a PM w/ instructions and the download location.

If anyone else is interested in having that functionality prior to v0.2 just let me know and I will send you instructions as well.

Thanks.

--Raz.

Ebf18 wrote:

Sent you a PM w/ instructions and the download location.

If anyone else is interested in having that functionality prior to v0.2 just let me know and I will send you instructions as well.

Thanks.

--Raz.

I just tried it and it works great, but I did notice some sound skipping with you load up Starmaster. I like that I don't see any slow downs when running Asteroid or Frogger which can be noticed in Stellawii.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next