Intellivision Love?

Forum for discussions of retro consoles. Neo Geo, 2600, Odyssey, PSX, and sadly the Dreamcast.
zodiacprime

Intellivision Love?

Post by zodiacprime » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:58 pm

Harmik and I were talking over on the "Best Console Ever" thread (viewtopic.php?t=467) and in danger of hijacking it with our love of the the Intellivision, so I decided to start a topic here where it belongs. Anyone else out there share a love of overlays, golden discs, and digitized southern accents? What's your favorite classic Intelly game? Favorite Intelly homebrew? Please share your Intellivision stories here.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:23 am

As I mentioned previously, I had a 2600 and was always jealous of the Intellivision commercials. The games always looked a lot better than their Atari counterparts. There were a couple of games that I thought looked really cool, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, and the Star Wars game. Were those any good?

Also, I always found the disc controller a bit difficult to use at the Kiosk displays. Did you get used to it after a while, and how resilient to damage where they?

--Raz.

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:23 am

raz0red wrote:There were a couple of games that I thought looked really cool, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, and the Star Wars game. Were those any good?
Remember the day when competing consoles felt different? Like when the SMS games just had a totally different vibe than most NES games, or how the SNES seemed more "cozy" than the Genesis? Well, it was like that for Intelly/Atari. Most of us remember playing the Atari at some point, but Intellivision games had a totally unique feel to them. It's hard to explain, but even when the same games were released on both systems (which was pretty rare until late in the active lifespan of the system) the games felt different. the Empire Strikes Back back was one such gem. Very fun on the 2600, but oh so good on the Intellivision. I dunno... maybe it's just me, but I tend to prefer the Intelly ports. However, the real reason to get into the Intellivision was the first party games and that's where the AD&D games comes in - which I include Tower of Doom and to a lesser extent Thunder Castle to be part of. A stellar series of games that everyone should play at some point. Everyone seems to remember the intellivision for its sports lineup - and it was great mind you - but it really offers so much more than that. Just look through that issue of EG that you posted up (in another forum post) and you'll see that the Intellivision has a lot to offer. My favorites seem to change every week; but I love the Imagic games Demon Attack, Beauty & the Beast and Microsurgeon; the classic first-party games Star Strike, B-17 Bomber (voice enhanced), Mind Strike (for the ECS) and Shark!Shark! I also have most of the homebrew that has been created recently and I'm finding those are all good fun. Currently waiting for my copies of Space Patrol and 4-Tris to arrive. I'm very excited for these titles and think they represent a great trend.
raz0red wrote:Also, I always found the disc controller a bit difficult to use at the Kiosk displays. Did you get used to it after a while, and how resilient to damage where they?
Even though the control disc has its ups and downs, you actually get quite used to it... the problem for most folks is the tiny, hard buttons that are located on the side of the controller which can cramp the hand almost instantly. The sensors in the disc do tend to wear over time but it really depends how much you get into your gaming. If you're the sort that breaks nintendo controllers, you'll easily go through a set of intelly discs... better get the Intellivsion II so that you can easily swap controllers then, as the Intelly I has hardwired ports. Once the controls are dead on the original unit, you have to do some nasty hardware hacking to replace.

One of the coolest parts of the system is that it actually had a cool voice add-on that enhanced a few games. One of the new homebrews, SameGame & Robots, actually uses it too. But even cooler was the Entertainment Computer System (ECS) which offered a basic computer language, more memory and a few extra sound channels to the mix. Very few games took advantage of all the ECS's features, but nonetheless, it stands as a cool piece of equipment. If you ever fancy doing any programming on this beast, let me know as the original BASIC book that comes with the system is riddled with errors and I have a hand corrected copy that I could scan for you (with seemingly hundreds of corrections).

