DDR

Forum for retro arcade discussions
R3V3N4N7

DDR

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:37 am

Kids have not been going to arcades for some time now. With consoles there really isn't a need to go. Dance Dance Revolution seems to be getting kids back into arcades. DDR is just the type of game that needs to be in arcades. I'm not saying that every game needs to have you dance but to give you something you can't get at home. Game companies need to make games with cool new ways to play.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:51 am

I totally agree. Even way back when it was about being able to produce games in the arcade that couldn't be replicated at home. In the 80's it was just the sheer graphical and processing power of the arcade games that differentiated them from the home consoles. Today, there really isn't much difference (in fact, I think most arcade games are even less powerful than any next gen consoles).

That is why we see a lot of "interactive" games w/ custom control schemes, etc. All of the shooting games w/ real looking guns, the dance machines, drum machines, driving games, etc.

One thing that has always struck me a bit odd is the fact that modern consoles have gone away from unique control schemes. It has pretty much been just a single controller to fit all games. That is why it is sort of refreshing to see the Wii introduce a new style of play. However, if you go back to the classic consoles, there was a ton of variety in the control schemes. Just look at the Atari 2600, you had joysticks, you had a track ball, and you had paddles! All of those different controls provided a unique experience. Why haven't any modern consoles provided such flexibility?

--Raz.

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:20 pm

All of those different controls provided a unique experience. Why haven't any modern consoles provided such flexibility?
I think it's because they don't want to take risks. Maybe that will change due to the popularity of guitar hero.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:13 pm

Your right they don't want to take the risk. Game companies don't want to develop a new type of input and have it fail. So hopefuly Nintendo with there Wii can trully bring a revolution.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:25 pm

The other issue is that if you add a new type of controller to a console after it has been released, you are not guaranteed how many consumers will actually buy it. Therefore, game makers will be reluctant to make games for it. It seems today, the only way it will work is if those controllers are included with the console itself (like the Wii is doing).

--Raz.

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:34 pm

raz0red wrote:The other issue is that if you add a new type of controller to a console after it has been released, you are not guaranteed how many consumers will actually buy it. Therefore, game makers will be reluctant to make games for it. It seems today, the only way it will work is if those controllers are included with the console itself (like the Wii is doing).

--Raz.
That's what I meant about them not wanting to take risks. That is why Nintendo is doing the right thing in selling a new unit with the new controller instead of making a GCN add on like the 1up morons keep saying they should do. If they just released the new controller for the GCN no one would use it.