Guitar Hero II

Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
Achilles

Guitar Hero II

Post by Achilles » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:58 am

Is anyone getting this? I can't seem to justify spending $90 on a single game right now, can anyone else?

teal

Post by teal » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:08 am

If you don't already have GH2 for the PS2 then it's certainly worth the 90$. Even if you do have the ps2 version, downloadable content makes the 360 version very compelling.

A word of warning though, there seems to be some hardware issues with the controllers. The whammy bar and tilt sensors don't work anywhere near as well as they did on the PS2 controllers. There's some talk of a recall. I'm holding on to mine till i find out what's going on. hardware issues aside, I do love the game and find the leaderboards and achievments a nice incentive for "practicing" and "5 star-ing" all the songs. Word is that older songs from GH1 will be available for download next week (no price yet) Hopefully, the GH1 songs will have all the new coop features as well.

-t.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:21 am

teal wrote:If you don't already have GH2 for the PS2 then it's certainly worth the 90$. Even if you do have the ps2 version, downloadable content makes the 360 version very compelling.

A word of warning though, there seems to be some hardware issues with the controllers. The whammy bar and tilt sensors don't work anywhere near as well as they did on the PS2 controllers. There's some talk of a recall. I'm holding on to mine till i find out what's going on. hardware issues aside, I do love the game and find the leaderboards and achievments a nice incentive for "practicing" and "5 star-ing" all the songs. Word is that older songs from GH1 will be available for download next week (no price yet) Hopefully, the GH1 songs will have all the new coop features as well.

-t.
How bad are the issues that you talk about? I'm really on the fence about this, I love GH for the PS2, although I don't own it. Should I wait to get it, or should I get it now with the above mentioned issues?

teal

Post by teal » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:30 pm

Here's the Thing...

there are two different versions of the 360 guitar at retail. You can tell the difference between the two based on the position of the expansion jack. I ended up with one of each version. The rumor on the net that one of the two versions is the problematic one. I do know that one of my guitars is screwy, i'm not sure about the other. The problem I see with it is that the whammy bar isn't very responsive... it'll take several whammies before it actually starts kicking in and by that time it's too late.... Concerning the tilt sensor... on the ps2 guitars as soon as you tilt the guitars upright the star power activates. on the 360, at least one of my guitars feels like you have to really jerk the guitar upright and hold it there for a few seconds before the star power activates. It makes me screw up my streak nearly every time.

Hold off for a few days on buying the guitar. While the game is still very playable, the whammy/tilt problems are frustrating. I'll figure out what the deal is on my two guitars and post back this weekend. Hopefully they'll have this stuff resolved quickly, but it'll cost them a bundle to do a recall on the guitars...

-t.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:30 pm

I gave in and bought it today at Circuit City, came with 1,600 free MS points, so that was a deal. So far it is as good as the PS2 version, I think I got the good guitar, the whammy works well and the super star thing is very sensitive.