Got my DS Lite

Forum to discuss the Nintendo family of consoles
raz0red
Site Admin

Got my DS Lite

Post by raz0red » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:16 pm

I was able to pick up my Nintendo DS Lite today. I have to say, I am really liking it. It is exactly the right form factor, and you don't feel like a complete lamer carrying it around (It looks a lot like an IPod). The screen is very bright, I took it out in the sun, and was able to play it easily.

I figured I would also test out the ability to download to it via a Nintendo Download Station, so I walked into Target with it. It connected and displayed a list of like 10 things I could download. I chose to try out Mario Kart. If you turn your DS off, it will lose the download, but you can just put it into sleep mode if you want it to retain the game for longer. I think tomorrow I will go back and download the Brain Age demo. The only thing I would say, is that it would be cool if you could download these demos via the Internet. But, I am guessing by putting it in stores, they are thinking you are apt to buy something while you are there... Pretty good strategy.

Anyone else get one yet?

--Raz.

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:15 pm

I might buy one tomorrow I shouldn't because I want to get a new laptop but I probably won't be able to resist.

What games did you get ? You need new super mario if you didn't get that.

Probably shouldn't mention it but did you see the best buy and circuit city offers for brain age for free with the ds lite purchase ?

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:34 am

My b-day is on Tues, and I have been told by a very reliable source that I will be getting some gift cards, so I was holding off on buying any new games until then. I am definitely going to pick up the new Super Mario though. Although, I played it in Target yesterday, and it seemed way too easy. I hope the full version is a bit harder. I played for like 15 minutes and never died. My favorite of the series was Super Mario World, I am hoping this one can compare.

I had my DS on pre-order, so I couldn't go down to Circuit City. That, and I didn't know about it until later in the day. I guess if I was smart, I would have just bought a game w/ my EB money and went over and picked it up at Circuit City... Sigh...

My wife and I played the Brain Age demo quite a bit last night (I drove by EB on my way to work out and downloaded it outside the store since they were closed). Overall, we like it, but it has trouble interpreting "BLUE" on the color test. While, I could understand it having a problem w/ one of our voices, the fact that it has trouble with both, seems like a problem with the game. I searched around, and tons of people have issues with "BLUE". So, we started saying "LUE" and it seems to work fine. Odd... Seems that needed to be tested a lot more. I wish you could train it to your voice and your hand writing style. Oh well... it is a "budget" title.

--Raz.

teal

I am a weak, weak man.

Post by teal » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:04 am

I told myself I wasn't going to waste my money on another DS. But once I noticed the free brain age deal (thanks kotaku) I thought, well maybe I'll just go check it out.

I get to Best Buy, and find plenty of DS Lites. So I pick one up, just to think about it, and walk around the store for a while.
Still not really wanting to fall into Nintendo's trap of making everyone purchase the same hardware multiple times, I call my girlfriend so that she would talk me out of it... Of course, this is the same person who said...."if you're going buy an ipod why not just get the 60gig"....So, I now have a DS Lite, and a second copy of Brain Age.

I do like the Lite alot. I find it much more appealing to play DS games now. I think i'm going to go back and get Metroid Hunters and the Resident Evil DS game. It also seems easier to hold. Anyway, the Lite is how the DS should have been designed originally.

I haven't ever had a problem with my old DS not hearing "blue" correctly... Although I kind of remember my sister shouting Blue over and over and then cursing the DS out.... I'll have to try it on the Lite and see if i have the same problem with the Lite mics.

I haven't paid much attention to DS games in a while? Anybody have some to recommend? I've got New SMB, Advance Wars DS, tetris and brain age currently... anything else I should try besides RE & Metroid?

Anybody want a PSP? I'll be putting mine on ebay shortly.

-t.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:34 pm

Mariokart is great too.

NSMB is easy for the first few worlds but it gets harder. Then after you beat it you can go back and try to get all the large coins and thats pretty hard.

The problem with new mario games is they will never be as hard as the old ones just due to the fact that you can save.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:42 pm

True, but Super Mario World had a save also. I picked up New Super Mario Bros. today, and I have to say it is awesome! I even like some of the mini games. My concerns about difficulty were unfounded. It plays like a dream, and the screens on the DS Lite are amazing.

As a side note, I found a great use for the little case that comes with the PSP. It is a perfect fit for the DS Lite. :D

--Raz.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:08 pm

I got a DS Lite today! With it I got Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros., and Advance Wars Dual Strike. Now I need to add some DS titles to my Gamefly queue. New Super Mario is a lot of fun, and Animal Crossing looks promising. I haven't played Advance Wars yet but I've played the other AW games on GBA, so I know how it works.

Tom

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:07 pm

Looks like I got one late... but better late than never.

Unfortunately it has a dead pixel...

It seems everything I buy lately is broken or has an annoying defect.

My PSP has 4 dead pixels right in the center of the screen.
My first Xbox 360 kept freezing and eventually stopped working.
(still messing with MS to get my previously purchased live games to work for my girlfriends account)
My new 360 freezes sometimes. (not as bad as my previous 360)
And now my DS lite has a dead pixel.

Are we at a point where these gadgets cost so much to make, they ship with defects? Or are these companies just trying to be shiesty?

Anyway... I will sell this one on eBay a month before the colored ones come to the US.

Aside from the dead pixel, I love it. It has a very bright screen and does not look like the car from back to the future... unfortunately I can't say the same for the PS3. I do fear that some games that were designed to look perfect on the DS Phat might look to bright on the DS Lite though.

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:09 pm

Wow, I wish I saw this a few days ago... http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=020275

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:14 am

LimitZer0 wrote: It seems everything I buy lately is broken or has an annoying defect.

My PSP has 4 dead pixels right in the center of the screen.
My first Xbox 360 kept freezing and eventually stopped working.
(still messing with MS to get my previously purchased live games to work for my girlfriends account)
My new 360 freezes sometimes. (not as bad as my previous 360)
And now my DS lite has a dead pixel.

Are we at a point where these gadgets cost so much to make, they ship with defects? Or are these companies just trying to be shiesty?
This is something I have been wondering for some time as well. Is the technology getting so complex that the rate of defect is higher than it has been in the past? Or, is it that we now have the Internet and instantly see and hear about everyones issues (while in the past we could only get info from our immediate circle of friends)?

I am thinking it is probably a combination of both. But, it does suck for the consumer. I really like my 360, my PSP and, my DS, but all of them have had their issues. The oven-like heat factor, the dead pixels, and the cracking hinges... argh.

--Raz.

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:45 pm

Okay, so I sold my old (white) DS Lite on eBay. I bought a black DS Lite hoping there would be no problems with it but it is even worse. It has 1 stuck pixel, it is stuck on green so its not as bad as before. The big problem is that the screens are not the same contrast. On a white background, the top screen is white and the bottom screen is yellowish. I have heard about other people having this problem and it does not sound like a big deal, but it bothers me a lot. I could live with a dead or stuck pixel, but having a yellow bottom screen is extremely annoying and takes all my attention off of any game I'm playing (with a light background that is).

Nintendo is sending me a shipping label to send it in for repairs. I have a feeling they are just going to look at it and send it back though. If this is the case, my DS Lite and games will be going to eBay.