Almost $1 million in COD2 maps sold

Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
raz0red
Site Admin

Almost $1 million in COD2 maps sold

Post by raz0red » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:57 am

Looks like microtransactions are here to stay as Activision racked up almost a mill for their add on map packs. I fear that we will start to see more incomplete games shipped as publishers try to get more money back on content that they save for "future" microtransaction accessible content.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155241.ht ... bj=6155241
In a question-and-answer session following the company's earnings call, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick broke down the number of downloads and money made by each downloadable map pack. The free bonus pack, which included two maps, tallied 334,000 downloads. The $5 Skirmish Map Pack was downloaded 105,000 times and generated $368,000, and the $10 Invasion Map Pack invaded 66,000 360s and raked in almost half a million dollars.
--Raz.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:54 pm

This news makes me very sad!

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:44 am

I actually like the idea of microtransactions for games. The ability to expand out a game with additional map packs and/or alternative storylines is definately a bonus vs. releasing a whole new game (if the engine is the same). Take Unreal Tournament for example, the lifespan of the title is quadrupled due to additional map packs. The only difference there is that the maps are offered for free as a THANK YOU to their loyal fans. XBOX game developers would be wise to follow this lead.

You make a good point though Raz. The microtransactions cannot and should not interfere in any way with the completion of my game! These map packs should only be for online multiplayer matchs only. Incorporating them into singleplayer for game completion would just flat out be robbery. Honestly, i don't think gamers would stand for that. I know I wouldn't!!

SjN
Last edited by iamsjn on Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:14 am

COD 2 is the number one game played on Xbox Live besides Halo 2. I love the game. I have all the achivements for it. The only game that is really incomplete is Oblivion. There are so many downloads for that game.