-zp

Harmik

Post by Harmik » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:50 am

Intellivision is an awesome system great first party games like the AD&D series, Shark Shark, Armour Battle, Sea Battle B-17 Bomber, Diner, i better stop now or i'll end up listing just about every game. I also love the controllers and think thay are very resilient to damage, there is not much that can go wrong until the plastic membrane wares through.(which takes quite some time) Although i think Intellivision one is the better unit the side buttons are much better and the disk has a better feel to it.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:15 pm

zodiacprime wrote: If you're the sort that breaks nintendo controllers, you'll easily go through a set of intelly discs... better get the Intellivsion II so that you can easily swap controllers then, as the Intelly I has hardwired ports. Once the controls are dead on the original unit, you have to do some nasty hardware hacking to replace.

One of the coolest parts of the system is that it actually had a cool voice add-on that enhanced a few games. One of the new homebrews, SameGame & Robots, actually uses it too. But even cooler was the Entertainment Computer System (ECS) which offered a basic computer language, more memory and a few extra sound channels to the mix. Very few games took advantage of all the ECS's features, but nonetheless, it stands as a cool piece of equipment. If you ever fancy doing any programming on this beast, let me know as the original BASIC book that comes with the system is riddled with errors and I have a hand corrected copy that I could scan for you (with seemingly hundreds of corrections).

-zp
Oh man, you have convinced me, I have to pick up an Intellivision. I don't think I could live with an Intellivision II, I have to get the original. Besides, hacking controllers sounds like a blast. :D

Well, off to eBay to find a "good" deal.

--Raz.

Harmik

Post by Harmik » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:49 pm

There is a shop on ebay i see all the time finestmemories that always has a Intellivision for sale usualy with about 30 to 40 games, this is what he says i have not orderd from him but it sounds good

" I have worked on Intellivision and Atari Systems for over 14 years for family, friends and as a hobby and played them since they first came out. I have over 40 years experience as an Electronic Engineer working for the Department of Defense on sophisticated radar, communications and computer equipment. Since retiring in 2002, I now am able to spend a little more time restoring & refurbishing these Classic Video Computer Systems from the past.

The Master Component has been completely taken apart, cleaned & restored thoroughly and adjusted for optimum performance. The system operates like it is new. The television presentation and colors are brilliant and the working action and functionality of every component has been evaluated and adjusted for your future years of enjoyment. The console body has also been treated to protect the finish. I know you will appreciate the attention and care I have put into the finished product."

but have a look for yourself and see what you think :)

Harmik

Post by Harmik » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:55 pm

Ow and i would definitely get it moded for A/V output Intellivisions have bad RF 8bitdomain, have the best mod i have seen he is slow on delivery but has very good products.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:22 pm

Harmik wrote:Ow and i would definitely get it moded for A/V output Intellivisions have bad RF 8bitdomain, have the best mod i have seen he is slow on delivery but has very good products.
Thanks for the head up about 8bitdomain.com, he has a ton of great kits. I would definitely like to mod some of my old consoles to allow for modern a/v connections.

--Raz.

zodiacprime

Way Beyond the Moon Baby!

Post by zodiacprime » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:20 am

Received my Space Patrol order today and haven't been able to step away from the Intellivision since. Flat out, this is one of the best Intellivision games ever. Its funny I say that since I was never a huge Moon Patrol fan, I always felt Moon Patrol was just missing that certain something to make it truly great. A fun game yes, but not great imo. Well, after 4 solid hours of play time with Space Patrol, I think I can safely say that this baby delivers that certain something and a whole lot more. This is one of the few homebrews where I feel like the _gameplay_ was tested to perfection and by doing so offers a level of polish you don't normally see in that market. It holds onto the time honored game mechanics of Moon Patrol but throws a whole new set of foes and strange environments your way - but does so in a way that challenges you without deterring you to continue. Man, you won't believe your Intellivision is doing what its doing. They pulled out all the tricks to make this one run, and it runs super smoothly. Make sure you hook up your ECS for added sound f/x and music - which are fantastic as well. Awesome stuff, don't miss out.

It's a good time to be retro!

