Size Matters

Forum to discuss the Playstation family of consoles
msaeger

Size Matters

Post by msaeger » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:17 am

So is Size Matters worth getting the PSP for ? I really like ratchet and clank it is just about my favorite game but the controls on the PSP have always scared me off. That analog stick just seems to be in a really bad place. There are now several games that sound good for the PSP so it's probably time to get one but everytime I check out the demo on at the store I just thing it would be hard to play. (the games being 40 bucks really stinks too)

So I need some PSP fanboy to push me over the edge :)
Wii Wii Wii

Matt

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:55 am

Well, I am not a PSP fanboy, but I do enjoy my PSP from time to time. I personally like Ratchet and Clank, but I still find the controls a bit awkward on the PSP. The issue is that you control the camera with the left and right triggers on the back of the PSP. While this works decently, I feel like I am always stuggling a bit with the camera. All that said, the game is really good and original, a rarity for the PSP.

There are quite a few other games that I have enjoyed on my PSP as well (Lego Star Wars II, Loco Roco, Exit, Daxter, Lumines, and my favorite Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins). Also, the new Castlevania looks like it is going to be great. So, I don't think buying a PSP is a bad thing. There aren't the innovative games that you would find on the PSP, but I still enjoy it.

Also, if you can get a custom firmware installed, the emulators are incredible. I really enjoy the SNES, NES, and Neo Geo emulators.

--Raz.

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:15 am

raz0red wrote:
Also, if you can get a custom firmware installed, the emulators are incredible. I really enjoy the SNES, NES, and Neo Geo emulators.

--Raz.
I've never been able to get the NeoGeo emulator working on the PSP (and i love NeoGeo stuff). Which one are you using? Was it straight forward to get going?

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:20 pm

I was about ready to just buy one today but we got like 20 inches of snow so now I really feel like getting a snow blower instead :)
Wii Wii Wii

Matt

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:15 pm

Horprodukt wrote: I've never been able to get the NeoGeo emulator working on the PSP (and i love NeoGeo stuff). Which one are you using? Was it straight forward to get going?
I have been using NeoCD-PSP.

http://www.rainemu.com/html/archive/tux/neocdpsp.html

It has always worked great for me. I haven't tried the NeoGeo rom-based emulator, so that one might not work as well.

Really all you should need to know with this emulator is the following:
/PSP/GAME/NEOCDPSP/
(or any others directory since v0.5)
+ EBOOT.PBP
+ STARTUP.BIN
+ loading.bmp
+ logo.bmp
+ NEOCD.BIN (BIOS)

Games can be zipped or unzipped.
Music in mp3 format have to be in a "neocd.mp3" subfolder.

Example :

/PSP/GAME/NEOCDPSP/MetalSLug/
+ mslug.zip
+ neocd.mp3/
+ Metal Slug - Track 02.mp3
+ Metal Slug - Track 03.mp3
+ Metal Slug - Track 04.mp3
+ Metal Slug - Track 20.mp3

You can uncompress the zip file for faster loading time.
MP3 Tracks have to finish by the "tracker number.mp3"

=> "mslug-02.mp3" is good
=> "02-mslug.mp3" is wrong
Let me know if you have any problems getting the CD one to install and work, and I can probably help you fix it.

I have a blast playing Samurai Showdown, 2020 Super Baseball, and Metal Slug 2.

--Raz.

teal

Post by teal » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:08 pm

I totally missed this thread earlier. I got to write the Size Matters review for Gamehelper.com.

http://consoles.gamehelper.com/common/d ... ES&ID=1060

Be sure to visit Gamehelper, but I'll give you the quick run down.

I haven't liked very many games on the PSP, but Size Matters is terrific. It's every bit as good as the three main entries into the series (R&C, Going Commando & Up Your Arsenal) and there's tons of love for Clank. Of course, its major issue isn't with the game but with the hardware. Honestly, i couldn't play the game with the default camera, but once I switched the camera to *follow* mode the game was fine (you can still tweak the camera using the triggers). There's a lil bit of a learning curve but i thought it worked far better than most psp games.

I even went through the game a second time after I had already finished up the review, but unfortunately since it was a final-code rom I had to send it back :( But, I did go out and pick it up for my nephew who now refuses to put it down.

So yeah, I thought it was a great game. Probably my best experience on the PSP other than Lumines.

Raz- did you try using the follow camera after we talked the other day?

-t.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:39 pm

teal wrote:Raz- did you try using the follow camera after we talked the other day?
Yup, later that day I tried it with "follow camera" enabled, it is a *ton* more playable. I finally am able to enjoy the game without messing with the camera. I don't know why they didn't decide to make that the default.... But, anyway, once you tweak the setting, it is like a brand new game.

Thanks for the tip! (And the help on Crackdown)

--Raz.