Fox slams Mass Effect

Forum to discuss general gaming topics
raz0red
Site Admin

Fox slams Mass Effect

Post by raz0red » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:34 am

This is probably one of the most depressing game-related media coverage in a while. It comes to us from Fox News, so I guess that shouldn't be too big of a surprise. Here is the video:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/user ... 63925.html

Here is EA's (the parent company of Bioware) take on it:

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/ ... .36600.htm

For the 10 seconds he is given Geoff Keighley does his best to try to ensure that the report is accurate, but it seems to be for not. To me Mass Effect is not a kids game, I am not sure many kids would even enjoy it due to the fact that it is a fairly lengthy RPG. I also like the fact that they point out that only kids play video games. It seems like they are still stuck in the early 80's in terms of their views of video games...

Also, the "sex scene" is on par with what you can see on nightly television shows (Desperate Housewives, etc. etc.). Sad...

--Raz.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:11 am

This "news" item is absolutely ridiculous and full of misinformation, including (as usual) commentary on the game by people who admit they have never even played it.

From the news story: "leaving nothing to the imagination" "full digital nudity" "graphic sex"

This is completely wrong. It leaves a lot to the imagination, in fact even though the scene suggests sex, one could also make the argument that the characters are just cuddling, because nowhere is the graphic sex act actually shown, as it would be in real X-rated material.

From the story: "the person who is playing the game gets to decide exactly what's going to happen between the two people"

Not true. Depending on how you progress through the plot of the game, various situations arise, but at no point do you get to decide "exactly" what happens.

From the story: "They don't show women as being valued for anything other than their sexuality." "... and it's a man in this game deciding how many women he wants to be with."

This is totally wrong. First, you can choose to play as a female main character. Second, the female non-player characters in the game are shown as intelligent, complex, strong women who can do valuable things including saving the main character's life. In this game sexuality plays a very minor part. And finally, if the sex scene occurs, it is in the context of a relationship gradually established over many hours of play through many character interactions.