-zp

Harmik

Re: Way Beyond the Moon Baby!

Post by Harmik » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:04 am

zodiacprime wrote:Received my Space Patrol order today and haven't been able to step away from the Intellivision since. Flat out, this is one of the best Intellivision games ever. Its funny I say that since I was never a huge Moon Patrol fan, I always felt Moon Patrol was just missing that certain something to make it truly great. A fun game yes, but not great imo. Well, after 4 solid hours of play time with Space Patrol, I think I can safely say that this baby delivers that certain something and a whole lot more. This is one of the few homebrews where I feel like the _gameplay_ was tested to perfection and by doing so offers a level of polish you don't normally see in that market. It holds onto the time honored game mechanics of Moon Patrol but throws a whole new set of foes and strange environments your way - but does so in a way that challenges you without deterring you to continue. Man, you won't believe your Intellivision is doing what its doing. They pulled out all the tricks to make this one run, and it runs super smoothly. Make sure you hook up your ECS for added sound f/x and music - which are fantastic as well. Awesome stuff, don't miss out.

It's a good time to be retro!

-zp
I got mine about a week ago and yes it is awesome, will have to try it with the ECS i have heard it had better sound :)

zodiacprime

orphan overlays - last chance

Post by zodiacprime » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:26 pm

Series III of the popular Orphan Overlays have been on sale a few days. The seller has almost burned through his entire stock - after which no more will ever be made.

As of this post there are 2 sets still available:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =p3907.m29

If you've ever seen the previous series' set go up for auction, then you know that the price he's asking for this set is an absolute steal. Get it now or pay dearly later. I've seen the previous sets go for well over $500 at auction... and this third series actually has more overlays than any previous set.
-zp

Harmik

Re: orphan overlays - last chance

Post by Harmik » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:36 pm

zodiacprime wrote:Series III of the popular Orphan Overlays have been on sale a few days. The seller has almost burned through his entire stock - after which no more will ever be made.

As of this post there are 2 sets still available:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =p3907.m29

If you've ever seen the previous series' set go up for auction, then you know that the price he's asking for this set is an absolute steal. Get it now or pay dearly later. I've seen the previous sets go for well over $500 at auction... and this third series actually has more overlays than any previous set.
-zp
Thank you so much i have been after these for a long time,when i last asked him about them he said thay were not going to be made any more. Im glad he changed his mind i have also gotten his Hardware and Software checklists of him. I did go with your link but i have noticed that he has another set of two going for $95 rather than $105 i have sent an email to ask if ther is any diferance between them, if not bumer but im just glad i got a set thanks again :)

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:51 pm

Harmik wrote: I did go with your link but i have noticed that he has another set of two going for $95 rather than $105 i have sent an email to ask if ther is any diferance between them, if not bumer but im just glad i got a set thanks again :)
I had a link to the $95 sets but at the time I posted they were showing as "0 available" and the listing did not show up in his 'for sale' listing... musta been a glitch? I'm going to email him as well... heck, 10 bucks is 10 bucks! I'm with you tho, either way this is a real deal.

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:32 am

Harmik wrote: I did go with your link but i have noticed that he has another set of two going for $95 rather than $105 i have sent an email to ask if ther is any diferance between them, if not bumer but im just glad i got a set thanks again :)
Don't you love it when things work out like this? I suspect you got the same "bonus" offer from him that I got? Wow, I can't believe what a deal this has turned out to be.
-zp

zodiacprime

Post by zodiacprime » Fri May 02, 2008 7:10 pm

Got my orphan overlay set in the mail today. I'm extremely impressed with the quality and the artwork is way better than it looks in the snapshots that are available online. I just can't get over how cool these are. A must for every Intellivision enthusiast.

@Harmik don't you think the Space Patrol overlays are a lot nicer in this set? The quality is certainly better (the originals don't even fit in my controller). I just think the ones in this set fit the game better. I wonder why they weren't used when the game was released?
-zp