Twitch Asylum Video Game Radio Episode #13

Forum containing news postings

Moderator: Admin group

raz0red
Site Admin

Twitch Asylum Video Game Radio Episode #13

Post by raz0red » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:46 am

Our thirteenth podcast is now available! Download it here.

In this month's "discussion" segment, we focus on the recent Nintendo Wii press conference and the Tokyo game show. we discuss the announcements that were (and were not) made by Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony. We review the games that they demonstrated as well as discussing whether any of us will be camping for the upcoming console releases.

Our "Retro Respect" segment this time takes a temporary departure from the history of gaming. Instead, we focus on our top 20 favorite arcade games of all time. During the segment we reveal the ultra-scientific process we used to establish our top 20. Who came out on top? You must listen to find out.

Our "Gaming Moments" this episode include Test Drive Unlimited (360), Saints' Row (360), Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (DS), Lego Star Wars II (PSP), Killzone: Liberation (PSP), Tenchu Senran (360), and The Ship (PC).
Last edited by raz0red on Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:14 am

NICE!!
Got up first thing this morning, made some coffee and sat down at my home machine. Alas, no Twitch.... :cry:
Got into the office, got set up, check the network then launched Firefox...

Whoooo-Hoooo You guys came through! :mrgreen:

Oh, Steam, you GOTTA post some pics of that skin pack you got! Okay, I gotta get outta here I need to find one of those Wii Removes....

--SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:05 pm

Skins are gay... Free or not. :wink:

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:22 pm

yo who ever plays CT lemme know
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:03 pm

great episode once agai nand even better no delays!!!! nice srry about ur xbox raz hope it gets better and happy birthday to that little kid who had a birthday almost the same day as me i can say little kid be ause im 14 ohhhh yea
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:17 pm

The Brass wrote:great episode once agai nand even better no delays!!!! nice srry about ur xbox raz hope it gets better and happy birthday to that little kid who had a birthday almost the same day as me i can say little kid be ause im 14 ohhhh yea
I just shipped my Xbox back. Hopefully I will have a new one within a week and a half. It sucks not having it, but as long as I have it back for Gears I will be happy. :D

Also, happy belated birthday Brass. I hope you got everything you wanted.

--Raz.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:23 am

I gotta give Dave HUGE KUDOS for mentioning SATAN'S HOLLOW during the Retrorespect section! Hands down one of the better arcade games out there worthy of #6 on my Top 20 list!!

THANKS DAVE!!

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:07 am

The little part at the end with the litle brother was funny. Those little things at the end of the show are great.

dantebk

Post by dantebk » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:12 pm

Great podcast guys! I just got back from a little vacation for my birthday so I didn't listen to it until today.

Thanks Tom for mentioning me. It's nice to be noticed!

I just turned 25 and I'm afraid most of the arcade games you guys discussed would not have been on my list. I spent a lot of time in my childhood in various 7/11s and liquor stores back when arcade games were everywhere and my favorites are games like Sunset Riders, Cabal, Combatribes, Growl, Strider, the Capcom fighters, the Neo Geo fighters (especially Waku Waku 7!) and trackball bowling.

More opinions: I had both 720 and Skate Or Die! for the NES and liked Skate or Die! better. Skate or Die 2 for the Gameboy was awful.

One of the best things about remembering arcade games is remembering where you played them. I remember playing the original Street Fighter (as in, before Street Fighter 2, back when it was awful) at the 7/11 on Santa Monica Blvd. I remember playing Tempest in Toi on Sunset. And what I really remember well, and what I wish you guys would talk about sometimes, are the pinball tables. Creature From the Black Lagoon, Attack From Mars, Terminator 2, Star Wars, the basketball one, Gilligan's Island, Super Mario Bros, Funhouse, even South Park. Ah, back in the day...

(great, you got me saying it now)

dantebk

Post by dantebk » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:56 pm

Few more things:

The NBA pinball game is called Fast Break

I just played Tempest on my MAME cab and okay, maybe this is the one game that would've been on my Top 20 also

Can't believe I forgot to mention: Super Sidekicks, Pit Fighter, E-SWAT, X-Men, Simpsons, WWF WrestleFest -- okay, Pit Fighter sucks, but nostalgia is what it is

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:12 am

Know what you mean about forgetting certain games dantebk. Titles like

- ZAXXON
- Burger Time
- Gun Blade
- Gauntlet

and

- Sinistar

Should have been on my list. That is more reason why Chris, Woody & Tom did such a good job with their technique of determining their individual top 20 and their combined top 20.
Last edited by iamsjn on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:30 am

Great cast! I know I haven't posted in a while, first few weeks of my senior year in college have caught up with me.

The cast was really great. I loved the coverage of the big game shows but I really enjoyed the top 20 arcade games section. I must have smiled or laughed with each one you read off, I remembered almost all of them and remembered how much fun they brought me. Good picks as well.

Thanks again guys.

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:39 am

Another stellar show guys, I thoroughly enjoyed not only listening to your top 20, but the reasoning behind the picks as well. Makes it a bit easier to swallow why Puch-Out! wasn't on the list ;)

I'll side with Dave on Phoenix & Satan's Hollow. These games consumed many of my hard earned quarters. My first run in with Phoenix as far as I remember was at a pizzaria in Prineville, OR (of all places) in the late '80s. My girlfriend was working at the place so I'd have many opportunities to play while I waited for her to finish her shift. For some reason I remember the enemy patterns being slightly different than the current MAME implementation, so it may have been a bootleg.

Chris is absolutely right about Satan's Hollow, it had a mystique that seemed a bit taboo and always felt a bit naughty feeding it quarters. It seems quite tame by today's standards, but then again, doesn't everything? This is one game where the gameplay totally holds up after the attract screen. I still play this game regularly in MAME and would give any non-twitch finger for a working cab.
dantebk wrote: I just turned 25 and I'm afraid most of the arcade games you guys discussed would not have been on my list. I spent a lot of time in my childhood in various 7/11s and liquor stores back when arcade games were everywhere and my favorites are games like Sunset Riders, Cabal, Combatribes, Growl, Strider, the Capcom fighters, the Neo Geo fighters (especially Waku Waku 7!) and trackball bowling.
Great picks dantebk, I'd categorize these from the "second wave" of great arcade gaming and as such don't hold that sweet spot on my nostalgia radar, but great games nonetheless.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:20 am

Thanks, everyone, for all the comments. I like the idea of talking about pinball on one of our shows. I love pinball and have some good pinball stories. Maybe we'll have to do a pinball episode.

Tom

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:30 am

Check out these artistic pinball photos by Kevin Tiell. Just seeing these makes me want to go play pinball.