Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
The Brass

Post by The Brass » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:15 pm

yea even though i dont have a 360 or ever played geo wars

1 million sounds like a big number congrats 2 ya
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

teal

Post by teal » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:15 pm

1 Million is definitely a milestone in GW. I haven't played much since I hit 1.7 Mil, but I may have to get back on the horse soon. I feel like people are gun'n for me!?

-teal.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:22 am

I have been ramping on Geometry wars. A million a few days ago, then 1.2 mill. Yesterday I achieved 1.3 million again. Not long now Teal, your days are numbered.... heh.

--Raz.

teal

Post by teal » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:55 am

That may be, but I've still got the lead for the GW achievements too.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:15 am

Sad but true.... argh...

On a side note, I must say that coming up with that, "I can't seem to connect to you" when we attempted to play Table Tennis was very convenient... :lol:

--Raz.

teal

lies!

Post by teal » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:42 pm

Slander!

Seriously though...
We'll have to try again. I have the same problem with my brother who lives in Portland. For some reason we cannot connect to each other in several XBL titles (PGR3,FN3, Rally Sport 1&2). It's odd because he connects directly to me for games like Halo 2 (party system) without a problem. So it seems to be problems specific to some games rather than an overall firewall issue. Anyway, I'll have to try bypassing my router some night and try to connect then.

-teal.

teal

The bar has just been raised.

Post by teal » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:06 pm

2.1 million.

All while I was on the phone with my girlfriend (don't tell her though).

-teal.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:37 pm

Oh man! Ugh... You may be beyond my reach now... I thought I was doing pretty well to get to 1.3 million earlier today...

--Raz.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:15 pm

Can you guys please give some advice for staying alive in this game. I can't seem to stay alive enough to do anything spectacular. Thanks. :D

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:21 am

R3V3N4N7 wrote: Can you guys please give some advice for staying alive in this game. I can't seem to stay alive enough to do anything spectacular. Thanks.
Well, I can tell you what I tend to do. Hopefully Teal will chime in with his strategies since he has distanced himself from me on the leaderboard. But...

1.) I tend to hover somewhere between the middle and bottom of the playfield. I used to try to stick toward the bottom of the screen, but I found if you do that, enemies will spawn on top of you and kill you without allowing you time to react.

2.) I try to destroy the holes as soon as possible. However, especially on later levels when you have those red things chasing you, I might start a hole, and use it to suck them in. In later levels as well, sometimes I let the holes blow up if I am doing the circular pattern (see #3). One thing about the holes, I used to be careful shooting them, making sure they didn't suck me in. But, I have sort of learned that you can for the most part just go right after them (again, typically on the later levels) and destroy them. I rarely slow down, I just head for them and mow them down.

3.) If you hover like I mention in #1, the game tends to place holes in all four corners. Then, you can do what is known as the circular pattern. Essentially you can just go around the playfield clockwise or counter-clockwise, taking out the holes and taking out the things that are chasing you. Seems to work pretty well.

4.) The way to achieve a high score is all about the multiplier. The best way to get it to a high level typically occurs on later levels when you have swarms of enemies following you. You can get an enormous number of enemies following as you do the circle pattern. So, when you stop to start blasting the group, because there are so many enemies, your multiplier will jump almost immediately to a high multiplier. To me, that has been the key to getting my highest scores.

5.) During the game, but especially on the later levels, don't hesitate and change directions. If you are taking out enemies, don't pause and attempt to turn around. Just keep mowing the direction you are heading, you will be surprised to find out the types of sticky situations you can drive right through to the other side.

6.) Those bees suck. I have been successful getting through them sometimes, but it is difficult. When in doubt, don't risk your multiplier on them, use a smart bomb. If you mess around enough, there are techniques, but it is all about timing, squeezing through small gaps along the wall, etc. Overall, they suck though.

That is about it off the top of my head. Those are just the techniques I tend to use. So, hopefully that will help you out a bit. I will be watching your scores on the leader board. :D

--Raz.

teal

Post by teal » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:26 am

I think Raz hit on most of the key strategies. Doing the "circle" route is probably the most important thing betweeen 100k & 500k. once you get close to a million, things get a little crazy.

Raz is right about sticking around too long near the edges; it's not at all uncomon for a large group of enemies to spawn all around you (usually ON you) and kill you without having any chance of getting away.

It's important to know how the game is structured. The game keeps track of how fast you dispose of the different enemy waves and adjusts the "difficulty" accordingly. So, it can sometimes be in your interest to take your time. This is made possible as raz said by being able to get large numbers of enemies chasing after you when you do the "circle" route along the periphery of the map.

There are techniques to get rid of the "triangles of death" and once you get the hang of it they won't be such a problem (till you get to ~1million). It would be hard to describe those techniques in a post though....

My advice would be to play the game for a few days and focus on NOT using your bombs. Just see how far you can go without using them. You'll start to see just what kind of situations you can get out of without them. Once you get comfortable getting to ~200k without getting killed or using bombs, then start using them again to try to get farther. Like Raz said, it's all about the multiplier so save your bombs for when you've got a good life going.

other things that might be helpful to know
*you get a new life every 75k
*you get a new bomb every 100k
*you can only have a maximum of 9 bombs/lives at one time

There are a bunch of videos out there that can be helpful too, although, most of them are only with waves after getting millions of points and so they're just completely insane.

Actually a video of say 25K to 250K would be really helpful for beginners, but I don't think it exists. I might look into putting something together (it will be pretty ghetto but it might be helpful).
-teal.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:19 pm

Thanks for all the tips. When I get back home I will try to put them into practice.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:12 am

My best score ever, and brings me within 300k of Teal's newly posted score. Feels good to finally move past the high score I was stuck at forever.

--Raz.

teal

yikes!

Post by teal » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:19 am

Looks like I need to get back to work. You're far too close for comfort...

-teal.

teal

Geometry Wars Video Tips

Post by teal » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:21 pm

In the interest of minimizing bandwidth, I created a short Geometry Wars help video that shows off a few of the main strategies for dealing with worms and the triangles of death. It also give a quick glimpse of the ever-popular "circular route" that most people use for dealing with the less chaotic bits of the game. The video is much shorter than a lot of the other GW videos on the net, but I think this is better for getting people started in the game. Hope it helps.

-teal.

Permalink is Here.