Twitch Asylum Video Game Radio Episode #4

Forum containing news postings

Moderator: Admin group

raz0red
Site Admin

Twitch Asylum Video Game Radio Episode #4

Post by raz0red » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:00 am

Our fourth podcast is now available! Download it here.
In our "Retro Respect" segment, we review the very cool Atari Flashback 2 game console. In addition to playing a large number of retro games out of the box, we further discuss the ability to hack the console to use actual 2600 cartridges. Then, we present the first part of a two part phone interview with Curt Vendel. Curt is the founder of the Atari Historical Society, runs atarimuseum.com, and was the project and hardware lead for the Atari Flashback 2 game console.

During our "rant" segment we discuss the demise of TechTV and G4. We ponder on why it is still referred to as, "Video Game Television" when less than 50% of the actual content being provided is even slightly video game related.

Our "Gaming Moments" this episode include a look at Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion (360), Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (360), Feeding Frenzy (360), and Star Soldier (PSP).

In our look at the news we discuss a video of the new Super Mario Bros. game for the Nintendo DS that was shown at the GDC, that "I Eat Poo" is ripping up the Metroid Prime Hunters online leader boards, that some people are experiencing nature virtually (exclusively), and that a player in a MMORPG is going to be crucified for his actions in the game.

Pictures mentioned in the podcast are available here.
Last edited by raz0red on Sun May 28, 2006 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:04 am

During the podcast, we mention several photos from Mexico, photos of the hacked Flashback 2, etc. I wasn't able to get them posted prior to posting the podcast (editing took a bit longer then expected). However, I will have them posted tonight, so please check back.

Thanks.

--Raz.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:44 am

The pictures mentioned in the podcast are now available.

Check them out at:

http://www.twitchasylum.com/gallery/

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:05 pm

Okay,

I didn't think Episode 2 could be topped. Afterall, Howard Scott Warshaw is the pinnacle of all things video games (to some people...) but you guys did it! Episode 4 was excellent! The 2600 will always hold a special spot in this gamers heart and to be honest I haven't gotten a Flashback yet for the mere fact that my mindset was "What could be better than the original?" Which I have in my entertainment center now.

Thanks to you guys, I'll be stopping by my local Target to pick up a flashback and get my geek on by installing that awesome cartridge slot!!

Looking forward to the second half of the Curt Vendel interview!

Awesome Job!!
SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:46 am

Cool, glad you liked it!

If you haven't picked up the cartridge slot yet, you will want to contact best electronics.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

The part you need is:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/2600 ... .htm#guide
Atari 2600A Black Cartridge guide and 24 pin cartridge connector CO15573A $10.00
They have a minimum order limit of $20. So, I ordered some paddles at the same time. Although, I am seriously considering ordering a trackball from them soon. I really want to play centipede/missile command with it.

--Raz.