iPhone

Use this forum to post anything that is not video game related.
Achilles

iPhone

Post by Achilles » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:46 pm

It was announced today, with Apple TV as well. I don't know about you guys but I will be trading in my PocketPC Cellphone in June to get an iPhone, I am really excited for this, it looks simply amazing.

More info on it here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:30 pm

Yeah I hope it doesn't suck. Here's the Cnet video for the Iphone. Excited, very excited for this.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_iPhone/45 ... ag=bubbl_1

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:34 pm

I have read, watched and digested everything I can this right now. I am not a mac fan boy, in fact I was just the opposite until recently, but the iPhone and AppleTV have really done me in. I traded in my old iPod for a Zune, and I love my Zune and think the future is going to be bright, if its not the best thing right now. But the future of AppleTV and iPhone are going to be huge, the impact they are going to have is going to be massive, so much more than just surface, linear affects on the markets. This is a very exciting time for technology and integrating into out lives.

</rant>

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:36 pm

Yeah, the iPhone looks sweet. I am guessing DS style gaming is something they will definitely integrate into it. My only concern right now is the price $499 and $599, ouch. The other thing I wonder about is how smudged the touch surface will get if you have it pressed against your face. But, it does look sweet.

--Raz.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:46 pm

I'm sure like any other device similar to it, cell phones and such you will be able to clean the screen once it does it smudged, my phone already does that and is not an issue with or without an extra screen protector. The price, yea, a little high, especially considering the $499 price tag is WITH a 2 year contract, only with AT&T, a major drawback for me, I'm a Verizon guy and already in a 2 year contract on a pocketpc. But I figure if I start saving now, the $499 price tag shouldn't be too much an issue, I just hope AT&T gets a little better over the next 6 months, that's really the only drawback.

Wow another rant, sorry.

teal

Post by teal » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:37 am

We geeked out on the iPhone for at least an hour at work yesterday. I thought the price pretty reasonable for Apple tehnology... (let's face it it's all overpriced)
But, what you're paying for is that sleek apple design which I've fallen in love with since i got my Mac Book Pro. Sure there are other phones that can offer a similar bullet list of features but the iPhone looks to be generations ahead of everyone else b/c of the design.... I'll probably make the switch to Cingular (i'm also a Verizon guy at the moment) and pick up an iPhone once the 2nd iteration of the hardware comes out (xmas 2007?).... that said though, I'm a weak, weak man and could very well end up breaking down in June when I'm freed from my verizon shackles.

I really wasn't impressed with the iTV. It makes no sense to me that it's pretty made to connect only with HD tv's (only hdmi/component connections) yet there's no HD content on iTunes. I definitely like where MS has gone with it's TV/Movie service... If iTunes started carrying some HD conent then we might have something....

I have one question about iTV that I couldn't figure out from the site... The device will sync with iTunes locally, but you can't actually connect to the iTunes store on the iTV? true/false?

*and since we're on the subject (kind of), the one big change that I would love to see from MS would be the ability to save content downloaded "through" the 360 on a networked (mapped) drive. Not just being able to stream music from a network directory but to actually be able to save purchased content on a network drive would make the packaged size of the HDD irrelevant. Will it happen? Probably not, thanks to super strict DRMs, but a boy can dream can't he?

-t.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 am

I agree on all counts actually. I think the AppleTV (Not iTV :-P ) looks good, but yea, MS has already done this and is already ahead in IPTV with the new XBOX Dashboard updates coming out, plus you can buy and watch and all that right on the device. As you asked, the AppleTV does not connect with iTunes marketplace, meaning you can't buy things on it, just watch trailers and such, kind of a bummer. I also agree MS needs to add some kind of networking feature to store things you have downloaded on the device, with only a 20gig HD and most HD movies being 6gig+ you can't store very many on it, very annoying. As for AppleTV only working with HD TV's, I think, as with all other technology makers and broadcasters right now, there is a HUGE push to get everyone to buy an HDTV, whether they need it or not, and I think if the AppleTV catches on, this will be the push that they are all looking for. With the drop in HDTV's prices and this I would expect to see a huge gain in the sales of HDTV's over the next year.

Oh well, just my opinions. :-)