Super Mario Bros. 2 was Doki Doki Panic?

Forum for discussions of retro consoles. Neo Geo, 2600, Odyssey, PSX, and sadly the Dreamcast.
raz0red
Site Admin

Super Mario Bros. 2 was Doki Doki Panic?

Post by raz0red » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:16 am

In a recent article on About.com, Aaron Stanton goes through the differences between the Japanese release of Doki Doki Panic and the U.S. release of Super Mario Bros. 2. Until I read this article I had no idea that Nintendo released a non-mario game in Japan, and then due to their perception that it wouldn't work in the U.S., put in the Mario-based characters. It is a pretty interesting read...

http://nintendo.about.com/library/mario ... ences1.htm
When Mario 2 for the NES was released in the U.S., it looked and played differently than anyone had expected. It turned out that Mario 2 was not really a Mario title at all, but a game released in Japan as Doki Doki Panic. Nintendo had decided the actual Mario 2 was too difficult for an overseas release and pulled the title and modified Doki Doki instead. In order to make Doki Doki Panic Mario-like, they made some small changes, upgraded the character graphics, and sent "Mario 2" onto the market.
--Raz.

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:58 pm

I have always wanted to find Doki Doki Panic so I can compare it to the USA version of mario 2. The USA mario 2 has always been my favorite mario game.

Super mario all stars for the snes has mario lost levels on it which is the same as the original Japanese mario 2. They weren't kidding that it's hard. Go try it if you thought new super mario for the ds was too easy.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:37 pm

msaeger wrote:Super mario all stars for the snes has mario lost levels on it which is the same as the original Japanese mario 2. They weren't kidding that it's hard. Go try it if you thought new super mario for the ds was too easy.
I have to give that a shot, I still have my SNES hooked up. Thanks for the info!

--Raz.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:14 pm

I think when G4 did an Icons on Mario they mentioned Doki Doki Panic. Thats where the Shy Guys came from.