Japan hates Loco Roco?

Forum to discuss the Playstation family of consoles
raz0red
Site Admin

Japan hates Loco Roco?

Post by raz0red » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:55 am

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/japan-hate ... 190821.php
Sony has rolled out a giant failure with LocoRoco. Oddly fun, the game was pegged to be the PSP's own Katamari-type hit. The company poured millions into advertising the PSP game, even shifting marketing focus from other titles to LocoRoco. This game, Sony was convinced, had all the makings of a smash.

The game went on sale July 13th, and the entire country of Japan let out a collective "meh."
Crazy. I thought the demo of this game was awesome. Just goes to show, it is hard to predict how an internationaly audience will react to a game. I find it interesting that this game will probably be a much bigger hit in the U.S. than in Japan, even though that was where the game was initally targeted for.

--Raz.

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:59 pm

I wonder if it failed because they didn't like the game or because there has not been that many psp unit sold.
Wii Wii Wii

Matt

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:05 pm

msaeger wrote:I wonder if it failed because they didn't like the game or because there has not been that many psp unit sold.
Very good point. If you look at the pics in that article, you will see that they have a whole "package" that includes Loco Roco and a PSP. So, they were probably trying to use it to sell units. The DS owns Japan, and one game isn't going to turn the tide. A steady flow of hits is the only way they are going to make an impact.

--Raz.