Xbox 360 Camera

Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
raz0red
Site Admin

Xbox 360 Camera

Post by raz0red » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:50 pm

In the last episode of the podcast, we mentioned the 360 camera device. Well, the guys over at "Xbox 360 fanboy" got some pictures of it at Microsoft's recent "XFEST" event.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/03/03 ... on-camera/
Our tipster sent in shots and descriptions from the three different demos on display at the event: "Xbox Live Camera Video Chat", facial mapping software from digimask, even a tank game that incorporates video into the game! More below the fold.
The cell style drawing from a photo seems fairly cool. However, the tank game w/ the opposing player's mugs seems a bit scary. I can only imagine what types of images we are going to start seeing in games... sigh.

--Raz.

R3V3N4N7

Eye Toy 360

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Wed May 31, 2006 8:49 pm

This could be a very cool thing or a very bad thing. It sounds like this is Microsofts Eye Toy but better. I think it's cool that you now have the ability to see who we've been playing with. The bad thing is that some people like to take a good thing and make it bad by taking vulgar pictures. Hopefully people wont or if they do Microsoft will be able to some how counter it.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:56 am

From what I have heard and read, Microsoft is very concerned about the camera being used for vulgar purposes, etc. So, it seems like they are going to use the "friends list" to allow you to limit its functionality. For example, you could say, I don't ever want to see anyone via the camera unless they are on my friends list, etc. Further, I think you are going to be able to have multiple images for your profile. One that is publicly available, and one only for your friends that can have your photo (obtained via the camera) associated with it, etc.

It remains to be seen how well this will work in practice. I am guessing most people will disable this, and have to live w/ a ton of questionable images...

--Raz.