Modified X-Arcade Solo stick for use with the 360.

Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
LimitZer0

Modified X-Arcade Solo stick for use with the 360.

Post by LimitZer0 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:16 pm

I just modified my X-Arcade stick for use with the 360/PC.

Long story short... I bought a wired 360 gamepad, took it apart, soldered wires on the button connections, connected them to the X-Arcade switches (will soon be replacing the buttons and switches with Happ buttons/switches).

I will post more details/pics later... I just had to brag. :D

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:05 pm

wow thats alot of trouble to get a game pad.... but do you know theres one coming out for 360? its made my madcat.
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:32 pm

Are you talking about this?

If so, that can't compare to this:

As far as I know, the only other semi decent option is the DOA stick.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:09 pm

That sounds awesome! Having a real controller on the 360 with true microswitches would be awesome.

You definitely have to post some pics.

I spent some time this weekend building a RS232 card for my old Commodore 64. It allows me to telnet to C-64 BBSs. I know, why would you want to? It is just nostalgic. I will post some pics of it soon...

--Raz.

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:01 pm

Here is some more detailed info:

Control Panel: X-Arcade Solo
Gamepad: Xbox 360 MicroCon Game Pad Pro (Gameshark/Madcatz) [This controller is smaller than the regular 360 controller, it is easier to mount. Works with the PC as well.]
Wire: 30 Gauge

Step 1 Buy Controller:

You can use any controller you want. The official Xbox 360 controllers have some black stuff on the pads that you need to scratch off. Not sure about other brands.

Step 2 Take Apart Controller:

Step 3a: Wire Controller:

I removed the rumble motors, you can choose to leave them on. On this controller, not all buttons share a common ground so I would advise a DMM. For the buttons, I used the holes in the board instead of the pads. This makes for a stronger connection and there is less chance of bridging. If you choose to do it this way, you will need to stick the corner of a razor in the hole and twist it around a little to expose some metal... Not too much. Flux is always recommended.

Step 3b:

Relieve the stress of the wires by looping them through the holes in the controller. Moving them around too much will cause them to break.

Step 4 Mounting (will have pics later):

I mounted it so the controller board would be above the switches, but you can mount it however you want. The two large holes on the gamepad board (where the zip-tie is in the pics) are where I put the screws in. The zip-tie is no longer there.

Step 5 Wiring (will have pics later):

You can wire it however you want. I wired mine for the general fighting game.

I don't have pics of the last two yet as I will be replacing buttons and cleaning up the wire mess. Will post them as soon as I take some. :wink:

Horprodukt

Post by Horprodukt » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:11 am

I have the X-Arcade Two Player Joystick and an adapter for the original Xbox and Dreamcast. It's a great Jostick, and the adapters work well.
The company that make the X-Arcade stuff will hopefully bring out an adapter for the Xbox 360. Their site states..........

"Xbox 360™ Adapter Availability.

We are receiving daily inquires regarding Xbox 360 adapter availability. If you weren't already aware, Microsoft™'s new policy for third-party controller support will drastically delay any releases from 3rd-party hardware makers like us. They have developed a security system for controllers to be recognized on the Xbox 360, therefore allowing the company to control the pricing and supply of all input devices for the system.

The motives for this policy can be revealed during an attempt to find a wireless controller for your 360 for less than $50. We currently do not have a locked release date for an XBOX™ 360 adapter , but will keep you posted. Rest assured that any news of progress on one will be posted in our newsletter. "

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:59 am

Horprodukt wrote:I have the X-Arcade Two Player Joystick and an adapter for the original Xbox and Dreamcast. It's a great Jostick, and the adapters work well.
The company that make the X-Arcade stuff will hopefully bring out an adapter for the Xbox 360. Their site states..........

"Xbox 360™ Adapter Availability.

We are receiving daily inquires regarding Xbox 360 adapter availability. If you weren't already aware, Microsoft™'s new policy for third-party controller support will drastically delay any releases from 3rd-party hardware makers like us. They have developed a security system for controllers to be recognized on the Xbox 360, therefore allowing the company to control the pricing and supply of all input devices for the system.

The motives for this policy can be revealed during an attempt to find a wireless controller for your 360 for less than $50. We currently do not have a locked release date for an XBOX™ 360 adapter , but will keep you posted. Rest assured that any news of progress on one will be posted in our newsletter. "
Yea, I have been checking the X-Arcade site for a 360 adapter about once a week since I got the 360. If they come out with one I can always switch my X-Arcade stick back. (depending on the cost of the adapter)

I also have an Xbox adapter, but now I can play original Xbox games on the 360.

This mod works with:

- A good portion of original Xbox games
- Xbox 360 games
- PC games/Mame

Anyway, if you already have a stick, the cost of the project is less than $40. It took about 3 hours to complete. It is not for everybody, I just couldn't wait any longer. :D