Gears of War

Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
R3V3N4N7

Gears of War

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:06 pm

I have to go to Eb and pick it up around seven. I'm really looking forward to it. From what I've heard and read on gamespot.com, it's amazing. I update this once I've had a chance to play with it.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:14 pm

I can't seem to find any around here... Ugh! I might have to wait until tomorrow... so sad.

--Raz.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:14 am

My Eb didn't get there shipment tonight :( Now I have to wait for tomorrow. I guess one more day can't hurt.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:30 am

Apparently the one plane that had Gears for Portland was "delayed". So, I won't have it until tomorrow either. I haven't been this psyched for a game in a long time. The Microsoft hype machine did its job on me.

--Raz.

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:19 pm

Best Buy sold my pre-order so I had to go to Wal Mart, the last place around that had any.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:52 pm

I bought mine at Fry's for $49.99. I have only played it a bit, but so far it is incredible.

--Raz.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:00 am

raz i saw u playing it yesterday and i wanted to know if Gears Is any good.
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:34 am

Is it living up to all the hype?

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:02 am

I will write a detailed review later when I have played it a bit more. But, from what I have played, it definitely lives up to the hype (for me).

I actually went in thinking this game was going to be a let-down based the on the hype, but it has far exceeded my expectations.

I really like the cover system. After playing the Rainbow Six demo, I was thinking that Gears would be more of the same. However, I really like the way Gears allows for various options of exiting cover.

The graphics are top notch (especially on an HDTV), that was sort of a given. But, the sound is also incredible. It is definitely the best looking (and sounding) 360 game.

This is one game I am not in a hurry to finish, I just like walking around and taking it all in.

Probably most important, I am having FUN.

--Raz.

teal

Post by teal » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:47 pm

I'll throw in my two cents real quick...

The orchestrated soundtrack is great.

Online co-op had absolutetly no hitches even with plenty of deaths/reloading (i was playing with my brother who lives in Portland, ~1500+ miles away).

Graphics: jawdropping. duh.

Matchmaking is frustrating when you try to play with a friend. There's no party system a la halo 2, unless you go and start your own lobby.

actual online gameplay seems lag free, although there's NO ping indicator when you're playing OR when selecting a server.

I'm most excited about the single player and coop experience. I'm still not convinced about the multiplayer simply because friends are not allowed to team up in ranked games. Btw, the multiplayer as a whole reminds me of counterstrike, minus the hostages... you'll play multiple rounds per map, with the same players, with teams switching spawn sites each round (mostly).

I'm going to try to power through the single player campaign on hardcore and then start doing some coop on the insane difficulty...with a smattering of multiplayer to boot.

-t.
Last edited by teal on Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:51 pm

All this talk and pictures and such of Gears of War makes me want to get a 360 even more! I need to stop being a poor college student already.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:27 am

I love this game! It is really cool. This one is a must have. GoW is the killer ap for 360!

teal

edit

Post by teal » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:47 am

I need to correct myself regarding a ping indicator... When browsing ranked matches, there is an indicator for your connection to the various hosts which is not present when browsing the regular player matches... there's still no ping indicator while actually playing the game....

What do you guys think of the way matchmaking is done? This is the only part of the game that I feel let down about. The game is great once you get into a match (especially when you're trying to play with friends) but it's really frustrating up till then.

-t.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:59 pm

omg i played it at my friends house and lucky hes a rich kid i played it in 20 inch hd tv with surround sound coop it was so damn fun. That game is sick i think the chain saw is the coolest thing, and blind fire helps alot they should put it in all shooters
Last edited by The Brass on Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:54 pm

I love everything about it buy the Vs. Multiplayer. This game is all about camping online and thats not what I like in a shooter. It comes down to who gets tired of waiting of the other team to come, and whoever is attacking is usually going to lose.