Convert PSX games to PSP.

Forum to discuss the Playstation family of consoles
LimitZer0

Convert PSX games to PSP.

Post by LimitZer0 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:10 am

Finally a reason to use my PSP yet again...

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=51374

Now I just need to update the firmware.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:10 am

Yeah, I have read about this as well. However, I am not sure I want to upgrade my pristine 1.5 to run the customized firmware. From what I have heard you don't really need 1.5 anymore with this custom firmware. If you make the leap, please let me know how it goes.

--Raz.

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:49 am

This looks very promising... /strokes chin and ponders getting the PSP

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:50 am

I've updated my firmware to 3.10 OE-A. I was anxious as i've been on 1.5 forever.

Man.... it rocks!

I can play all the homebrew and emulators that i was playing when it was on firmware 1.5, but now i can run PS1 games and new PSP UMD discs.

It basically does everything now.

I'm enjoying re visiting my old PS1 collection...... The original Tombraider, Colin Mcrae 2 and RC Stunt Copter are what i'm currently playing. They look good reduced down to the PSP's screen too.

Has anyone else upgraded to this firmware?

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:43 pm

Horprodukt wrote:I've updated my firmware to 3.10 OE-A. I was anxious as i've been on 1.5 forever.

Man.... it rocks!

I can play all the homebrew and emulators that i was playing when it was on firmware 1.5, but now i can run PS1 games and new PSP UMD discs.

It basically does everything now.

I'm enjoying re visiting my old PS1 collection...... The original Tombraider, Colin Mcrae 2 and RC Stunt Copter are what i'm currently playing. They look good reduced down to the PSP's screen too.

Has anyone else upgraded to this firmware?
I haven't upgraded yet. I was waiting to hear from others whether or not it was worth it. I am still stuck at 1.5, but am able to play the majority of the newest games via UMD. I also heard that there was some compatibility issues. Is that true? If all looks good, I will go ahead and do the upgrade. I just have had such good lock with 1.5 it scares me a bit.

--Raz.

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:37 am

I only used my 1.5 PSP for emulation before.. SNES, Genesis, PC engine/Turbo Grafx, C64, etc. That was the main reason for me having a PSP, for the portable retro gaming opportunity. I wouldn't go anywhere near any sort of upgrades as i was happy with the 1.5.

Then a mate of mine at work upgraded his to 3.10 OE-A so i had a bit of a play around with that.

All i have found is that it does everything i was doing with 1.5 but more. First i tested all my emulators and they work fine (i just had to manually navigate to the roms folder the first time i launched an emulator, but they ran automatically after that).

To be honest there's not a great deal of PSP UMD games i was after, Loco Roco was my first choice as that's fantastic, and then i'll probably go for Metal Slug and Gradius Collections, and Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins.

What was cool with the update was the ability to take PS1 games and transfer those to the PSP. There's loads i would like to have on the move from my PS1 collection..... Tombraider, Metal Gear Solid, Raystorm, Silent Bomber, Crash Bandicoot..... tons of stuff. They look great on the PSP. They run well, no slow down. This was the reason i upgraded.

The one thing with the PS1 games is that they haven't converted with a 100% success rate. Of the games we tried about 75% converted and work no problem. Some didn't, but when we tried another disc of the same game sometimes they did for some reason. Tombraider 2 hasn't converted at all and we (me and the mate at work) have tried both our discs.

What compatibility issues have you heard of?

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:52 am

I upgraded a few days ago. It seems to work with all my games.

The only problem I have is it not recognizing all the ISOs I put on the memory stick. I have a 4 gb stick, but anything after around 2gb it can't read.

PSX games work great.

It has a folder for things that run off the 1.5 firmware and another for the 3.10 so it should work with everything.

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:39 am

I'm currently playing converted PS1 games on my PSP (firmware 3.10 OE-A) which work great.....

Castlevania : Symphony of the Night (probably the best Castlevania in the series, and looks absolutely stunning on the PSP).

R-Type Delta (Again, looks and plays really well).

Colin Mcrae 2 (I forgot how tough it was, as i've been used to playing Burnout Revenge recently which is very forgiving).

Having a portable PS1 is very cool indeed.

Have you, or will you upgrade Raz?

steve0

Post by steve0 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:17 am

I have read about this as well.