Arcade Moments

Forum for our Podcast
zodiacprime

Arcade Moments

Post by zodiacprime » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:40 pm

Your descriptions of the arcades of the 80s was spot on guys, you really took me back. I also grew up in Oregon so it was nice to hear you reminisce about some of our old stomping grounds. I think a lot of kids today have a general misconception of the what the arcades of yore meant to us who were there. Much more than a place to go and hang out, they were a mini-mecca of social interaction. Girls, boys, men, women of all ages gathering together for the love of the game. The sights, the sounds... thanks for taking me back there. Almost makes me want to break out my Member's Only jacket ;)

However, as you mentioned, the arcade still lingers in some areas. Game Works here in Seattle is a great example, the ESPN Zones are another, but for the 'ol timey feel nothing beats Ground Kontrol, located right in your own backyard: http://groundkontrol.com/news/index.php but I'm afraid that nothing will ever capture the milieu of the those early arcades...

So my "moment"? Hmmm... that's a tough one. There was one of those bowling alley arcades in Tillamook (hey see, bowling AND arcades... its all relative I guess) Anyway, there was this bowling alley arcade in Tillamook that I used to frequent and I was flirting with this girl and she with me (we must've been 12 or 13). It must have really given me the boost I needed because I was totally owning Tempest. Between the rounds I'd give a wink, she a giggle. Well, I guess the flirting got some recognition because during the next round I felt a tap tap on my shoulder, not to be bothered I kept playing. The tap got harder so I turned to see a strapping young lad at least two years my elder with an angry looking frown. "May I help you?" I asked newly polite (he was buff). "Outside" was all he said. Not one to turn down a challenge I complied - I usually could hold my own... whap... whap... whap... crack!!! It was really all over in a matter of seconds: He hit me, I hit him, then followed with a round-house right and bloodied his nose! Then realized that I had also dislocated my pinky finger... Like all fights at that age, we were laughing about it 10 minutes later in the bowling alley bathroom. Ah to be young again eh? btw, my pinky still has a slight crook to it ;-)

Anyone else with a good story?

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:56 am

Great story! I am glad you liked that portion of the show. I really do miss the arcades of the past, they are truly some of my best memories.

I dislocated my pinky finger as well, but mine was due to playing basketball. To this day, it always pops out whenever it gets hit oddly, sort of annoying.

As far as Ground Kontrol goes, I am there all the time. I work downtown and often just stop in to see if they have anything new. It still doesn't seem to capture that feel of the 80's arcades (probably due to the fact that I know what all of the games are), but it definitely brings back memories. We are considering doing an on-location recording of the podcast at Game Kontrol, with interviews, etc. Hopefully we can hook that up sometime in the near future.

--Raz.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:39 pm

I was just in Seattle last weekend so I stopped by Game Works. It is a lot of fun, but still not the same as the atmosphere of the arcades in the 80's.

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:37 pm

Although I am too young (25) to have experienced the same arcade experience that you guys did, I do remember every mall around here (San Diego, CA) had an arcade in it when I was a kid. I also remember the crowds of people around good players or new games as well as the putting the quarter on the screen to show that you get to play next.

The closest experience I have had to that recently is going to Dave & Busters. Not sure if you guys have been there but its a very social (alcohol) arcade environment. The majority of arcade games are crappy now but they have a couple good ones and a couple of great older games. Not sure if you all are into Daytona USA, but there is a 10 car setup at Dave & Busters with race cams on the drivers and monitors above each game for other people there to watch you. It is very fun, especially when you are drinking.

Anyway, you guys should check it out, I believe I saw one in Portland so you probably know about it.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sun May 28, 2006 9:56 pm

I think you are talking about Ground Kontrol, which zodiacprime referred to above.

We all work downtown right by it. It is an awesome retrocade. We are considering contacting them and doing an on-location podcast. It would be cool to be able to hear the classic arcade sounds in the background during the Podcast.

--Raz.

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:07 am

raz0red wrote: We all work downtown right by it. It is an awesome retrocade. We are considering contacting them and doing an on-location podcast. It would be cool to be able to hear the classic arcade sounds in the background during the Podcast.
Hey, any traction on this? I think it't be great to have this be a regular thing. Maybe get the folks at Ground Kontrol involved and interview some of the regulars and any luminaries that happen to pass through.