Playstation 3 Hardware Walkthrough

Forum to discuss the Playstation family of consoles
raz0red
Site Admin

Playstation 3 Hardware Walkthrough

Post by raz0red » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:29 am

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=9554

Nothing too surprising here, but nice to actually see the "retail version". It looks like they removed a ton of ports that were originally shown on the back. It also looks huge to me. Although, having the power supply internal to the console is pretty cool, it will be interesting to see if it has heat issues like the 360.

--Raz.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:11 am

Interesting. I have been waiting for this. I'll take a look when I get a minute. Nice find.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:28 am

I know you guys won't read all this, as I probably wouldn't, it's a lot of words, and scary! Here is what I thought about the video.

Nice to finally see a "retail" version of the system, although judging by how much has changed since we last saw it at E3, it will be surprising if they don't' change more between now and release even though the annoying announcer said they won't. Still looks huge, and kind of silly to me, too many curves and sharp edges. I could poke my eye out with it. Kind of silly that the memory card slot has to be opened up, I see that breaking fast. Really cool though that you can use any type of flash memory as a memory card, I really like that idea. Again, USB controllers, hrm where have I seen that before ( ::cough: 360 ::cough:: ). Also, what is with the PS3 controller being exactly what a PS2 controller was except with a 360, oh I mean PS3, power button in the middle, another stolen idea from Sony. Again, gyroscope, hrm, where did they get that? Wii maybe, no. And oh yea, it's lighter, but that's because they took out the 2 weights needs for dual shock, which it no longer has. Although, the fact that you don't' need batteries for the controller and it charges on the unit is really cool. Internal power supply is kind of cool, it does streamline it as he said. And he did say "Blu-Ray" player, so maybe,just maybe it will play movies unlike a recent interview with a Sony exec had said. It is also pretty heavy, 11 lbs, that seems like a lot, but I guess with all the stuff packed into it, it is to be expected. I love how during the whole thing he doesn't even flinch when he talks about features that they clearly ripped off, he claims almost all of the new features are improvements or part of the PSP, instead of saying "Yea, this features is just like in the 360" he will give a long explanation about how it's similar to something on the PSP. Anyway, that is my breakdown of the system as seen in that video and my thoughts.

</rant>

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:53 pm

I prefer what they did in making to unit larger and putting the power supply inside. It must have to hefty current draw it looks like they stepped up to the regular pc style cord vs what the ps2 had.

I don't know why they keep harping on the light controller thing big deal it's not like the ps2 one was heavy enough to cause a problem.
Wii Wii Wii

Matt

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:47 pm

I personally like a little "beef" to my controller. I noticed that if it's too light, it seems somewhat cheaper. Kinda like the (unofficial) PC gamer test. If the box is light, it's crap. If it's heavy, get ready for a good time!

Regarding the PS3- In all honesty, I really hope the PS3 is a success. I've never drawn battle lines between the consoles and have refused to belong exclusively to one single camp. I think they all have something great to bring to the gaming communities. If only competition. More power to Sony and I wish them the best. If it's worth it, I'll make space next to my 360 for a PS3.

Okay, I'm outta here. I've got Saint's Row waiting for me in the game room...

--SjN :wink:
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:13 pm

The best part about the difference in the new consoles and the developement costs for each, is that each console will have more unique and exclusive games.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:56 am

Sony ripped off M$ guide button. I wish they would've changed the controller more. I hate the PS controller for FPS games, it sucks. It's funny how Sony waited to see M$ guide button and Nintendo's motion function to throw it in their console. That kinda makes me mad how they just copied core features frm the WII and 360. :evil:

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:29 am

R3V3N4N7 wrote:Sony ripped off M$ guide button. I wish they would've changed the controller more. I hate the PS controller for FPS games, it sucks. It's funny how Sony waited to see M$ guide button and Nintendo's motion function to throw it in their console. That kinda makes me mad how they just copied core features frm the WII and 360. :evil:
Yeah, it isn't cool when you see companies blatantly copy each other. But, it happens in all industries, not just video games. There is some saying like, "there are no original ideas" or something like that, and for the most part it is true.

Even if you look at the Wii-mote. It could be argued that they ripped off aspects of it from Sony's Eye Toy. The Eye Toy could have been said to rip aspects from Microsoft's PC-based motion sensitive controller, etc.

I guess the thing that irritates me the most is that nobody admits that they have copied (or even been influenced) by pre-existing products. That just seems shady to me. They are out and out lying to us. Makes me very hesitant to believe anything else they say.

--Raz.